Game Informer Interview paints a dark future

HuDawg

So this is the interview..  And its not looking to good for players like me waiting for things to get good.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/05/14/rockstar-outlines-the-future-of-red-dead-online

And the kick to the balls.    (And it hurts my brain even reading this)

The hope is these unique roles encourage players to intermingle in interesting ways, even those normally more inclined to keep to themselves. This overarching philosophy is why Rockstar is so apprehensive to introduce elements like a passive mode that walls off players from each other or free-aim servers that split the player base. "It would be easier for us to do that then what we're trying to do here, which is allow people to still feel like they are existing in the world that has an element of Wild Westiness to it and not completely make it two experiences," Nelson says. "If we can't get the balancing right then we can always do that, but what we're trying to do is allow people to, however they want to play the game

So basically...     NO Free Aim sessions.    Because that would be too 'easy' for them to add.     WHaaaaat?

Ya.. No sh*t.. I want to be "WALLED OFF" from auto aim.  That's the point..  Walled off in every way possible from pvp to pve.  

Build the damn wall!  The fact that players now are stuck in purgatory until everyone stops playing before they even think about adding private lobbies or free aim lobbies is a joke.

Who the hell is this guy being interviewed?  And why was the person interviewing not pressing him him on such a stupid reply to such a common sense problem.  That even in his own words.. would be easy to solve.

I need to go bang my head off the wall now.. 

• Confused 1

Well, he did say if this doesnt work, they can do that, but for now they dont want to split the player base.

So maybe in the future?

I think when the game comes out on pc you will then possibly have private servers, and mods like free aim only servers, etc.. but in time.

Maybe not, but I think once it goes to pc things like player made mods and changes will pop up.

I think this particular update was so long coming that for now, they just wanted to add the fixes, get the foundation done and in game, and then give it some time and see how it goes before making further changes.

They had so many player issues and player requested changes to address they had to stop somewhere for this first real update.

The game is still very new, so I think maybe give it time, continue to write in to R* to let them know what you want, if enough people continue to ask for it maybe it will happen.

RDO simply didn't become the free-for-all PvP experience some wanted.  No offense, but as suggested, this "dark future" is really a matter of perspective.  For me, I see it in an entirely opposite light. 

I am sorry RDO didn't develop the way the OP wanted it (separate lobbies, free aim ,etc.).  However, since this has always been a "one mode" option since launch and especially now that it's apparently confirmed that it will stay that way, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't relieved (and satisfied) with the direction R* has taken the game thus far.   

Some kept painting a picture that RDO was, would be or should be a "free for all" kind of game just like GTAO.  Well, if the truth wasn't apparent before, it should be now. 

Personally, I'm loving the changes so far and I see a bright future for RDO if they can keep up with content like this.  Definitely interested in some off the plans they outlined for this Summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harlock1796 said:

I think you need to accept sooner or later that this isn't the game you want it to be.

This game is obviously for me.  Its not my fault the idiots in charge are trying to shove free aim players and auto aim players into one lobby.

2 hours ago, lumper said:

Well, he did say if this doesnt work, they can do that, but for now they dont want to split the player base.

So maybe in the future?

I think when the game comes out on pc you will then possibly have private servers, and mods like free aim only servers, etc.. but in time.

I guess PC will do this game wonders.  Problem is using a mouse takes the fun out of free aim and makes shooting toooo accurate.  Theres sort of a balance to using a controller when manually aiming.  

Im really not sure why they won't split the player base.. based on aim settings.  This is something R* has been doing for over 10 years in their open world games.  Including the last Red Dead.  Now.. they all of a sudden want to re-invent the wheel.

Sure.. maybe in the future they might add it.  But, why wait?    As long as auto aim exists..  and NO private lobbies.   That's a big chunk of its player base stuck in limbo.

Hell.. they added private lobbies for poker.  

1 hour ago, HuDawg said:

This game is obviously for me.  Its not my fault the idiots in charge are trying to shove free aim players and auto aim players into one lobby.

