What are your specs?

lumper

Im just curious, for those of you that have a gaming rig pc and play pc games, and plan to play rdr2 on pc, what are you running?

Motherboard chipset/ cpu, gpu, memory type and amount

Have you bench marked it lately as it is now?

Do you use 3dmark for graphics benchmarks?

Are you building or upgrading for rdr2 or do you plan to play it on your existing machine?

Id really enjoy the pc version but I dont have a gaming rig anymore and I cant afford to buy or build one so for me I can only watch from a far for now, my plan is possibly in the future I will build another one, but it definitely wont be for a year or two minimum.

I can see an I7 or I9 as a foundation running this game, or the amd equivalent most likely with dual pci e cards and high performance memory gddr3 Im guessing, but I havent done a build in a long time and I am definitely out of the loop on current motherboards and motherboard chipsets, I used to be very proficient with this stuff but pc parts evolve every 3 months and after a few years off it is a whole new world compared to my last build.

I am definitely excited for those of you with decent machines that will run the game at max settings, including hdr and special lighting and especially for those that are able to optimize and upgrade their boxes to get 60 - 99 fps at those settings, it is going to be amazing!!!

I know from many years experience that to build from scratch a serious gamer I can easily spend $2500 to $3500 without monitor keys or mouse, just the box and some software, those with these machines are going to share an experience that most of us will never see, and I can only imagine how amazing it will be to play it like that.

Edited by lumper

Upgraded very recently. Been saving up for a custom build that will last me awhile. 

CPU: i5-9600k

Mobo: MSI Z390-A Pro

RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V 16GB

GPU: MSI Ventus X GTX 1660 Ti

Case: NZXT H500i

Storage: Intel 660p SSD 1TB

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB

14 hours ago, SaulGoodMan said:

Upgraded very recently. Been saving up for a custom build that will last me awhile. 

CPU: i5-9600k

Mobo: MSI Z390-A Pro

RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V 16GB

GPU: MSI Ventus X GTX 1660 Ti

Case: NZXT H500i

Storage: Intel 660p SSD 1TB

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB

Are you going to buy the game on pc?

Id love to see how it runs for you when you do.

I think it would be helpful for others thinking about it to hear from a few people who have bought it and see how it runs on their boxes so others can get a realistic idea of what would be required to run the game at the 4k/60 fps they want you to see it at.

You could do a service for many who are thinking about it but not sure how their systems would perform.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, SageNinja said:

Currently: CPU - Ryzen 5 1600, GPU - Radeon RX 570, 8 GB of ram, 128 GB SSD. I likely won't be able to run the game on max but it should be enough the highlight the beautiful graphics without the worry of my PC crying about it. 

That sounds good to me, If you do get the game, it would be helpful if you posted some screen shots, and examples of the game running, like max out the settings, then ride into Valentine or St Denis and make a short video, see if you can keep 60 fps in a populated area at max settings.

It will take a little while to figure out what the cut off is for systems to be able to run the game at max 4k settings, with the shading and lighting effects on and maintain the 60 fps but that information would be very useful to the community.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 8:15 AM, lumper said:

That sounds good to me, If you do get the game, it would be helpful if you posted some screen shots, and examples of the game running, like max out the settings, then ride into Valentine or St Denis and make a short video, see if you can keep 60 fps in a populated area at max settings.

It will take a little while to figure out what the cut off is for systems to be able to run the game at max 4k settings, with the shading and lighting effects on and maintain the 60 fps but that information would be very useful to the community.

I'll give this a go. I'll have to remember to do it. I know my computer will have its limits though and I am not using a 4K screen. Would love to invest in one soon but money is too tight just yet for that. What monitor are you using? 

On 10/20/2019 at 8:13 AM, lumper said:

Are you going to buy the game on pc?

Id love to see how it runs for you when you do.

I think it would be helpful for others thinking about it to hear from a few people who have bought it and see how it runs on their boxes so others can get a realistic idea of what would be required to run the game at the 4k/60 fps they want you to see it at.

You could do a service for many who are thinking about it but not sure how their systems would perform.

Yeah I will be getting it on PC. I'll see what I can do. I don't actually mess around with video recording or streaming on my PC so what would be the best way to go about doing this? I am familiar with OBS because of a friend so I could probably just record it through that though I am not sure how the quality will be via playback on the saved file. 

Currently play on a gaming laptop. 

Intel i5-7300HQ  2.50 GHz 

16 GB Ram 

GTX 1050 TI  4 GB 

Windows 10 

I'm considering building a gaming desktop. So far, this gaming laptop is great. Best way to play GTA 5!. 

Edited by Vendetta

On 10/21/2019 at 9:53 PM, SageNinja said:

I'll give this a go. I'll have to remember to do it. I know my computer will have its limits though and I am not using a 4K screen. Would love to invest in one soon but money is too tight just yet for that. What monitor are you using? 

Understood, just use what you have and post results, that alone will be helpful.

