On a positive note, had the best day online finally

lumper

I just wanted to share my final thoughts of the online experience for others who are new and wanting to give it a try and maybe having a rough go of it.

Sorry  if it is a bit long, I wanted to cover a few different POSITIVE things rather than negative stuff as is usually the case.

I tried to break this down and make it easier to read quickly so it doesnt drone on and on.

Yesterday, I didnt know about the server issues, I joined early in the day around 7 am EST, and I played until around  5 am the next day, it was great.

What made it great?

There were no more than 2 players in the game at any given time except when I left finally after 23 hours or so

I was able to level up 7 or 8 levels, upgrade my horse, weapons, etc..

Found two treasure maps and treasure.

I think players who have been around a while, did all this as it became available and now are bored with those and while waiting for content end up experimenting and often it ends up with player killing and getting revenge, when it is friends killing eachother for fun, that is one thing, and probably great fun sometimes, but as far as strangers go, not so much.

There were enough players that you could take part in stranger missions on the other side of the map without interruptions.

I was able to finally try the stranger missions and those were really fun, one was with Sean and I thought that was great!!

But without players killing me arbitrarily while I am fishing or on my way to market, I was able to get a lot done, and experience a lot more of the online portion of the game.

Up until yesterday I hadnt had a chance to try any of these.

Previously I hadnt wandered far from camp as it always ended bad, even fishing in a corner by myself  just outside of Blackwater.

I nearly wrote the game off and never looked back, but this server issue really gave me a 23 hour window to roam and explore unmolested and it let me glimpse at all the game had to offer.

The two different  people that did approach and kill me while I was fishing, were still a reminder of what I hate about this game, people,  but they were so few and far between that it really wasnt enough to worry about.

The only other interruptions were from people who tried to stop me while doing a stranger mission like getting a cart, or delivering mail, etc.. and those are parts of the game, I even took an assassination job and hunted down a guy and after he got me 3 times I eventually killed him and closed the mission.

Anyway I had only fished and hunted until yesterday because every time I left my camp for any reason I was eventually gunned down without warning and 

I was getting frustrated and sick of it honestly.

After seeing so much more of the game  yesterday I got a better feel for what was intended and it really is fun, especially seeing characters from the single player missions woven into the story, I thought that was great.

If you dont like the way the game is right now and are trying to give it a shot, if you hang in there til you get a day like I did yesterday and hopefully leveling up a little will help make the game a little easier and more fun  for you..

I think people need to remember it is beta and they are working it out so not to expect so much so quickly and instead of playing it everyday and getting frustrated and bored and ending up killing everyone, go do something else and give the game a chance to grow a little, give others the same opportunities you had over the past 3 months.

Sure there is killing and robbing, thieving, stealing, etc..

But you should still be able to go exploring with your friends and family or to the local butcher or fishing, or a soothsayer/ fortune teller, go to the bar or a show, without the fear of death, even in Deadwood, or Virginia city, St Louis, etc..

Yesterday felt more like that, sure there are things to worry about and threats everywhere, but not just bored players chasing you down and murdering you for no apparent reason.

I really hope to see this trend continue one way or the other.

This felt like what I was hoping might eventually come, two different free roams,  one a free for all, where anything goes, and one where roaming players are protected, if they arent in a mission of some kind then they can not be shot or hunted, only within the framework of a mission of some kind, so if they chose to meet their buddy and show them around the map and show them some stuff, they wouldnt have to worry about being hunted every two minutes.

I noticed certain players even in stranger missions you can not target, meaning they cant be shot, well there ya go, this is what they can do for players in free roam, so that you take out of the equation random needless killing, you can kill npc's for your daily challenges and stuff and players who partake in missions too, just not free roaming players, if it were like this, the game would be great and I cant see how anyone could complain about not being able to kill innocent bystanders.

