Reverse Griefing...

virgil_caine

Question

Lol so last night a friend and I were at camp getting ready to run stranger missions and an other player approached our camp and waved so we obliged and both waved back. This other player then started shooting at us from the edge of our camp ,we tried to ignore it as we were in camp. So I lowered the flag and killed him.  Hoping he would go away, he did not...

We then left and went on our mission. This other player followed us and kept trying to kill us, after repeatedly killing him I checked to see what level he was.

He was a level 5. A level freaking 5! Lol

Even though they were the aggressor I felt bad

we had to run away from this level 5 so he could live. Lol

Is this a form of reverse griefing? Lol

had to share as we were laughing our butts off about it last night.

what possesses  these players, is it ego or just plain stupidity?

• Haha 2

11 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, virgil_caine said:

Lol so last night a friend and I were at camp getting ready to run stranger missions and an other player approached our camp and waved so we obliged and both waved back. This other player then started shooting at us from the edge of our camp ,we tried to ignore it as we were in camp. So I lowered the flag and killed him.  Hoping he would go away, he did not...

We then left and went on our mission. This other player followed us and kept trying to kill us, after repeatedly killing him I checked to see what level he was.

He was a level 5. A level freaking 5! Lol

Even though they were the aggressor I felt bad

we had to run away from this level 5 so he could live. Lol

Is this a form of reverse griefing? Lol

had to share as we were laughing our butts off about it last night.

what possesses  these players, is it ego or just plain stupidity?

I'm thinking a deadly mixture of both ! Lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

I'm thinking a deadly mixture of both ! Lol

Me too. We even sent him a posse invite as I thought hey maybe this is this guys weird way of trying to make friends lol no dice he was like The Terminator without the finish he just kept coming and coming...

• Haha 2

Griefers come in all forms.  .....and there are more and more of them cropping up that are low level. 

I've been in the same boat where we have had to continually kill a low level player simply because he would not go away.  We report them and block them.  Sometimes it's us that have to eventually leave the session.  Gets old really fast IMO as there is no challenge nor desire to continue.

This may change with the new update however.  With a bounty and NPC posses in the mix, they will likely have their hands full allowing victims to simply move on while they are stuck defending themselves from the law.  Also, I doubt many would welcome a Feud.  The darkening blip and detection won't do them any favors either as I'm sure there are those who are just waiting at the chance to take these griefers out using that new mechanic as a tool to hunt them down. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Griefers come in all forms.  .....and there are more and more of them cropping up that are low level. 

I've been in the same boat where we have had to continually kill a low level player simply because he would not go away.  We report them and block them.  Sometimes it's us that have to eventually leave the session.  Gets old really fast IMO as there is no challenge nor desire to continue.

This may change with the new update however.  With a bounty and NPC posses in the mix, they will likely have their hands full allowing victims to simply move on while they are stuck defending themselves from the law.  Also, I doubt many would welcome a Feud.  The darkening blip and detection won't do them any favors either as I'm sure there are those who are just waiting at the chance to take these griefers out using that new mechanic as a tool to hunt them down. 

It makes me wonder now if most of the griefing claims are exaggerated a little by lower level players.

”You’re being griefed? And I’m sure you did nothing, right?” Lol

Also...

I noticed last night that lawmen posse’s seem to have a quicker response time and come in greater numbers now, or was that just me? Anyone else notice this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, virgil_caine said:

Also...

I noticed last night that lawmen posse’s seem to have a quicker response time and come in greater numbers now, or was that just me? Anyone else notice this?

With all the weird stuff people have been experiencing lately, it wouldn;'t surprise me if it was due to tweaks they have been making on their end in preparation for the update next week.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

You nailed it bud ! Just waiting ! Lol

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, virgil_caine said:

It makes me wonder now if most of the griefing claims are exaggerated a little by lower level players.

”You’re being griefed? And I’m sure you did nothing, right?” Lol

Also...

Yes sir ! There aim is better too ! Better not sleep on the Npcs ! Lol

• Haha 1

Let's try to look at this from a different perspective. 

The game did not come with a guide on how to play it...and I'm glad for that. I'm sure there are a lot of people who hop on and think everyone they meet is a foe. That this game is a shooter. I bet you the term 'griefer', or even the concept, would be pretty foreign to them.  

For many (not all), I would think they'd regard what the OP has described as simply playing the game...trying to get better...giving it the old college try...never giving up. They don't really get it yet...especially being a lower level. 

Not everyone has gone on the internet in hopes of learning how to be a better RDO member. 

Obviously, there are many who also grief for sport. Those are usually much higher levels, though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Xped said:

The game did not come with a guide on how to play it...and I'm glad for that. I'm sure there are a lot of people who hop on and think everyone they meet is a foe. That this game is a shooter. I bet you the term 'griefer', or even the concept, would be pretty foreign to them.  

For many (not all), I would think they'd regard what the OP has described as simply playing the game...trying to get better...giving it the old college try...never giving up. They don't really get it yet...especially being a lower level. 

Not everyone has gone on the internet in hopes of learning how to be a better RDO member. 

Obviously, there are many who also grief for sport. Those are usually much higher levels, though. 

Yep yep.  The truth will set you free ! Good call on this. Lower level grieves believe that's how the game plays and higher ranked grieves are simply bullys looking to make a name in the wild West !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xped said:

This makes total sense. Thanks!