If you have a 4k tv you can hdmi out to it from your pc, if not no worries.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, SaulGoodMan said:

Yeah I will be getting it on PC. I'll see what I can do. I don't actually mess around with video recording or streaming on my PC so what would be the best way to go about doing this? I am familiar with OBS because of a friend so I could probably just record it through that though I am not sure how the quality will be via playback on the saved file. 

Well, you dont have to post videos, you can do screen shots and on pc there shoudl be a way to see the fps on screen while playing, so once it is out you can take alook and find out how to measure your performance.

I am watching build videos about gaming rigs and boy have things eveolved since 2008 when I built my ;last gaming rig.

What used to be around $2500 to build the ;atest greatest has been lost to $4500 -$ 6000 rigs, and thats a bit extreme.

The performance from these machines is amazing! but unless you own a system where you can simply upgrade your pc to a multi thread core chip and the latest gpu that takes up 3 slots, lol and some very good cooling, it wont make much sense to build this beast simply for rdr2, I mean if I had the disposable income, I would do it, I have a 70" 4 k tv with full array lighting and lots of bells and whistles, so I really wish I had the $$ to build one, I cant imagine how amazing this game would look at 4k with all effects on max running at or over 60 fps, I can only imagine, but I dont think you need a $4500 rig to do that.

I think for around $1200 you can come pretty close, maybe 30fps with everything on, but if you can maintain 30 fps in these settings, it is going to be awesome!!

We need some benchmarks.

I am going to make a separate post on this but this brings me to he Stadia.

Do you think it will be possible to stream the game at these settings where the power is on the server side and you only need a modest machine to run it?

I want to look into this option, I dont have a lot of experience in this arena and dont own one, but I am willing to spend the $200 or less on it and find out.

I think this could be a way for many players to play the game on pc without having to make a huge investment on hardware upgrades.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, lumper said:

Do you think it will be possible to stream the game at these settings where the power is on the server side and you only need a modest machine to run it?

I am sure it is possible, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with streaming like I mentioned. I know someone on another forum who streams on Twitch all the time, I will ask him what he thinks next time we talk.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, lumper said:

Understood, just use what you have and post results, that alone will be helpful.

If you have a 4k tv you can hdmi out to it from your pc, if not no worries.

I am not big on TV watching so I never invested on a 4k TV. I will eventually get a 4k monitor though. I bet this game is going to look absolutely gorgeous in 4k. 

23 hours ago, SageNinja said:

I am not big on TV watching so I never invested on a 4k TV. I will eventually get a 4k monitor though. I bet this game is going to look absolutely gorgeous in 4k. 

Well, they come down in price everyday,
I recommend a tv over a monitor so you can use it for everything, but to each his own.

Although, projecting a 4k image from pc to such a large screen ie: 70" or bigger can add a challenge to your pc hardware in some cases, whereas a 24" or even 40" monitor can be amazing too, I just prefer a big screen for everything, I have a 60 in my bedroom and a 70 in my living room.

Everyone is different and has their own preference, so you may or may not care that much about the extra quality, I for one have to have it, once I saw one in person it was a wrap, I had to get one.

If I were to build a gaming rig today I woudl def use my 70" as a gaming monitor and my build woudl be done with that in mind,

It is the kind of thing you will have for many years if you take care of it and get a decent one and anything you use everyday for years on end is where I think quality makes a difference, even on a bad day when I turn it on it makes me smile and rdr2 looks amazing!!

I bought mine about 5 years ago for around $2000.00, it sold for $2800.00 but I found a wholesale deal if I was willing to drive to another state, which I did, at the time the only thing close to it as far as features are concerned was a Sony for around $6000.00 I looked at them all in person and was a huge pain in the butt shopper lol.

The features it has that I wanted were Full array lighting, smart tv, 70" or bigger, etc.. the lighting thing was a big one though after looking at many many sets.
I did look at a few that were even nicer than mine, but the cost was more than double and it wasnt twice as good of an image, it was just a little nicer, so for the extra $$ I decided to go the route I took.

The one I got or one similar can be bought now for under $1000.00 some as low as $500 if you look hard.

I just knew if I was going to play 4k games on an xbox one x in native 4k, I wanted a true 4k set.

The 4k image on tv is amazing, even though not all channels broadcast in 4k, the ones that do look unreal, seriously, when you first see it you will say, it looks unreal, kind of like an old soap opera, there just is this look that takes a while to get used to.

Im also an old school Star Wars fan so for me to watch the movies in 4k on a big screen at home was a life long dream since 1977 when I first saw Star Wars and back then you couldnt see it again, there was no vhs or dvd or any other way to see the movie a second time for many years after it came out unlike now.

Meanwhile 5 years later I love this tv everytime I put it on for anything I am amazed, it looks fantastic, even my wife who didnt care one way or the other and was less than stoked when I told her I am driving 2 hours from home to spend $2000.00 on a tv.