One thing I noticed both players who needlessly killed me claimed that I had previously killed them or been part of a team or posse that did, I had to correct them both as I had never joined a posse, started one or been any part of one, I never bothered anyone or shot another player and still have not except when instructed to by the game during a mission.

So I think the game can do more to tell you who killed you each time and save that data so a player can add you to a list and remember you when he see's you again in the world to let you know to either avoid him or her or to get revenge on them, either way it might help eliminate false claims like these about me.

Im not sure if they just made excuses, or if they really thought that and just didn't pay attention to who killed them, I think the latter.

There were times that up to 10 people were in the map as the day wore on, and when early morning rolled around again, sometime around 5 am,  I over took a hideout, Fort Riggs by myself, and I was collecting loot, when finally two other blue dots came to see me, luckily my base was only a few hundred feet from RIggs so was able to escape being shot down and made it to my camp and it was then I decided enough was enough, I had gotten an Arabian, a shotgun, upgraded most of my weapons at the smith, won a few fights while carrying out stranger jobs, and delivering mail, etc...

I am very thankful for this server shutdown today as it gave me a chance to gain a better foothold in the world of RDR2O and see what other things you can do besides just fear all the dots and live in the shadows.

Ultimately it is up to Rockstar to fix this thing so everyone can have a good time, and you can certainly have a good time playing without ever harassing players, so I dont know why it is taking them so long to patch it for this, but in the end if they do I think you will see a boom in population on these servers.

It took me a couple weeks to get a chance to experience the online properly and it has a ton of potential, I hope it continues to grow in a positive way, and that a simple solution is implemented to strop griefing all together.

Many disagree but forget we want the game to succeed, we want others to enjoy it too and experience the beautiful world within RDR2 and everyone needs to be able to enjoy it at their own pace and the way they want, no players should be forced to accept another players vision for the game, aggressive players can hunt and kill npc's til they are tired of it, those who play less aggressively can fish or hunt or explore until they are sick of it without fear of bored players hassling them.

I didnt plan to add anything to these boards but I did want to leave on a positive note for other new players who have reached out to me with their own concerns and frustrations and let them know, there is fun in there, just try to stick it out a bit longer before you give up and move on.

last thought, Sean said to me in a mission he sends us on, how they dont kill innocents, folks who arent "in the game" so to speak, and I think that nails the sentient of what I have been saying all along, outlaws ? yes, with a code? yep, arbitrarily kill innocent folks for fun, nope, not really.

Even the outlaws had a code and didnt just murder for fun, they had a reason, even if that reason was selfish and a little skewed, but they didnt want to be hunted everywhere they went just like in the SP game laying low, not causing too much commotion, etc.. instead of killing everyone they encounter they refrain from it to avoid being detected and caught unnecessarily.

So maybe some folks should re-think they motives and stop arguing that this is just "how it was" it wasnt, and it serves no purpose, remove that one part of the game, and all of a sudden you have something for everyone.

This is all just my opinion, based on my experience in this game.

everyone has their own views and rightly so, we arent necessarily right or wrong, just trying to find balance so that one size fits all can actually fit all.

Flame on, and have a great day.

If not for you guys and gals in here, this whole experience would suck a lot more than it sometimes does.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

I'll leave this thread here for now but if it turns out to be just another one of the same discussions on the topic of griefing (which quite frankly is at the root of your argument), I am going to merge it with the griefing thread as I have in the past. 

.....and I'm going to say this up front since there seems to have been a misunderstanding as to why I merged one of your threads before, I'm am not doing this to stifle your input, bury your posts, etc.  This is simply because we don't need multiple threads discussing essentially the same thing with the same people making the same arguments regarding this hotly debated topic. It's nothing personal and never has been.  I actually agree with some of your points.

