Has anybody figured out how to get a specific horse as a specific gender?

Raga

So my last playthrough, I ended up with all mares because the horses I wanted happened to be all mares, but I know that the gender can vary.  My question: has anybody figured out at what point horse gender gets determined if you wanted to try to get a specific horse as male or female?

Is it at the beginning of a chapter when new horses pop up in stables?  So for instance if I save a game and reload the end of Chapter 1 over and over, would the genders of the horses made available in chapter 2 stables vary each time?

If a horse I bought at a stable dies, does a replacement horse of the same breed and color eventually show up in that stable to buy?  If so, is the new horses gender randomized or is it always the same as the dead one? (Not that horse assassination would be ideal, but hey, if it works).

Or for that matter, could I just buy a horse and take it to horse fence or something to force a new horse of the same breed/color to appear in that slot in the stable?

I'm willing to take some time to experiment on my own with this, but I figured I'd ask first just to save time if anybody else has deduced any particular pattern here. 

I believe in the Stable before you purchase a horse you can select Male or Female (if I recall correctly its Left/Right on the directional pad) and wild horses can vary (but I've always read that the White Arabian is always Female)

Aside from the different dialogue to your horses, I had hoped there would/will be deeper mechanics with the genders, like perhaps the addition of breeding (but that's pretty "RPG")

2 hours ago, Moosh89 said:

I believe in the Stable before you purchase a horse you can select Male or Female (if I recall correctly its Left/Right on the directional pad) and wild horses can vary (but I've always read that the White Arabian is always Female)

Aside from the different dialogue to your horses, I had hoped there would/will be deeper mechanics with the genders, like perhaps the addition of breeding (but that's pretty "RPG")

Is it really that simple?  I'm going to try this when I get home.  If that's really it and I missed it, I'm quite a dumbass. 

Well I confirmed that there is no horse gender toggle.   However, if you just save your  game near a stable and keep reloading the game the genders of the horses do change.

Edited by Raga
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Loganw said:

I believe he’s asking about the story mode, playing online yes you can choose the gender but in story mode it’s random

......which probably why this thread is in the story mode section and the OP refers to Chapters, etc.  ;)

I'm not sure the OP will respond either way though given they haven't been back for over a year and a half