If you have an opportunity to get a 4k set or monitor I do recommend it, IF you are the type of person who either watches a lot of tv, movies and plays a lot of games, it is well worth it for the enjoyment everytime you turn it on.

Some people dont care that much and so it isnt for everyone, personally a good tv and a good bed are two things I really enjoy and always have the best I can afford but that is just me.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

CPU: i7 6700K

Mobo: ASRock Extreme 4

RAM: G Skill Tridentz 3200 16gb

GPU: Evga 1080 FTW Gaming

Case:  Corsair 570x

Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVME, 2x Samsung 850 Pros 512gb in raid

PSU: Corsair CX750

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Monitor: Asus Rog 27"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

On 10/29/2019 at 7:59 PM, lumper said:

If you have an opportunity to get a 4k set or monitor I do recommend it, IF you are the type of person who either watches a lot of tv, movies and plays a lot of games, it is well worth it for the enjoyment everytime you turn it on.

Some people dont care that much and so it isnt for everyone, personally a good tv and a good bed are two things I really enjoy and always have the best I can afford but that is just me.

Someone I know mentioned that for what I do, it isn't necessary to go higher than UHD. Which I guess we can consider 2k. I am not someone who does video editing or graphic design where I would need a top end quality screen. I will see what goes on sale for Cyber Monday though. 

20 hours ago, SageNinja said:

Someone I know mentioned that for what I do, it isn't necessary to go higher than UHD. Which I guess we can consider 2k. I am not someone who does video editing or graphic design where I would need a top end quality screen. I will see what goes on sale for Cyber Monday though. 

Well it is up to each individual to get what they want, if you dont care about graphics or resolution then 1080p is fine, its damn good actually, it just isnt as nice as 4k, especially 4k @ 60fps.

Nobody "needs" a 4k, well let me take that back, some folks who work on graphics and video encoding, etc,. maybe need a 4k, but most gamers do not need it, they would just prefer to have it if available.

I def cant go back, once you have played in 4k its hard to go back,

• Like 1

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, my system is pretty out of date by modern standards, but can still run DCS World multiplayer, which can grind high end systems to a halt, without hitching or crashing at medium - select high settings.  I expect similar performance at low - select medium settings for RDR2, which I can live with.  If not, will hold on to the game until I can upgrade my rig.
I would love to build a much better rig now, but at current costs that is out of the question for at least a couple years yet. (Mainly so I can run VR in DCS, but will be good for things like this as well) I already use a 1080p TV, not looking to go 4K until I can build the better rig later on.  By then, the way prices are dropping, I might be able to send in a couple box tops and get a 4K TV. :)
While I will be building a better rig in the future, $4-$6K now just isn't a reasonable expenditure to me, especially to support just one or two games.  I'll come in about the time when the cutting edge now is less than cutting edge and get a great update to my build for far less, picking up pieces as I come across them at the right price. In the meantime, while eye candy is great, I have found that some things can be done away with entirely in the settings and others can be lowered quite a bit and still look good.  Frankly some things look better on low than high, depending on the game's implementation of them. Of course should I hit the lottery or find out I had a very wealthy relative I never knew about leave me money, that can change......

On 11/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, lumper said:

Well it is up to each individual to get what they want, if you dont care about graphics or resolution then 1080p is fine, its damn good actually, it just isnt as nice as 4k, especially 4k @ 60fps.

Nobody "needs" a 4k, well let me take that back, some folks who work on graphics and video encoding, etc,. maybe need a 4k, but most gamers do not need it, they would just prefer to have it if available.

I def cant go back, once you have played in 4k its hard to go back,

That is what someone just told me! People who work on graphic design and video devs need 4k but gamers and typical computer users don't. I went to a Best Buy over the weekend (last week) and was looking at some making comparisons. I only was able to do this on TVs since they didn't have any monitors on display for some reason and I did notice the difference but it was very fine details that you could see. It just makes it more like looking through a window, so more realistic to the naked eye.  

No crashes, gameplay stutters etc..nothing to report for story mode only not online:

Ryzen 7 1700x

16gb DDR4 ram 3200

Rx Vega 56 8gb

Asus prime b350 plus mb

M2.Nvme 500gb: installed game

I left the default settings that the game offered, ranging from ultra to medium in all the settings.  average fps was 63fps , max was 97 fps.

I left comodo CIS and malwarebytes running.

Note: I had to make exceptions in comodo firewall upon running.

hope that helps everyone.

Edited by magpie

• 3 weeks later...

I built this rig mostly with RDR2 in mind:

Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z390-E 

CPU: I9 9900K @ 5,1GHz on all cores

GPU: ASUS Strix RTX2080TI

RAM: 32GB HyperX Predator @ 3,2GHz

SSD Game storage: 2TB Samsung EVO 970

SSD System: 512GB Samsung EVO 960

Monitor: ASUS XG32VQ 32" @ 2560 x1440

This game is just stunning when acheiving around 80FPS all settings ultra.