Having said that, you may have missed it but there is some additional news today regarding upcoming improvements to the balance of the game that you may be very interested in including an expansion on anti-griefing measures and new features to help balance the gameplay.  Take note of the new Hostility system and Offensive / Defensive playstyle options:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have experienced great times with players I never played with before. Not everyone is a tool and they are just looking to have fun with the game. I feel like in order to really enjoy this game you have to be prepared for the chance of needing to defend yourself at an inconvenient time. That is kind of how the old west was. Your gun and your family/gang was your security but not a prevention so to speak. 

8 hours ago, nshanny73 said:

parley and be on your way

Exactly, why waste money on meaningless stuff. Never defend myself because there is no consequense of dying 👍

Edited by Zampen
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I'll leave this thread here for now but if it turns out to be just another one of the same discussions on the topic of griefing (which quite frankly is at the root of your argument), I am going to merge it with the griefing thread as I have in the past. 

.....and I'm going to say this up front since there seems to have been a misunderstanding as to why I merged one of your threads before, I'm am not doing this to stifle your input, bury your posts, etc.  This is simply because we don't need multiple threads discussing essentially the same thing with the same people making the same arguments regarding this hotly debated topic. It's nothing personal and never has been.  I actually agree with some of your points.

Having said that, you may have missed it but there is some additional news today regarding upcoming improvements to the balance of the game that you may be very interested in including an expansion on anti-griefing measures and new features to help balance the gameplay.  Take note of the new Hostility system and Offensive / Defensive playstyle options:

I completely understand your motivations on moving posts, I think that all of our passion for this game sometimes comes out wrong and I apologize for my frustration if it came out poorly or came across as negative.

My point with THIS post was not about griefing, or against it, I just wanted to show that without it, quite by accident,  the game was a 100% different experience for me as a result of servers being down and a lack of players as a result.

I really had no idea how most of these missions and activities worked until I was able to try them myself and experience them, it did raise the question why are so many others bored with this and engaging in those other activities when there is so much to do that will help you level up, earn money and gold and unlock other encounters, but that is a discussion for another day.

Until I had this opportunity to explore all the icons and try the various events that it would allow ( some you cant do without other players in the world) and this shed a new light on the game for me anyway, and it was very enjoyable.

Im very optimistic for the future of this game, in the two weeks I have been trying it, I have seen a lot of changes and learned a lot about the game play.

After trying what is essentially "capture the flag" I was happy to see that you can join game modes that allow you to shoot and kill and engage in gun fights and they are really fun and help you develop your fighting skills.

I suggest if you are having issues with the game in that your not sure what to do and are afraid to wander from your camp, use the quick join option from your menu and jump into one of these modes, the R* icon I think it is, this way you are in a lobby with others, part of a team with a clear objective and you will be playing a more linear style multiplayer first person / 3rd person shooter like a Call of Duty style game.

Rockstar put out an article in the "news" section about a new hostility system and I think that shows that they are working hard to do what they can on that front, so complaining about what has been going on in the past few weeks is kind of a mute point

I also learned about the dot colors and how they change and how that works and it makes sense and once I understood that a little better it made me feel like they are listening to us and looking for ways to bring balance, I think we need to be patient and let them do what they need to do during this beta.

I definitely do not want to revisit the complaining about players and their actions, rather point out that there really is a lot to do online, it is not just about hunting active players, but it is more about taking on missions and exploring the online stories that have been written for us.

Ive been a moderator on some large sites, and I know it is hard to balance repetition with passion and individuals feeling like they are not represented.

I think that other new players who only start playing online this week and next might end up here looking for posts to help them understand what is going on and knowing how these things evolve over time can be very helpful for new players given there is no real manual and unless you subscribe to the news releases you may not be aware of all the work and changes that have been happening and hopefully will continue to happen.

I think the new system ( hostility system) will do a lot to help things as you can defend yourself without incurring a red dot.

In the very beginning as a new player you have nothing but questions, but if you are lucky enough to get into a relatively empty server and explore things without anyone distracting you everything kind of answers itself and you can quickly jump in and have fun online.

