Killer turned blue

Steven Kreg

ok. so. hanging in a peaceful st. denis and jerk shots me and my gf. 

he turns the enemy red, we kill him lots and he gets us a few times.

then he spawns pretty far away and when we are going after him (hell! why not, no bounty to do so!! awesome)... he goes blue like he never did anything wrong.

anyone know if that is a messed up mechanic? or do they give these people a bit of a break? or?

thoughts?

When did  this occur?  Today, after the update?  If so, were you in Offensive or Defensive mode?

From the patch notes, this is how the new systems are supposed to work.  If you find that they are not, I might suggest opneing a trouble ticket with R* Support (https://support.rockstargames.com/categories/115001624507?redirect_lang=en_us&_ga=2.148393591.1187535949.1557870321-1719606522.1525287356)

• Added the ‘Hostility’ system to Red Dead Online that builds upon the changes to player Radar blips from the previous Title Update:
    • Depending on their actions, players will now be labelled with one of three Hostility levels - Low (dark blue Radar blip), Medium (pink) or High (dark red). Your current Hostility level can be seen in the Online Options section of the Player menu.
    • Players with higher Hostility levels will still receive the same punishments as the previous update, causing them to appear at longer distances on the Radar/Map and respawning further away when dying
    • A player’s Hostility level will not be affected when killing players through PvP gameplay such as Showdown Modes or when instructed to via Free Roam Events with PvP elements
    • Players can attack other players with a High Hostility level without any negative changes towards their own Hostility level
    • A player’s Hostility level will slowly reduce over time when not performing any hostile actions towards other players

• Players now have the ability to ‘Press Charges’ from the death screen after being killed by another player in a Red Dead Online session:
    • If a player decides to press charges, the attacker will gain Bounty and their Hostility level will increase for performing that crime (this increase was the default behavior before this update)
    • If a player does not press charges, the attacker will not gain any Bounty or Hostility level for performing that crime

• A new ‘Playing style’ option has been added to the Online Options section of the Player menu in Red Dead Online:
    • ‘Offensive’ playing style is the default existing behavior in Free Roam, allowing standard PvP combat in all Free Roam activities with no additional protections
    • ‘Defensive’ playing style gives players the ability to signal that they want to ‘opt out’ of PvP-based activities and aggressive interactions with other players in the session. Players with a Defensive playstyle selected:
    • Will be displayed to others with a faded Radar blip and a ‘shield’ icon above their head
    • Cannot lock-on to other players, and cannot be locked onto
    • Do not receive critical damage when shot, and take less damage in general
    • Cannot be lassoed, tackled or executed
    • Are unable to interact with some Free Roam Missions occurring in the session
    • Will be offered fewer Free Roam Missions with a PvP component from Mission givers

• Players with an Offensive playing style will increase their Hostility level significantly when attacking or griefing players with a Defensive playing style set

• Players with a Defensive playstyle will have their Hostility increased if they choose to perform any aggressive behavior towards a player that does not have a High Hostility level and be switched out of the Defensive playing style

• Players with a High Hostility level will not be able to enter the Defensive playing style and must wait until their Hostility level is lowered over time

yea. after the update. i'm in offensive.

everything was fine and he was enemy red for a lot of the fight but when he got spawned kind of far away and we didnt quite get to him fast, he went blue. i was hoping he'd be red at least and have to stay that way for a while. and yea, i even pressed charges before fighting him.

maybe because the new hostility penalty is so severe they kind of give you a little break so it doesnt happen as easy? 

hummmm.

Yeah, that is interesting.  Still kind early though.  May be we need to wait a few days to see how exactly these new changes work in practice.  

Too bad there isn't a clearly defined measurement in time, instances, etc. in the description of these mechanics.  Seems we have to learn a lot of this stuff through experience.

Thats interesting, are you 100% sure he went blue? Did you look him up in the player list to make sure he was still on the server ?

If he went blue and you werent pretty close you wouldnt see him on the mini map or regular map, you would only be able to see his name in the player list. 

I know in the past people have gotten confused when someone jumps out of the session near another player while being chased or in a fight and then the other people assume the blip they see is the one they were just chasing when in fact it is a different player, I know of at least three times this happened where I saw it happen.

I think you might be mistaking the bright red of ‘enemy’ with the somewhat different red of ‘hostile Player’. If there wasn’t enough carnage for him to be labeled ‘hostile’ his icon would still be blue under the ‘enemy’ red. The enemy status would wear off after a period, this is likely what happened with you, and your opponent ‘went blue’ because he didn’t have enough violence committed  to become ‘hostile’... I’m just guessing here.

yea. but.

got into fights again tonight with aggressors. again, going blue all the time right in the middle of a fight, from enemy weird red to blue.

annoying.

also, how long does it damn take these days for a player to be considered hostile?  just look at your player server list... all blue.

Well, I’m not sure on the timing. As for everyone being blue, we all got reset with the update. I’m not sure exactly how much killing you need to do to turn red, and I have no desire to personally test it.  But they do say you won’t get hostile for shooting people marked as enemies or who are marked as hostile. My guess would be their initial killing marked him as an enemy for you, when you killed him back you became an enemy to him. Now you’re basically killing each other consequence free until the enemy marker times out... 

I agree with @The_Liquor that there may be some confusion here with red enemies who are engaged with you and if they are actually red because of their hostility status.  Sounds more like the former the way it's being described here.  A player who is red due to hostility should not be changing like that under those circumstances.

We did a test of the defensive / offensive thing. I got shot and the other player turned red. A few minutes later they turned blue again. 

This is due to a cool down period for hostility. Not sure how long it actually was but not long. So, what if the hostility was higher? Would it take longer? I guess more playing with that will tell.

5 minutes ago, DNMNetTech said:

We did a test of the defensive / offensive thing. I got shot and the other player turned red. A few minutes later they turned blue again. 

This is due to a cool down period for hostility. Not sure how long it actually was but not long. So, what if the hostility was higher? Would it take longer? I guess more playing with that will tell.

That’s the cool down period for ‘enemy’ your seeing I think. Different types of red. Enemy red is much brighter than hostile player red.

1 hour ago, The_Liquor said:

That’s the cool down period for ‘enemy’ your seeing I think. Different types of red. Enemy red is much brighter than hostile player red.

yes. but still a hostile enemy shouldnt turn blue in the middle of a gunfight.

and B. damn, how much hostile actions is it gonna take till these people start showing red. maybe a lot because of the more sever consequences.

guess we'll see.

Yeah maybe. But maybe they’ll stay red longer too. Who knows... too new to tell.

well, I think I can share some observations now. Today, while doing a prospector jig in the middle of the road in black water, some guy ran me down for no reason and became an enemy. I killed him shortly after when his friend decided to take me out...  should have had a stop watch. I followed them out of town for a short while (5 min or so) trading shots with them. At one point, the one guy winked out, then his buddy about 30 seconds later.

that leads me to believe the ‘enemy’ status is on a fixed timer that runs maybe 10 minutes or so from the time the enemy status gets activated. It doesn’t seem to get extended based on th last aggressive act. That would seem to explain people ‘going blue’ mid gunfight.

Edited by The_Liquor
The Liquor figures it out