So why does it take like 6 shots to kill someone?

Tom21

Anyone else notice how different the shooting and targeting is compared to the first game? I dont really see how one could not notice it, its annoying. The game really incentivizes headshots by making you shoot someone like 5 times with a repeater carbine to kill them. Maybe I have to unlock a better rifle/repeater.

Edited by Tom21

If in doubt, hit the head, Bud. Also waiting a couple of seconds to pull the trigger can help stabalise the weapon. The guns of the period aren't exactly what you'd call the most accurate, so take your time, and, once again, aim for the head. :)

The damage model of this game has little to do with any historical significance of the accuracy or lethality of weapons of the period.  .....which by the way were plenty accurate.  

Yeah, the damage is spongy but then again, the game itself is rather arcadey in that respect so it is what it is.  R* games are also heavily dependent on auto aim so go figure.  I still love the RDR and GTA series though.

The carbine, especially with basic ammo and if uncleaned, is really only any use for headshots.  It's weak sauce. If you want to be able to do real damage with a repeater with bodyshots then you have to upgrade to a litchfield or lancaster, preferably with rifiling and upgraded ammo etc.

Of course, if you are happy with always going for headshots you're simply better off with the varmint rifle (top tier PvP weapon until they nerf it).

And if you want to maximise damage for body shots and arent attached to the rate of fire of repeaters then obviously shottys and bolt action are the way to go.  Or a bow.  Or dynamite! :)

32 minutes ago, Poggy said:

The carbine, especially with basic ammo and if uncleaned, is really only any use for headshots.  It's weak sauce. If you want to be able to do real damage with a repeater with bodyshots then you have to upgrade to a litchfield or lancaster, preferably with rifiling and upgraded ammo etc.

Of course, if you are happy with always going for headshots you're simply better off with the varmint rifle (top tier PvP weapon until they nerf it).

And if you want to maximise damage for body shots and arent attached to the rate of fire of repeaters then obviously shottys and bolt action are the way to go.  Or a bow.  Or dynamite! :)

If im level 27 right now, what rifle/repeater should I get? Right now I have nothing but a varmine rifle and the repeater carbine. Im thinking a bolt action would be my best bet?

I'm no PVP expert - not by a long stretch.  But my core answer would be: depends upon your play style.

Do you want to snipe people from a long distance and use the same rifle for hunting?  Bolt action.

Do you want a rapid fire, medium range rifle?  Lancaster repeater.

Do you want to save money, are fine getting medium range headshots in PVP, and want to hunt birds?  Varmint rifle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poggy said:

I'm no PVP expert - not by a long stretch.  But my core answer would be: depends upon your play style.

Do you want to snipe people from a long distance and use the same rifle for hunting?  Bolt action.

Do you want a rapid fire, medium range rifle?  Lancaster repeater.

Do you want to save money, are fine getting medium range headshots in PVP, and want to hunt birds?  Varmint rifle.

If you play on ps4 you should add me. Tommyboypwns21

12 hours ago, Tom21 said:

Anyone else notice how different the shooting and targeting is compared to the first game? I dont really see how one could not notice it, its annoying. The game really incentivizes headshots by making you shoot someone like 5 times with a repeater carbine to kill them. Maybe I have to unlock a better rifle/repeater.

Better guns can only take 1 or 2 shots, but they really are pushing the whole head shot thing.  Yesterday, in PvP against a gentleman probably hit him 6 times before I got him cause it kept popping in and out of cover making it hard to nail the head shot.  Don't get me wrong, he was a really good player, but it was a pain to kill him.

All repeating rifles until 1895 were made in pistol calipers.  The trapdoor is 45/70, it will one shot buffalo. Thats what they were used for and the reason I own there of them.

As far as pistol calibers go. For short range, and knock down the 45 colt rained supreme until 1936 (invent of the 357mag by Elmer Keith)