I guess PC will do this game wonders.  Problem is using a mouse takes the fun out of free aim and makes shooting toooo accurate.  Theres sort of a balance to using a controller when manually aiming.  

Im really not sure why they won't split the player base.. based on aim settings.  This is something R* has been doing for over 10 years in their open world games.  Including the last Red Dead.  Now.. they all of a sudden want to re-invent the wheel.

Sure.. maybe in the future they might add it.  But, why wait?    As long as auto aim exists..  and NO private lobbies.   That's a big chunk of its player base stuck in limbo.

Hell.. they added private lobbies for poker.  

You can use a controller with your pc if you prefer its very simple these days

Edited by lumper

12 minutes ago, lumper said:

You can use a controller with your pc if you prefer its very simple these days

Thats not the Point.

Point and Klick with a mouse is clearly faster then manovering the controler stick so the PC gamer has an advantage. 

Not so much in a game with a huge auto aim help like RDR but surly in others like Warthunder for example with no Auto aim at all.

I think if it comes on PC, they will need, as surly defined with Sony and X-Box, to not allow Cross Play and then its not important but with cross Play this would be a different matter.

You also can buy alreaddy today a switch for the PS that allows to add mouse and Keyboard to the controler.

Not expensive but cant say if its supported by the game as never tried so far.

Edited by CPUTestUnit

1 hour ago, HuDawg said:

When you fundamentally disagree with the people' who designed, sold and have 100% control over the current and future development of the game, in relation to a crucial feature of the gameplay, it isn't so obvious that the game is for you.

Since the majority of players will play aggressive or offensive, this really doesnt change anything for those players who like to mix it up and get into player killing, you still can, you just cant do it to unwilling layers as easily and without consequences.

The passive system doesnt affect players who play aggressively and like to shoot at others, they still can do that, so I dont understand the issue.

The funny part is most of the players I meet with this position use GTA as an example, but I say, ok well there already are several GTA games that allow exactly what you want to do, so why not go play those, and when you play RDR2O to enjoy it for what it is, not what you want it to be, or what the companies other games are often like?
Im glad it isnt the same formula, this is refreshing, they cant all be the same, and since there are enough free roam games with tons of player killing going unchecked, I am glad this is different, this world has so much to explore and enjoy, you just dont need to have it be a constant fire fight all the time

Edited by lumper

22 minutes ago, Harlock1796 said:

When you fundamentally disagree with the people' who designed, sold and have 100% control over the current and future development of the game, in relation to a crucial feature of the gameplay, it isn't so obvious that the game is for you.

Its not my fault the idiot in charge of ONLINE..  Turned his back on 10 years of R* having Private and Free Aim lobbies.. 

Even the article states.. If it doesn't work, they will add it.

Well.  IT DOES NOT WORK.   So lets cut the bullsh*t and add it.

13 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Its not my fault the idiot in charge of ONLINE..  Turned his back on 10 years of R* having Private and Free Aim lobbies.. 

Even the article states.. If it doesn't work, they will add it.

Well.  IT DOES NOT WORK.   So lets cut the bullsh*t and add it.

In what way doesnt it work?

Oh my bad I just re read your post, you mean free aim lobbies?

Yeah I get that, that part does kind of suck, but maybe in the near future we will get that?

I think just like private servers, it kind of defeats  the whole point for them, as they want everyone in there together, as it is it is split by console and pc, I wish they had a way to integrate us all together for cross platform play honestly, but whatever, yeah I see it both ways, it sure would be nice to have private servers for more control over how it is handled, but then I see their point, they want that microtransaction market too,

It works great

you can still do exactly what you had been doing before with no difference.

The only difference is people who wanted to be left alone, can now opt to be left alone, But the majority of players play offensively or aggressively anyway so in what way is it broke?

All that has changed for a player who likes to kill other players is now the people who dont want to be involved with a fight, they just want to get in to the butcher and back out, can but they are the minority according to the update and players here.

