What do you think of this set up? (Ability Cards)

Born Homicidal

Question

So I'm Level 41 and I haven't upgraded any of my abilities as I'm waiting for lvl 50 to unlock them all, anyways this is my planned set up and was wondering what you all think of it.

any suggestions and feedback are welcomed, just please explain the pros and cons etc... I am a free aim player so I usually go for Body shots and get the headshot here and there and won't be affected by not being able to lock on, so some of these definitely help my playstyle better

My setup would involve any of these abilities (in no order):

compliments to the RDR2.ORG staff for making these ability card guides so I can copy and paste.

dead eye:
Slow and Steady

The Slow and Steady Ability Card allows players to take less damage while in Dead Eye, and any headshots you receive will not be lethal. The downside is that it's not possible to sprint and run.

or

Slippery Bastard

The Slippery Bastard Ability Card radically changes Dead Eye, as it prevents players from getting locked on by enemies. As a downside, the user also cannot lock onto enemies. Enemies' accuracy is also reduced, and the Dead Eye bar drains much faster than usual.

Perk 1:

Winning Streak

The Winning Streak Ability Card increases damage for each consecutive shot at the same target.

Perk 2:

Peak Condition

The Peak Condition Ability Card increases damage dealt to enemies if the Stamina bar is at least 75% full.

Perk 3:

Strange Medicine

The Strange Medicine Ability Card restore some health every time the player deals damage to enemies. Normal health regeneration, however, is cut in half.

or

Never without One

The Never Without One Ability Card protects players from a single headshot when the hat is equipped. Damage, however, is increased when not equipping one.

thanks for your help and thoughtful suggestions/feedback.

Edited by Born Homicidal

13 answers to this question

This really all comes down to your style of gaming. I am the same way where I like to freely shoot. I will do headshots now and then but I would much rather run and gun, blowing people back with body shots. I prefer Slippery Bastard for this reason when it comes to dead eye.

1 hour ago, jACKx said:

This really all comes down to your style of gaming. I am the same way where I like to freely shoot. I will do headshots now and then but I would much rather run and gun, blowing people back with body shots. I prefer Slippery Bastard for this reason when it comes to dead eye.

Glad to hear you enjoy free aim. True it seems slippery bastard would be very beneficial against the auto aimers, but considering the amount it costs to upgrade to lvl 3 would it be a good investment if free aim lobbies came out? Hmmm well then again who knows if and when they'll come out so maybe I'd actually get that and combine it with never without one to get the full effect.

Thanks for your input.

i use tier 3 never without one in freeroam but in showdown i dont. slow and steady.  winning streak and peak condition are good too.  i love landons patience for me its very effective.  i tried strange medicine but felt it wasnt needed. trial and error will help you find whats best for your play style. i prefer overpowered in showdown as it helps combat the latency lag and hit box issues

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Born Homicidal said:

So I'm Level 41 and I haven't upgraded any of my abilities as I'm waiting for lvl 50 to unlock them all, anyways this is my planned set up and was wondering what you all think of it.

any suggestions and feedback are welcomed, just please explain the pros and cons etc... I am a free aim player so I usually go for Body shots and get the headshot here and there and won't be affected by not being able to lock on, so some of these definitely help my playstyle better

My setup would involve any of these abilities (in no order):

compliments to the RDR2.ORG staff for making these ability card guides so I can copy and paste.

dead eye:
Slow and Steady

The Slow and Steady Ability Card allows players to take less damage while in Dead Eye, and any headshots you receive will not be lethal. The downside is that it's not possible to sprint and run.

or

Slippery Bastard

The Slippery Bastard Ability Card radically changes Dead Eye, as it prevents players from getting locked on by enemies. As a downside, the user also cannot lock onto enemies. Enemies' accuracy is also reduced, and the Dead Eye bar drains much faster than usual.

Perk 1:

Winning Streak

The Winning Streak Ability Card increases damage for each consecutive shot at the same target.

Perk 2:

Peak Condition

The Peak Condition Ability Card increases damage dealt to enemies if the Stamina bar is at least 75% full.

Perk 3:

Strange Medicine

The Strange Medicine Ability Card restore some health every time the player deals damage to enemies. Normal health regeneration, however, is cut in half.

or

Never without One

The Never Without One Ability Card protects players from a single headshot when the hat is equipped. Damage, however, is increased when not equipping one.

thanks for your help and thoughtful suggestions/feedback.

I have tier 3, Slow and Steady, Peak Condition, Strange Medicine, Never Without One.

I use a bolt action rifle with explosive express rounds. Max damage / one shot kill to body. I call this load out : The Equaliser. 

Edited by dredd1961
  • Like 2

I have found the best set up for showdowns to be 

Slow and Steady

Winning Streak

Strange Medicine

Eye for an Eye 

It certainly upsets the varmint headshot brigade as you can take several point blank headshots before dying so gives you the time to retaliate.

Admittedly I have all 4 at max level and it does feel overpowered but certainly helps with the grind.

Everyone should pick to their own playstyle but until they nerf the varmint rifle, I take great satisfaction from upsetting the auto aim jockeys.

Needless to say it works well in free aim too but only if you get the chance to activate dead eye before the headshots come 😉

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 11:32 PM, dredd1961 said:

I have tier 3, Slow and Steady, Peak Condition, Strange Medicine, Never Without One.

