Tips for catching bluegill?

PunkBuster

I’m not talking about the legendary. I don’t give a flying dung about that right now. I’m just trying to make potent predator bait but I keep getting rock bass and those tiny peckrel fish things. I am using cheese bait at the river directly south east of Braithwaite Manor, next to panther spawn 

54 minutes ago, PunkBuster said:

I’m not talking about the legendary. I don’t give a flying dung about that right now. I’m just trying to make potent predator bait but I keep getting rock bass and those tiny peckrel fish things. I am using cheese bait at the river directly south east of Braithwaite Manor, next to panther spawn 

Anecdotally, I've had success with Bluegill in standing bodies of water, like lakes or ponds, as opposed to moving water (rivers and streams).  Cheese definitely works, too. 

Spoiler

The Elysian Pool is where I got mine.

2 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Anecdotally, I've had success with Bluegill in standing bodies of water, like lakes or ponds, as opposed to moving water (rivers and streams).  Cheese definitely works, too. 

Hide contents

The Elysian Pool is where I got mine.

So the Elysian pool is the best place for bluegill or is that the legendary location? Either way I’ll go check it out. Thanks!

I can report IMMEDIATE success with Gill’s Landing ! It is the river bank directly south under where it says The Heartlands on the map, right below the railroad track and bison hunting spot. There’s also a stranger mission there, and I’m in Chapter 2. Head there if you like! 

i've only caught bluegill in lakes.  They don't like moving water (if the game is anything like reality :P and so far they're coming pretty close)  Legendary bluegill location is great for regular bluegill.  You can even use the lake lure (not the special) and get some nice sized ones.

• 1 year later...

So, you dont actually need bluegill to craft predator bait. ANY gritty fish will do. But if you want to catch bluegill, here are a few tips. They dont seem to be as aggressive as other small fish, quite often I will ignore the flashing icon indicating that I should reel the line in and I dont press RT to flick the line. Both those things will attract the rock bass, perch, and chain pickerel. They are attracted to cheese bait, but will strike bread as well. I've had lots of success in both rivers and lakes, but here are my fav spots: Dakota river (any stretch), Southfield Flats and Mattock pond, Moonstone pond and Lake Isabella. They are everywhere, so technique is everything...  goodluck!

• 2 months later...

If you want to make potent predator bait, it doesn't have to be bluegill. It just has to be the same type, IIRC gritty fish. There are bigger fish that are suitable. Catch one, put it on your horse and select break down. You probably get 3 portions, and if your game has the same glitch as mine, the fish will still be there so you can do it again. And again. And again...