Anyone know about drawing tablets?

liquidfire

My fiance wants a new one for her birthday. She has hinted at it like 3 times last week. Her birthday is in November so I am trying to shop around without her knowing and I really don't have a clue on what to get her. I am looking to spend no more than $200 on one. Sale prices would be great if I can find some decent ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from Wacom, which is certainly not budget friendly, your two choices for anything of acceptable quality are pretty much X-Pen and Huion. Both of these companies' tablets were, let's say, less than stellar performers starting out, but really upped their game in the past couple years.  I am assuming, of course that by tablet you mean the WYSIWYG LCD drawing tablets, and not the old style digitizers that have no screen. (Those are still around but becoming rather obsolete anymore.) There are a number of YouTube reviews on the various models, some of which can be found in the sub - $300 range for the smaller ones.  There is also the used market, but given the unimpressive performance of the older X-P/H tablets, I'd avoid them. Wacom's patent on the RFID pen has expired, along with most of their other patents, so we are starting to see a lot of good tablets coming out now that don't require tethered or battery powered pens. You will see a lot of cheap LCD tablets with unknown maker's names, I'd recommend to avoid them and stay with one of the big 3 makers already mentioned.  Most of the off brand ones are basically Wish.com knockoffs.  Like everything in life, you get what you pay for, and it pays to educate yourself before purchasing, so go check out those YouTube vids.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Faelwolf said:

and not the old style digitizers that have no screen. (Those are still around but becoming rather obsolete anymore.)

I still have a Wacom one. I can't remember the model number of it but I paid $70 for it new on Amazon back in 2012. I still use it but I know there are way better options now. I would love to get one with a screen myself but all the good ones, from doing research, are just too damn expensive. 

7 hours ago, mizTik said:

I still have a Wacom one. I can't remember the model number of it but I paid $70 for it new on Amazon back in 2012. I still use it but I know there are way better options now. I would love to get one with a screen myself but all the good ones, from doing research, are just too damn expensive. 

I recommend just keeping an eye out, especially with "black Friday" coming up, you might find a great deal on one.  There are also quite a few Wacom units on the used market, and used Wacom in good shape is usually a good bet, just the normal precautions apply as for any used electronics.  The great deals are out there, you just have to be persistent and ready to move on it when you find it.

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

Yeah I am going to try to get a black friday deal. Her birthday is on the 30th but she is going out of town with her sister since they are both turning 30 this year (twins). Works out for me because she will be leaving the wednesday before thanksgiving and won't be back till the 1st. We are going to celebrate her birthday the following saturday (the 7th) so assuming I can find a deal and either buy it in store or order it online and it comes on time, that will be great. 

• Like 1