The cross-platform question

MadMatt

I know there isn't enough information out as of yet, but what do you all think the chances of them adding in cross-platform play for RDR2 online? 

I didn't see anyone talking about it here yet, thought I would start a thread for it. I think having this be an option could further the general life of the game. On the other hand, it may end up costing them sales. Some people only play on PC so their console buddies might buy the PC version just to play with em'. 

What do you guys think?

22 hours ago, bluntTR4P said:

Maybe this will be a thing for next gen games but I can't see them doing it now, not for RDR2. It doesn't make any sense for them to have this be a feature right now. 

I guess not. I mean money wise alone it wouldn't make sense. I just enjoy games that have this feature since I play with both PC and console gamers. When does next gen drop? 2020 for both PS and Xbox?

This isn't something big dev companies tend to want because of the cost, if I am not mistaken. It is more costly to run one game on all systems without running into issues. Most games I have played that can be played on the same servers from console or PC tend to have frequent updates because something on one breaks and they are forced to update all games. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 8:15 PM, MadMatt said:

I guess not. I mean money wise alone it wouldn't make sense. I just enjoy games that have this feature since I play with both PC and console gamers. When does next gen drop? 2020 for both PS and Xbox?

Supposedly yeah, but we will see. Not much news has been released on Microsoft's end, Sony just let us know the bare essentials, nothing more.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:34 PM, bluntTR4P said:

Supposedly yeah, but we will see. Not much news has been released on Microsoft's end, Sony just let us know the bare essentials, nothing more.

They will probably start unloading information early next year then, prior to the E3 convention I am sure, get us all hot and bothered over the new consoles. 

10 minutes ago, KVNknowsbest said:

What do companies gain from doing this? I know it is great for friends and family who play on different consoles but I don't think that actual developers get anything from this, in which case, why would someone like Rockstar bother?

It combines their player base and increases the population of players in sessions.  That can be useful in several ways to both the community and the game company by bolstering the player base on platforms that may be a little thin.   It can also be a selling point for gamers who have friends on different platforms and so on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 10:32 PM, Kean_1 said:

It combines their player base and increases the population of players in sessions.  That can be useful in several ways to both the community and the game company by bolstering the player base on platforms that may be a little thin.   It can also be a selling point for gamers who have friends on different platforms and so on.

I guess this is a fair point. A lot of online games can be spread thin when they aren't cross-platform. From a money standpoint though, it seems better for Rockstar not to do this since they have a chance at getting people to buy the game twice.