.....'a huntin' and 'a fishin'.....

Firestormfan89

Just droppin' a line in the water to get y'alls thoughts on tips for hooking the perfect fish or dropping that beast to yield the perfect pelt. The compendium is great for most of this knowledge, but I never went to college and I learn best from them who know. Share your (oleander) sage advice and detail ways to bag the best skins and places to find whatever your'n a huntin' fer. 

Just now, Firestormfan89 said:

and I think small game arrows will work, one shot to the head (?)

I think it was the varmint rifle...

You can study the animal, which will allow you to see the quality of the animal and the best way to kill it.

Just now, Firestormfan89 said:

How 'bout them elk skins? I could probably find them too, but what techniques work to bring them down, intact?

Use dead eye to highlight the vital spots on an animal. Shoot for the red and you'll get the perfect pelts easily.

yep what @Truth said.  

Spoiler

Varmint rifle with a headshot for the perfect Iguana skins.  They're on the 2 largest islands in Flat Iron Lake.  You can get your seagulls and crabs there also.

Elk skins are anywhere up in the north, especially the snow areas.  Lake Isabella and north of there is a good.  You'll need a rifle for those, enhance arrow might work also.  Study them and display info (RB or R1) and it will tell you what weapon(s) to use.

For fishing, you need to know what fish you're going after.  They'll be either a lake or river fish, then they all usually prefer their own certain type of bait/lure.  When selecting your bait, the tooltip tells you which fish it's best for. Of course, you could always fish using dynamite.  Tried it once when I was looking over the challenges, was very satisfying to watch.  Also looking for the little rings in the water helps.  Usually groups of them means it's a good fishing spot. I think each one is a fish cuz I've seen em move towards my line and feel the nibble just as it reaches the bait/lure.

The legendary fish can be quite a fight.  Only reel in when they're not fighting you.  When they are fighting, pull to the side so it doesn't reel out.  When you do reel in, pull back and release the thumbstick to pull back and drop the pole, helps to reel in a bit faster.

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Truth said:

I can't wait to try that later... I'm surprised I didn't think of that...

For everything ranging between coyotes to horses, you can also go full-on "Stabby Maghee" using your lasso.  That's how I endure perfect pelts on a lot of things which already have three stars: lasso them in walk it down, and then channel my inner Marcus Junius Brutus to their Caesar.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, Firestormfan89 said:

How 'bout them elk skins? I could probably find them too, but what techniques work to bring them down, intact?

I find most elk up higher in elevation, northwest and northern parts of the map, usually in the tree-lines. I scope them first or glass them to see their rating, 1,2,3 stars. I use a rifle with express ammo, 1 shot to the head, gives me a 3 star pelt every time. 

For all the animals/game if you look at them through your binoculars then "study" them then "show info" it will recommend a weapon for the best/cleanest kill.

7 hours ago, houseofcantor said:

Springfield rifle with short scope solves a lot of hunting issues (medium to large). Also the buck trinket to add a star to all pelts. That's what I'm about to do, hunt that buck.

I figured something was gone on, I didn't realize it did that. I killed the legendary buck mainly for the trapping/crafting stuff but have noticed that almost all of my recent kills are now 3 stars, I was like WOW I used to get 1 and 2 stars a lot, now all the 2s are 3s I guess.