I use a bolt action rifle with explosive express rounds. Max damage / one shot kill to body. I call this load out : The Equaliser. 

those rounds are OP lol, literally will destroy anything

• Haha 1

My preferred combo when going into battle  is slow & steady, unblinking eye, cold blooded and eye for an eye. Slow & steady will prevent headshots while in dead eye and reduce damage taken, unblinking eye extends dead eye and eagle eye time, cold blooded will refill some of your health bar for 5 seconds after you kill an enemy and eye for an eye restores some back to your dead eye bar for a successful headshot. Now before you go into battle, pop a minty big game meat, a thyme big game meat and some tonics to reinforce your dead eye and health bars and you can pretty much stand out in the open absorbing bullets like a sponge and mowing down enemies with headshots and keep it going for quite awhile.

• Like 1

I can't get on with Slippery Bastard, so have reverted to Slow and Steady.  My settled load out is:

Slow and Steady

Peak Condition

Strange Medicine

Never Without One

there is a real synergy between S&S and NWO - the first shot comes in, takes your hat off, which is the hint to go into dead eye so that the next one doesn't kill you either.

For any PvP situation I tend to use a Springfield with HV ammo.  That, with peak condition, is more or less guaranteed a 2 shot body kill at any range (should I miss the head for some reason) and strange medicine is feeding health back in while the first 2 incoming head shots are failing to finish me off.  If I'm not using the Springfield it's probably because things have got up close, in which case I'm probably shotgunning (usually pump action, but just switched to double barrelled for style points!).  Either way, its all about the high damage output, so Winning Streak has never featured in my setup - if my first 2 shots with whatever I'm holding haven't put 'em down, the plan's out of the window anyway!

I can see that if you're playing a different style, with a quick repeater or dual wielded revolvers/mausers, say, WS might make more sense.

Other play styles are available!

18 minutes ago, Harlock1796 said:

I can't get on with Slippery Bastard, so have reverted to Slow and Steady.  My settled load out is:

Slow and Steady

Peak Condition

Strange Medicine

Never Without One

there is a real synergy between S&S and NWO - the first shot comes in, takes your hat off, which is the hint to go into dead eye so that the next one doesn't kill you either.

For any PvP situation I tend to use a Springfield with HV ammo.  That, with peak condition, is more or less guaranteed a 2 shot body kill at any range (should I miss the head for some reason) and strange medicine is feeding health back in while the first 2 incoming head shots are failing to finish me off.  If I'm not using the Springfield it's probably because things have got up close, in which case I'm probably shotgunning (usually pump action, but just switched to double barrelled for style points!).  Either way, its all about the high damage output, so Winning Streak has never featured in my setup - if my first 2 shots with whatever I'm holding haven't put 'em down, the plan's out of the window anyway!

I can see that if you're playing a different style, with a quick repeater or dual wielded revolvers/mausers, say, WS might make more sense.

Other play styles are available!

The thing I don't like about NWO is you're pretty much restricted to fighting on horseback, if you want to have a hat available to you at all times. Without a hat you take more damage. This can be negated by going into dead eye with S&S, but then you are essentially taking normal damage.

25 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

The thing I don't like about NWO is you're pretty much restricted to fighting on horseback, if you want to have a hat available to you at all times. Without a hat you take more damage. This can be negated by going into dead eye with S&S, but then you are essentially taking normal damage.

I can see that.

However, I'm a big fan of not being dead. In my experience, I'm most often dead because someone has shot me in the head.

If I can be shot in the head once and still be alive, that gives me all sorts of options that wouldn't be available to me if I was dead. 

I'd rather not be taking the extra damage for not having a hat, but the next thing that's going to kill me is probably another headshot anyway, so who cares about the extra damage?

Body shots I can kinda cope with, because a combination of those big Springfield slugs and strange medicine replenish health pretty quickly. 

If I'm hatless in what is becoming a protracted fire fight, I'll duck behind a rock and swap out NWO for Landons Patience, which is the only other card I have at level 3.

23 minutes ago, Harlock1796 said:

I can see that.

However, I'm a big fan of not being dead. In my experience, I'm most often dead because someone has shot me in the head.

If I can be shot in the head once and still be alive, that gives me all sorts of options that wouldn't be available to me if I was dead. 

I'd rather not be taking the extra damage for not having a hat, but the next thing that's going to kill me is probably another headshot anyway, so who cares about the extra damage?

Body shots I can kinda cope with, because a combination of those big Springfield slugs and strange medicine replenish health pretty quickly. 

If I'm hatless in what is becoming a protracted fire fight, I'll duck behind a rock and swap out NWO for Landons Patience, which is the only other card I have at level 3.

I've to be honest. I have yet to use my setup in a pvp situation(mainly because I hate to waste dead eye), only against NPCs while clearing out enemy hideouts. It works wonders for that. Usually when I get headshot, I'm at my most vulnerable, either, skinning an animal, picking herbs or looking at my map. Doesn't bother me too much unless I've got some really valuable cargo on my horse from hunting. Either way as soon as I spawn back in, I'll make a bee line right back to them to make sure they get 5he message that I'm the wrong guy to mess with.

• Like 2