Legendary fish glitch?

Robo

Question

24 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, Robo said:

I've caught all 15 legendary fish and all 15 species but it says I've only caught 14 of 15. Is this a glitch? I would really like to finish the survivalist challenge. 

There's 15 legendary fish and 30 total species of fish (counting the legendary).  If you tap left on the D-pad and look at the survivalist challenge it should have all 30 fish listed and checked off to show what one you're missing.  Here's the full list of fish in the game -

1. Bluegill 
  2. Bullhead Catfish 
  3. Chain Pickerel 
  4. Channel Catfish 
  5. Lake Sturgeon 
  6. Largemouth Bass 
  7. Longnose Gar 
  8. Muskie 
  9. Northern Pike 
  10. Perch 
  11. Redfin Pickerel 
  12. Rock Bass 
  13. Smallmouth Bass 
  14. Sockeye Salmon 
  15. Steelhead Trout 
  16. Legendary Bluegill 
  17. Legendary Bullhead Catfish 
  18. Legendary Chain Pickerel 
  19. Legendary Channel Catfish 
  20. Legendary Lake Sturgeon 
  21. Legendary Largemouth Bass 
  22. Legendary Longnose Gar 
  23. Legendary Muskie 
  24. Legendary Northern Pike 
  25. Legendary Perch 
  26. Legendary Redfin Pickerel 
  27. Legendary Rock Bass 
  28. Legendary Smallmouth Bass 
  29. Legendary Sockeye Salmon 
  30. Legendary Steelhead Trout 

Numerous websites online with the fishing locations for all the legendary fish. Powerpyx is one i like to use.

So it's a bit confusing,  2 legendary fish are caught only in missions, the Legendary Northern Pike and the Channel Cat, but it looks like you can catch the Channel Cat after the fishing mission is over with Jeremy, or so i've read on a few sites.  One of my legendary fish glitched, so i can't do this to confirm.

The Northern Pike you can only catch in the Stranger missions from the Veteran in chapter 6.  At least that's what i've been reading and that was when i caught him.  So if someone has caught the Legendary Northern Pike after that mission series is over, please correct me :)

Edited by Kormath

12 minutes ago, Robo said:

Thank you so much. I still have the Legendary Channel Catfish to catch. I've heard it's impossible to land though?

dunno on that, i can't do that part as one of my legendary fish glitched and don't want to go way to the beginning of epilogue 2 and do all that over just for the fish.

I never was able to complete this and I have played the game twice. I can't be bothered with it anymore. I am not sure what the problem is. It seems that one solution works for some and not for others. Some players have said they caught all the fish and got it regardless of what it said in their records.  

Ok, so the Legendary Channel Catchfish is (as far as we know) is uncatchable; if it was catchable, it would have been documented by now.

The Legendary Northern Pike is part of a stranger mission.

Neither of these fish form part of the Legendary Fish list required for game completion.

I believe that the glitch involves you catching the fish, but it not being crossed off on the map?

I saw a post on Reddit that if the legendary fish is marked off in your compendium, that's all you need.  I forget whether or not the collectable strand is marked as complete when you've sent your last fish or when you've completed the end with Jeremy.

I did have an issue where I had to catch the Legendary Perch twice, presumably because I died.

14 hours ago, Robo said:

I've caught all 15 legendary fish and all 15 species but it says I've only caught 14 of 15. Is this a glitch? I would really like to finish the survivalist challenge. 

So I had this problem to but to finish the survivalist challenge you don't need to catch the legendary you just have to catch one of each if you're playing on PS sequentially push the down and then left d-pad buttons and it will open up a task list, if you select survivalist 9 it will tell you the next fish you need to catch to progressed the challenge ( unlike herbalist 10 it doesn't have to be done in order but you do have to catch one of every 15 and they will only tell you one at a time...) . I had a very hard time catching the channel catfish and found out personally that it was in rivers not swamps so you use a swamp lure for it ... anytime you get near a body of water use your Eagle Vision and see if there are any big catfish ( you can tell by the face) 

The guide says they like overcast weather and foilage areas of the swamp, I spent days in the swamp to no avail and then I was walking by a river saw the guy ( they are very large) and caught him in a single cast of my swamp lure ( they are only attracted to swamp lures and the spinner) 

I hope this answers all your questions

Thanks, yes you did answer all my questions. I have caught all the fish species and all but the Channel Cat Fish Legendary Fish but it says I've only caught 14 of 15 on my challenge so it won't  let me complete it. On the Compendium listing it shows I have caught all of them but under the Survivalist Challenge it says 14 of 15. I even went around and caught all the fish species again!!! I'm sick of fishing so I'm just giving up on the survivalist challenge. Bummer though as I have 100's of hours on attempting it.

8 minutes ago, Robo said:

Thanks, yes you did answer all my questions. I have caught all the fish species and all but the Channel Cat Fish Legendary Fish but it says I've only caught 14 of 15 on my challenge so it won't  let me complete it. On the Compendium listing it shows I have caught all of them but under the Survivalist Challenge it says 14 of 15. I even went around and caught all the fish species again!!! I'm sick of fishing so I'm just giving up on the survivalist challenge. Bummer though as I have 100's of hours on attempting it.

No man you can complete it! Check the task list and if it tells you that you need a channel catfish, you don't need the legendary one you just need to go catch a channel catfish( it might even tell you you need a bluegill) and remember that it is not catch and release!

the challenge has absolutely nothing to do with the legendary fish as you can catch all the legendary fish before you even start that challenged and you cannot re catch the fish...