I developed a strategy that has worked very well for me and my style of play and I am able to really enjoy the online experience and if I find unfortunate trouble, its not a big deal, just parlay re spawn and get back to it, I wont let it bother me as I understand it now and other than an inconvenience you dont lose anything other than pelts and carcasses you migth have on your horse.

Ignoring these little issues and playing the game allowed me to level up 7 levels in one session and upgrade my horse and weapons, getting my character closer to what I would consider ready for anything.

So if you are frustrated, a little lost, wondering what you can do to better the experience, some things that helped me were:

Use the quick join option and jump into a game mode, give it a try.

Look at where players are and what they are doing, you can actually engage with players that are playing some missions and it is part of the game for example, if someone decides to start a stranger mission from a post office, typicaly it is to deliver mail, but did you know that any player can actively try to steal that mail and deliver it themselves?, or if you take on a job to deliver a cart, any player in the game can chose to get involved and steal or destroy said cart and earn points also?

These are ways you can engage without starting the mission, you will see the dots labelled as either targets or other things in usually a bold red dot with an icon, that means if you are out fishing and hear some commotion an see this guy with a caravan or delivering mail, you can go get him and have a little fun but not offend anyone and just be part of the experience.

That type of gameplay was all new to me in multiplayer games and I think it is really great, it can be stressful if you are trying to deliver that mail, lol but that is the point I think.

Edited by lumper

Not sure if you read the entire article I linked to but it's way more than just the Hostility system.  There is also going to a passive mode of sorts where you will be able to choose Offensive or Defensive.  The Offensive status will work much the same as it does now in RDO while the Defensive option will provide even more balance to those who would prefer it.  

In Defensive mode, auto-aim will not work between human players.  You won't be able to lock on to other players and they will not be able to lock on to you.

You will also not be susceptible to critical hits (e.g. no one-shot headshots) but you will also not be able to deliver such damage on other players. 

Also, those who attack you will immediately be highlighted as enemies and you will be able to defend yourself via the Hostility system all while still remaining in Defense mode.  ....so if you choose to escape, they still will not be able to lock onto you with auto aim.

Griefers will still find ways to grief but I think these upcoming changes will really help especially those who are just starting out and may have found the balance quite lopsided and overwhelming.  ....in other words, less chances of being steam rolled.  I think a lot of your check boxes will get checked this Spring.  :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for being so thorough,

I actually did read everything I could find, then watched a few videos that broke it all down, its a lot to take in all at once, but yeah it all sounds great to me.

I wasnt clear on when this stuff would start.

Yesterday I had one incident, and it didnt reflect these changes, so I assumed they havent actually started this yet?

Anyway, I am really glad to hear  that they are working hard to figure this stuff out.

you said, 

"Also, those who attack you will immediately be highlighted as enemies and you will be able to defend yourself via the Hostility system all while still remaining in Defense mode.  ....so if you choose to escape, they still will not be able to lock onto you with auto aim."

I think that will be kind of fun, IF when a player shoots another player aggressively and gets their red dot, if ANY other defensive players in the map can now shoot this red dot aggressive player without consequence I think that would be great!!

Then the hunter becomes the hunted literally and has little escape from it.

It is nice to hear when people have good experiences. 

I've had a couple in the last few games I've been roaming. 

Had one Monday morning when I was doing a daily challenge of take so many full carcasses to the butcher. I was tracking a dear when I saw a blue dot coning up fast but then slowed when they heard me shoot. I simply turned and waved and they waved back. Off I went hunting next thing I killed 2 more deer and while picking one up I turned round to find the dot putting the other deer that had died a few feet away on my horse.  Once they saw me picking mine up they put it on there own horse. Once I got back to the butcher there they were waiting. Once I took mine off to take to the butcher. They took the other off there horse and stowed it on mine. 

I left the lobby and forgot to say thank you. But it does go to show there are good players on this game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1