Edited by lumper

14 minutes ago, lumper said:

The funny part is most of the players I meet with this position use GTA as an example, but I say, ok well there already are several GTA games that allow exactly what you want to do, so why not go play those, and when you play RDR2O to enjoy it for what it is, not what you want it to be, or what the companies other games are often like?

Because auto aim RUINS the shooting.

And since the bulk of the online revolves around shooting.... Well, what can I say?

This game needs proper free aim lobbies and hosted lobbies.   Just like the last red dead.

Sure I could use free aim.. But now im stuck with players using auto aim.  Sucking the fun out co-op.. and pvp.  Im forced to use auto aim.  

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 1

Personally, I could care less about free-aim. I won’t use it even if it was an option. I care about playing the game, not about perfecting my thumb flicking skills. I wouldn’t play a monopoly game that requires me to hop from sidewalk square to sidewalk square to move my thimble either. Or play a D&D game that required me to sword fight with a wii controller to win a combat encounter. My character can shoot as well as he shoots and minimal input from me tells him where I want him to shoot. Besides, flicking sticks or wiggling mouses is so far from actual shooting I could never get into it.

So far, I’m happy where the game is right now. We have options to be however you want to be with an actual attempt at balance with restrictions and consequences.... I want to be defensive? Well, no auto aiming people when they’re guard is down and sever penalties to my bounty and aggressive player status if I try for the cheap shot. But I can also avoid the one shot instakill cheap shot while I’m fishing or skinning an animal.

want to be offensive? Well, fine, free for all anyone you want. Someone else doesn’t like it; well, your bounty and hostility go way up. Want to hunt down and hunt aggressive layers? Well, go nuts. Want to shoot a defensive player who just wants to fish? Well, you can, but they’re harder to hit, harder to kill, and you’ll pay in bounty and hostility level.

this is the balance many we’re asking for. Not many were asking to be completely immune from others. They just wanted consequences for people that randomly murder others for no reason and the ability to fight back if they choose without getting into trouble.

Im also looking forward to these ‘paths’. It sounds like an interesting dynamic that will allow one to immerse themselves into a character and the world rather than just hunting for profit or killing out of boredom. I definitely think this update is a good thing and the start of the RDR I want to play.

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

So far, I’m happy where the game is right now. We have options to be however you want to be with an actual attempt at balance with restrictions and consequences.... I want to be defensive? Well, no auto aiming people when they’re guard is down and sever penalties to my bounty and aggressive player status if I try for the cheap shot. But I can also avoid the one shot instakill cheap shot while I’m fishing or skinning an animal.

want to be offensive? Well, fine, free for all anyone you want. Someone else doesn’t like it; well, your bounty and hostility go way up. Want to hunt down and hunt aggressive layers? Well, go nuts. Want to shoot a defensive player who just wants to fish? Well, you can, but they’re harder to hit, harder to kill, and you’ll pay in bounty and hostility level.

What do you do when a posse of defensive players decide to get in your face and annoy you? .. Blow up fishes, blast the animals you're hunting or steal your animal kills.  Or ride into a gang hide out, jump infront of your bullets and raid the corpse you killed?

Besides the penalty system is kind of bullsh*t.   

Game now.. more then ever, needs a proper Hardcore mode.  No auto aim, no ability cards, no defensive/offensive mode, and no kill tax penalty.

Just pure 100% red dead.  

What would I do? Personally I’d just shoot them and deal with the consequences... besides, I don’t see a situation where people are going to be able to dive into my bullets and make me an enemy so they can kill me... I can’t accidentally autolock onto anyone and I’m not dumb enough enough to shoot at an animal with someone in the way...

as for the defensive posse that came after you... i am suspecting more and more with each of your posts that you have a red ‘agressive’ icon making you fair game for anyone who feels like killing you.

as to the penalty system being Bull... well, just consider it a tax on a**holes... I have no issues with it now that I’m not getting bounties for fighting people that pick fonts with me.

