Where are the moose and bison????

Jeebus 816

Question

I've looked and looked and can't find any moose or bison. I've got bison marked on my map south east of Valentine and I've cheated and read where to find the moose ( or are they meese when talking plural :) ), but I can't find them to save my life.

10 answers to this question

I was thinking the exact thing the other day until Cripps spawned my camp in a location SE of Valentine.  I had about 10 Bison all around me. They even ran right through my camp at one point as they were spooked by a horse and carriage.

I would hunt 1, bring it into Valentine to sell, and then repeat.  At one point, I tried skinning one and leaving the carcass in my camp until I returned but it was gone when I came back.  I've now seen them in the same area a couple of times since.  

I have found moose spawn right along the road in ambarino near the fairwale shanty. I have gotten both male and female moose there. Yesterday I got a 3 star bull moose there.

bison, you can find them in the heartlands (go towards the overflow area) at the first of the game or between Blackwater and beechers hope later in the game

On 2/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, Jeebus 816 said:

I've looked and looked and can't find any moose or bison. I've got bison marked on my map south east of Valentine and I've cheated and read where to find the moose ( or are they meese when talking plural :) ), but I can't find them to save my life.

You can find moose up near Lake Isabella, and sometimes you can find them along the Dakota River just north and northeast of Diablo Ridge, on the east side of the river.

You'll always see bison between the oil refinery and Emerald Station

Edited by Kormath

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, Kormath said:

You can find moose up near Lake Isabella, and sometimes you can find them along the Dakota River just north and northeast of Diablo Ridge, on the east side of the river.

You'll always see bison between the oil refinery and Emerald Station

The only moose I've ever seen was at Lake Isabella. Unfortunately, I was busy with a certain Arabian horse that likes to hang out up there. I did read another post today ( I think it was yours) about hunting on foot, which is what I was doing when I saw the first one. I've just been moving around on Hoofenstuff through the woods scanning with eagle eye and my binoculars. I'll try walking it tonight when I can get some game time in.

I found a few moose around Cairn lake above the "M" in "Ambarino".. if you set down 3-4 herbivore bait, sneak away and then turn back there's a slight chance a moose will spawn, if it doesn't just reload your save and do the process over again, I managed to get around 7 perfect pelts in two hours by doing that but it seems to only spawn female moose.

For bull moose, just do laps around Lake Isabella, I found one laying down in the middle of the Lake after twenty minutes.

The legendary moose is to the far northeast. Travel Northeast on the road next to the RR tracks. As soon as you get the prompt on your screen saying there is a legendary animal in the area (just before you reach the water), look to the left using your hunting vision or detective mode or whatever..... you should see the first clue. This one was a little tricky to track.

Edited by tusken186

Moose are tricky, I saw one by The Dakota river near Cumberland falls, another just east of the Wapiti indian res at the lake, I saw one at Lake Owijilla, and you can usually find one up at Lake Elizibeth I think or Cairn, one of those wintery frozen lakes you will find a big white moose, I saw a white one, a brown one with redish brown antlers, it was massive and beautiful and then one just what I would call normal, and all are very impressive, I have seen on;y the ones I mentioned in three very lengthy play through's.

Bison on the other hand are very easy to find.

You can either follow the tracks from Valentine to Rhodes and keep an eye out, you will see them near the tracks or a little east of the tracks, also, between Valentine and emerald ranch where the wild horses are you will see them, you do two separate missions in this area, one for the photographer and one for Mary Linton's brother, anyway in that area, there are ALWAYS bison's.

Edited by lumper