Jump to content

Truth: The Secret Alliance between Horses and Cougars


YodaMan 3D
 Share

Recommended Posts

Riding along this morning got on to do some hunting.  As I am riding to one of my favorite spots I see a red dot appear off the side of the road.  So I steer the horse around it and try to focus on what is coming at me.  Normally at this point I hop off the horse before it freaks.  Didn't get the chance, a cougar comes at me, the horse freaks.  I get tossed in the air, so I am thinking ok I will land, grab my gun no prob.  Nope not this time, while flipping through the air, the cougar goes all Air Jordan on me and kills me before I land.  Well that sucked, but kind of neat to see.  Don't want that to happen again.  Re-spawn, my horse is about the same spot I died.  So I head that way gun ready.   No predator, so I climb up on the horse.  Cougar comes back and almost a repeat of my last death, except at least I hit the ground this time before it attacked me.  Still unable to re-spawn in time cause apparently flipping through the air takes great concentration.    Kind of losing the fun element here at this point re-spawn.  Stupid horse still where it helped get me killed.  This time I call it to me.  Gun ready.  No cougar present, hop on my horse, start to ride, BAM!  Stupid cougar!  Stupid horse!  This time I just lay there and collect my thoughts.  No hurry to load back in at that point.  Will try later, just figure that the word should get out that apparently Cougars and Horses are working together and figured you all should know.  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Riding along this morning got on to do some hunting.  As I am riding to one of my favorite spots I see a red dot appear off the side of the road.  So I steer the horse around it and try to focus on what is coming at me.  Normally at this point I hop off the horse before it freaks.  Didn't get the chance, a cougar comes at me, the horse freaks.  I get tossed in the air, so I am thinking ok I will land, grab my gun no prob.  Nope not this time, while flipping through the air, the cougar goes all Air Jordan on me and kills me before I land.  Well that sucked, but kind of neat to see.  Don't want that to happen again.  Re-spawn, my horse is about the same spot I died.  So I head that way gun ready.   No predator, so I climb up on the horse.  Cougar comes back and almost a repeat of my last death, except at least I hit the ground this time before it attacked me.  Still unable to re-spawn in time cause apparently flipping through the air takes great concentration.    Kind of losing the fun element here at this point re-spawn.  Stupid horse still where it helped get me killed.  This time I call it to me.  Gun ready.  No cougar present, hop on my horse, start to ride, BAM!  Stupid cougar!  Stupid horse!  This time I just lay there and collect my thoughts.  No hurry to load back in at that point.  Will try later, just figure that the word should get out that apparently Cougars and Horses are working together and figured you all should know.  ;)

What kind of horse do you ride? Arabians are notorious cowards that will buck you at the slightest whiff of a predator. Whenever I'm riding through cougar country, especially through known cougar spawn locations, I ride real slow, spam eagle eye and listen for any nearby cougar roars. The moment I detect one, I'm off my horse ready to put a bullet in its head before it gets within 10 feet of me. That being said, there are times where it will spawn right on top of you and you get zero time to react. For me if that happens though, my health is at level 10, so I can survive the initial attack, fight it off and then shoot it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now I am using a Thoroughbred.  I normally hop off at 1st sign, to avoid what happened this morning.  It was just funny that, the cougar wouldn't show up till I would hop on the dam horse and it did it to me repeatedly.  Each time I wasn't given a chance to kill the cougar, cause my horse would freak before I could get away from it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, Vaderspupil said:

Arabians are notorious cowards that will buck you at the slightest whiff of a predator.

Seriously!? I had no idea this was a thing. Now it is making more sense. I must have glossed over horse personalities or something. I can't tell you how many times I been flung off my horse and I couldn't figure out why. haha 

I think I will catch a "braver" horse. Which is considered the bravest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FLIP said:

Seriously!? I had no idea this was a thing. Now it is making more sense. I must have glossed over horse personalities or something. I can't tell you how many times I been flung off my horse and I couldn't figure out why. haha 

I think I will catch a "braver" horse. Which is considered the bravest?

I don't remember their names, but any built like a warhorse and that aren't racing horses or arabians

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FLIP said:

Seriously!? I had no idea this was a thing. Now it is making more sense. I must have glossed over horse personalities or something. I can't tell you how many times I been flung off my horse and I couldn't figure out why. haha 

I think I will catch a "braver" horse. Which is considered the bravest?

It's a hidden stat, you just kind of have to know from experience. The Fox Trotter or Turkoman are good for this or a war horse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, YodaMan 3D said:

Riding along this morning got on to do some hunting.  As I am riding to one of my favorite spots I see a red dot appear off the side of the road.  So I steer the horse around it and try to focus on what is coming at me.  Normally at this point I hop off the horse before it freaks.  Didn't get the chance, a cougar comes at me, the horse freaks.  I get tossed in the air, so I am thinking ok I will land, grab my gun no prob.  Nope not this time, while flipping through the air, the cougar goes all Air Jordan on me and kills me before I land.  Well that sucked, but kind of neat to see.  Don't want that to happen again.  Re-spawn, my horse is about the same spot I died.  So I head that way gun ready.   No predator, so I climb up on the horse.  Cougar comes back and almost a repeat of my last death, except at least I hit the ground this time before it attacked me.  Still unable to re-spawn in time cause apparently flipping through the air takes great concentration.    Kind of losing the fun element here at this point re-spawn.  Stupid horse still where it helped get me killed.  This time I call it to me.  Gun ready.  No cougar present, hop on my horse, start to ride, BAM!  Stupid cougar!  Stupid horse!  This time I just lay there and collect my thoughts.  No hurry to load back in at that point.  Will try later, just figure that the word should get out that apparently Cougars and Horses are working together and figured you all should know.  ;)

The trick is to carry a young  buck on your horse to distract the cougar. Cougars love young bucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...