Edited by The_Liquor

39 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

as for the defensive posse that came after you... i am suspecting more and more with each of your posts that you have a red ‘agressive’ icon making you fair game for anyone who feels like killing you.

I never said a posse came after me.  Just wondering how you would handle that,  A troll trolling with defensive mode and if you shoot em, you get 'punished'/

Anyways..The 'aggressive' icon means what exactly?   It takes nothing into context and just handicaps players.

I could mow down a posse that targeted me.. In seconds. (thanks to auto aim and ability cards) and get a red aggressive icon fairly quickly..

Edited by HuDawg

57 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

What do you do when a posse of defensive players decide to get in your face and annoy you? .. Blow up fishes, blast the animals you're hunting or steal your animal kills.  Or ride into a gang hide out, jump infront of your bullets and raid the corpse you killed?

Besides the penalty system is kind of bullsh*t.   

Game now.. more then ever, needs a proper Hardcore mode.  No auto aim, no ability cards, no defensive/offensive mode, and no kill tax penalty.

Just pure 100% red dead.  

Wow, well in 92 levels it has never ever happened and I cant imagine it ever will, it sounds pretty extreme, see usually, a posse has a plan, they are in a group, having fun, whatever they are doing, but ive yet to hear of or see a posse that sets out to simply grief people or use the defensive play style to antagonize others.

I just dont think ti woudl happen.

People like that generally run solo, a group has an agenda, hunting, running missions for xp, playing stranger missions together to make it hard for another posse to stop them, etc.. but what you described, I just dont see it, AND if it did, then ok, what would I do, well first, I would asses to see if I can fight back without consequences, if not Ill measure what they did to how important it is too me, I might fight back, or I might just walk away, since without a fight they have nothing to do and will get bored, or I might change sessions, all the same things I would do before the update I guess.

But there isnt much of a reason for anyone to do those things, so again, I dont think this is going to happen with such frequency that anyone will make it a thing. IMO

I dont know, I like it as it is, and I am hopeful they will continue to make changes as time goes by, this is the very first update and it hasnt even been 24 hours lol so lets give it a shot and see how it plays out over a month.

All I know is today has been the most enjoyable experience I have ever had in the game since launch, it was very simple, I just wanted to grind for dual mausers, and dual Lamats, plus mods so around $3000.00 in cash, now to do that usually would be a long haul, iwth tons of stress, today and last night it was great, I never had to check my mini map, I just went where the animals were, hunted til I was bored, and then shut it down, only to get up today and do it again, the freedom I now has is amazing

I dont think people realize how much they negatively affected some players experiences with their actions, for me it was very stressful I had to pick certain routes, avoid certain areas, always be on my guard, if someone showed up where I was I had to go on the defensive and try to stay alert til they left or I could get away, etc.. I wasted a lot of energy and time on this nonsense, now, I can just go hunting, the way it should be, when you go hunting the last thing you worry about are bandits showing up to kill you.

Other times I want to mix it up, so Ill go offensive play and just go explore and take what comes, other times  I want to be left alone while I grind, especially if I just want to join showdown and need to prepare for it with tonics and animal fat.

Edited by lumper

3 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

I never said a posse came after me.  Just wondering how you would handle that,  A troll trolling with defensive mode and if you shoot em, you get 'punished'/

Anyways..The 'aggressive' icon means what exactly?   It takes nothing into context and just handicaps players.

I could mow down a posse that targeted me.. In seconds. (thanks to auto aim and ability cards) and get a red aggressive icon fairly quickly..

My bad. After the post, I kind of had the thought in the back of my head that you were someone else posting in a different thread. My apologies.

As for the aggressive status, if the other posse was the instigators, they become enemies. Therefore you can mow them down without consequences. It’s when you instigate a fight that you get the red blip and bounties. Once you have a red blip, others can then attack you without penalty. Seems fair to me unless you like just roaming around and killing people for no reason and free of consequences. 