Edited by Dewy1314

1 minute ago, Dewy1314 said:

No man you can complete it! Check the task list and if it tells you that you need a channel catfish, you don't need the legendary one you just need to go catch a channel catfish... the challenge has absolutely nothing to do with the legendary fish as you can catch all the legendary fish before you even start that challenged and you cannot re catch the fish...

My task list says I have caught them all and all of my Legendary Fish on the map have been "X" out except my Channel Catfish. I can't seem to catch it!

1 minute ago, Foxtrot said:

The challenge log will give you a list of the fish you need.  Bear in mind that the legendary fish don't appear to count - you have to catch a "normal" kind of the fish in question.

When you select survivalist 9 on your task list, what does it say what is the unchecked Box?

2 minutes ago, Robo said:

My task list says I have caught them all and all of my Legendary Fish on the map have been "X" out except my Channel Catfish. I can't seem to catch it!

I even went around again and caught every species of fish twice just to make sure I didn't miss one or that maybe the game would record it but it didn't!

Just now, Robo said:

I even went around again and caught every species of fish twice just to make sure I didn't miss one or that maybe the game would record it but it didn't!

I don't think my thumb can take anymore fishing. Ha Ha...

Ok, let me ask this another way.  Is your problem with Survivalist 9, or the Legendary fish?

In your survivalist 9 challenge list, what fish isn't ticked?

Don't confuse this with the Legendary fish as they're separate.

• Like 1

That's just it, they are ALL ticked but at the bottom it says 14 of 15 caught and so I can't  get the upgraded equipment. (It's the 10th challenge in the Survivalist quest.)  "Catch one of each type of fish throughout the world. " But when I go to see what fish I am missing it says that I have caught them all. I've even caught all of them TWICE! I wrote them down as I went around the world again. It has to be a glitch.

25 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

remember that it is not catch and release!

they are catch and release, i never kept 1 fish doing this survivalist challenge.

5 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Ok, let me ask this another way.  Is your problem with Survivalist 9, or the Legendary fish?

you mean 10 :)  9 is the 19 lb fish.

Legendary count but i didn't do them for this one, i had them all except the 3 in New Austin.  You can catch all 15 fish for Survivalist 10 around Flat Iron Lake, and in the swamps. Just change the bait and the time you fish to match the fish's preferences.

1 minute ago, Robo said:

That's just it, they are ALL ticked but at the bottom it says 14 of 15 caught and so I can't  get the upgraded equipment. (It's the 10th challenge in the Survivalist quest.)  "Catch one of each type of fish throughout the world. " But when I go to see what fish I am missing it says that I have caught them all. I've even caught all of them TWICE! I wrote them down as I went around the world again. It has to be a glitch.

clear your game cache,  might have to go back to a previous save and catch them all 3 times after that.

3 minutes ago, Robo said:

On my survivalist 10 it did not give me all the fish in the list I had to catch them one at a time in order. If you see all 15 names of fish then you are looking at a different list than I had, which means I cannot help you. I am very sorry if this is truly a glitch for you I ran into the same thing on the cigarette cards it says 14 out of 14 delivered but the check box for all cards delivered is not checked. 

That being said your problem is significantly worse because I'm able to complete hundred percent with the above problem and I don't think you will be able to. There is nothing that makes me angrier than when this happens in the game my heart goes out to you. 

7 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

On my survivalist 10 it did not give me all the fish in the list I had to catch them one at a time in order.  If you see all 15 names of fish then you are looking at a different list than I had

you don't have to catch them in order.  If you're on the survivalist 10 challenge and you catch one in the list you get a little popup window saying you caught ______ fish.  If you tap left on the D-pad, then RB/R1 to see your challenges you can see the survivalist 10 list of fish and which ones you have caught, it lists all 15 species there.

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

you don't have to catch them in order.  If you're on the survivalist 10 challenge and you catch one in the list you get a little popup window saying you caught ______ fish.  If you tap left on the D-pad, then RB/R1 to see your challenges you can see the survivalist 10 list of fish and which ones you have caught, it lists all 15 species there.

Not on mine it didn't selecting the survivalist 10 challenge only showed a single check box at any time during the entire challenge

Yes the box would  pop-up if I caught them out of order but unless I caught them in the order they recommended the check boxes would not progress... is 13 out of 15 from memory and then follow the boxes for channel cat and perch oh, a couple times I just did it in their order because I wanted the box to move!

Edited by Dewy1314

2 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

Not on mine it didn't selecting the survivalist 10 challenge only showed a single check box at any time during the entire challenge

Yes the box would  pop-up if I caught them out of order but unless I caught them in the order they recommended the check boxes would not progress... 

Weird, that's how i kept track of what fish(es) i needed to catch still.

I have a similar problem with the Legendary Gar the one in the Swamp.  I caught him and mailed it off but it never registered.  So I tried going back and trying again over several days and all I catch are Lake Sturgeons.  I've tried resetting my console.  I've waited several days.  I even fish there straight through for 2 whole game days nd no luck.  It seems like all is lost and this is a total waste of time.   Anybody have any ideas oter than starting all over from scratch?

13 hours ago, Papa Doug Roach said:

I have a similar problem with the Legendary Gar the one in the Swamp.  I caught him and mailed it off but it never registered.  So I tried going back and trying again over several days and all I catch are Lake Sturgeons.  I've tried resetting my console.  I've waited several days.  I even fish there straight through for 2 whole game days nd no luck.  It seems like all is lost and this is a total waste of time.   Anybody have any ideas oter than starting all over from scratch?

Forum search is an awesome tool!  check your progress in the compendium or in the fish list in your journal. if it's not checked off there you'll have to restore a save and do it again.