All that being said, I haven’t fully tested out this new system, there may very well be bugs, that I’m sure will be taken care of if you report them when you see them. Also, I’m not sure how the enemy status works with he posse... I could see people making trouble by one member instigating while the rest bait you into killing non enemies if the whole posse doesn’t get flaged

2 minutes ago, lumper said:

Wow, well in 92 levels it has never ever happened and I cant imagine it ever will, it sounds pretty extreme, see usually, a posse has a plan, they are in a group, having fun, whatever they are doing, but ive yet to hear of or see a posse that sets out to simply grief people or use the defensive play style to antagonize others.

I just dont think ti woudl happen.

Well they did just add the defensive/offensive feature.  So give a few days/weeks till the trolls find out how to best use defensive mode to annoys others with.

After a few years of GTA O passive mode abuse, nothing shocks me...   I don't consider what I posted about the trolls, extreme.  They are just part of the R* eco system.

5 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

My bad. After the post, I kind of had the thought in the back of my head that you were someone else posting in a different thread. My apologies.

As for the aggressive status, if the other posse was the instigators, they become enemies. Therefore you can mow them down without consequences. It’s when you instigate a fight that you get the red blip and bounties. Once you have a red blip, others can then attack you without penalty. Seems fair to me unless you like just roaming around and killing people for no reason and free of consequences. 

All that being said, I haven’t fully tested out this new system, there may very well be bugs, that I’m sure will be taken care of if you report them when you see them. Also, I’m not sure how the enemy status works with he posse... I could see people making trouble by one member instigating while the rest bait you into killing non enemies if the whole posse doesn’t get flaged

..As an old skool R* player.  I can be easily instigated into a fight...lol

A bunch of defensive mode players all stomping on my freshly killed perfect bear.   Calling me a yella belly.   How the hell am I supposed to handle that, when my 1st gut instinct is to blast em.   

And on top of that I get punished if I attack them, and they take less damage due to defensive mode.

Holy sh*t.. They turned Red Dead into Canada.

4 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

..As an old skool R* player.  I can be easily instigated into a fight...lol

A bunch of defensive mode players all stomping on my freshly killed perfect bear.   Calling me a yella belly.   How the hell am I supposed to handle that, when my 1st gut instinct is to blast em.   

And on top of that I get punished if I attack them, and they take less damage due to defensive mode.

Holy sh*t.. They turned Red Dead into Canada.

Like I said...  just kill them and deal with the consequences.... they’re not that extreme (the consequences). But the likelyhood of a posse acting like this, when you can’t even find other players until you’re right on top of them, is actually pretty low. It’s not like GTA where you can look at the map and decide who you’re going to go mess with when you log on.

Edited by The_Liquor
The Liquor screwed up
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

Like I said...  just kill them and deal with the consequences.... they’re not that extreme (the consequences). But the likelyhood of a posse acting like this, when you can’t even find other players until you’re right on top of them, is actually pretty low. It’s not like GTA where you can look at the map and decide who you’re going to go mess with when you log on.

Despite the lack of easier to find blip. I can easily find players.    Either by horse trials, gun shot sounds and just roaming the trails.  And the game sort of puts you in games near players. 

And the likely hood imo is that there will be plenty of complains coming.. Just give it a few days, let the trolls get their bearing on straight.  They need to learn how to abuse it.

I mean, if was a punk ass bitch. I could find other like minded punk ass bitches to be friends with.. And Stroll the country side looking for players to pester while using defensive mode as a shield.  if anyone shoot 1st, we hold the advantage.  

I just don’t see it. Maybe it’ll happen, but I think it’s unlikely and the odd case that pops up will be an isolated incident. Besides, being annoying isn’t really a capital punishment type of crime. If you can’t stand someone doing the prospector jig or flipping you off or something while you are fishing, to the point you pull out a gun and murder him, you kind of deserve the negative consequences.

as for trampling on my kills, well, fine. But I hunt for volume over quality anyway. And if I really needed that perfect kill badly enough, again, I’d just kill them and be red for a while and shell out my 15 cents when I get back to the post office. Besides, I’m skinning those kills while they’re riding around like lunatics, they’ll probably accidentally hit me and become enemies anyway. this system isn’t there to eliminate all idiotic behaviour, it’s there as a deterrent and effort at balancing things. It’s not likely ever going to be 100% fool proof. If you’re going to troll someone or be so annoyed at the mear presence of someone goofing off in your general area that you need to resort to lethal force, you kind of deserve what’s coming either way.

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

I just don’t see it. Maybe it’ll happen, but I think it’s unlikely and the odd case that pops up will be an isolated incident. Besides, being annoying isn’t really a capital punishment type of crime. If you can’t stand someone doing the prospector jig or flipping you off or something while you are fishing, to the point you pull out a gun and murder him, you kind of deserve the negative consequences.

Have you played GTA O?

Everything R* added to curb so called griefing ends up being just another tool in their belt.

Same thing is already happening here.  Infact I would have preferred passive mode be added instead of defensive/offensive mode

15 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

this system isn’t there to eliminate all idiotic behaviour, it’s there as a deterrent and effort at balancing things. It’s not likely ever going to be 100% fool proof. If you’re going to troll someone or be so annoyed at the mear presence of someone goofing off in your general area that you need to resort to lethal force, you kind of deserve what’s coming either way.

Its not deterring or balancing anything tho..  Its giving people an advantage over others.

Too bad you're on PS4.  If you where on xbox, I could show you just how annoying one person can be in defensive mode.  Its not as simple as you think to deal with.  Its like turning on two special abilities. 

Im also not talking about silly goof balls messing around.  im talking about pure, 100% little bitches how are purposely getting in your way and shitting on you.

7 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

as for trampling on my kills, well, fine. But I hunt for volume over quality anyway. And if I really needed that perfect kill badly enough, again, I’d just kill them and be red for a while and shell out my 15 cents when I get back to the post office. Besides, I’m skinning those kills while they’re riding around like lunatics, they’ll probably accidentally hit me and become enemies anyway. this system isn’t there to eliminate all idiotic behaviour, it’s there as a deterrent and effort at balancing things. It’s not likely ever going to be 100% fool proof. If you’re going to troll someone or be so annoyed at the meet presence of someone goofing off in your general area that you need to resort to lethal force, you kind of deserve what’s coming either way.

....couldn't agree more.  I don't believe the apocalyptic scenario being painted here nor did I when we had similar conversations when the blip / proximity feature was first introduced.    ....and that never came to pass either. 

• Like 1

I still just don’t see it. Honestly, since the red blip update I’ve had very few run ins with people out to ruin my hunts or fishing trips in the middle of nowhere. They don’t know where I am unless they’re really trying to find me. I see this new system as being an improvement on that update, giving people even more incentive not to be a di*k as well as extra protection (but definitely not immunity) from those out to cause trouble.

sure, there are going to be those that find exploits and abuse the system. I stand by my belief that this will be the exception to the rule though. I think this is the right direction to be moving to incorporate all styles of play into one lobby.

6 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

....couldn't agree more.  I don't believe the apocalyptic scenario being painted here nor did I when we had similar conversations when the blip / proximity feature was first introduced.    ....and that never came to pass either. 

Not saying its 'apocalyptic'.

Im saying if something can be abused.. Damn well it will be abused.  How many times you run into it may completely differ from others.  

4 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

I still just don’t see it. Honestly, since the red blip update I’ve had very few run ins with people out to ruin my hunts or fishing trips in the middle of nowhere.

Because everyones too busy playing the new content..     Give it a few days or so.

The red dot update has been out for quite some time now and without new content. But whatever. I guess we just have differing experiences and want different things out of the game. Personally, I’m not often bothered by others. Less so since the first proximity/red blip update. The exception being when you need to head back into town And the city campers try and take you out. This new update can only cut down on that, not make it worse in any way I can see (sure, they can kill you and you in turn have free reign to get your revenge kills in, or they can try and annoy you into killing them first, but they can’t make you kill them).