Will a 250 gig data cap be enough for me?

Parzival

I was recently forced to move unexpectedly and my current location doesn't have access to the Wifi-based TV service that I previously had which allowed me the unlimited data cap, so my current Internet service is capped at 250 gigs a month. I've been searching online for an idea based on what I normally do for a bit now, but haven't found a clear answer. Basically, my online life is:

* Forums like this.

*Usual Internet stuff like emailing, web surfing, and such.

*Watching YouTube, maybe around 10 videos a day on average. Sometimes I'll go days without watching anything. Nothing excessive.

*Netflix and Hulu, on average four to five hours a day but sometimes going days without watching anything, much like YouTube.

*Typical video game stuff (aside from online gameplay) like downloading patches, updates, and DLC (and I don't buy any excessive amounts of DLC either, but sometimes those annoying 20 gig "hotfixes" do pop up). Consoles are always hooked up to WiFi, though.

So, based on this, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate as to whether a 250 gig cap will pose issues for me?

Edited by Parzival

An extremely rough estimate of my usual activities came out at 142.72 gigs. I talked with a rep from my provider who said 250 should be more than enough for what I use it for, but I'm taking that with a grain of sand as he, you know, works for the company and has a vested interest in telling me what he thinks I want to hear. They do have an unlimited data allowance I can add on and am looking into.

9 hours ago, MadMatt said:

I think you would be fine. I know people on plans that offer less and they do more than you and they get by for the month. Are you locked into a contract with this? 

Yeah, but only for a year rather than two years like other companies. It's the same provider I had before I moved, but instead of actually moving my service they felt it would be better just to cancel it and start a new account because reasons. 🙄 They've been a real sh*t show ever since I moved, no-showing multiple install appointments and giving me the runaround on the phone to the point where I had to drive 40 miles to their nearest physical office and file a BBB complaint to get the ball rolling.

Like I said, though, they have an unlimited data allowance I can tack on if need be and there's another provider in the area which I can fall back on and offers unlimited data, but can't afford their installation fee right now. And their price wouldn't be much different than if I just added the unlimited data allowance to my current service anyway, so it doesn't seem worthwhile to change.

My usage is very similar to yours except we have 2 people with very different tastes in television viewing habits, meaning that there are usually 2 tv's running at the same time during evening hours. We do no online gaming and no newsgroup downloading. I've noticed that our usage has jumped about 200 gigs a month since we have switched from Sling to Hulu and Netflix.  We went from 300/400 gigs to 500/700 gigs a month. (We have a 1TB cap.)  

Before we started streaming, 3 years ago, we would have been hard pressed to use 250 gigs a month, but streaming and settings chew that up in no time.

That sucks you are locked in. You gotta be careful. I noticed when I was on a fixed allowance on my phone, I would do the same stuff week to week and I would sometimes be running out by week 3 and other times, I would be left with GB to spare. I don't know how it works for general internet though since I was on a mobile plan.

On 10/24/2019 at 4:56 AM, Parzival said:

Yeah, but only for a year rather than two years like other companies. It's the same provider I had before I moved, but instead of actually moving my service they felt it would be better just to cancel it and start a new account because reasons. 🙄 They've been a real sh*t show ever since I moved, no-showing multiple install appointments and giving me the runaround on the phone to the point where I had to drive 40 miles to their nearest physical office and file a BBB complaint to get the ball rolling.

Like I said, though, they have an unlimited data allowance I can tack on if need be and there's another provider in the area which I can fall back on and offers unlimited data, but can't afford their installation fee right now. And their price wouldn't be much different than if I just added the unlimited data allowance to my current service anyway, so it doesn't seem worthwhile to change.

Well, at least it is only a year. I got locked into some contracts with some really crappy services before and it was always two+ years. The last cable company I had, always had problems with it but it would have cost me more to terminate the contract than to just finish paying out the remainder months. I stuck it out and haven't had cable since. Soon as I was able to, I cut ties. 

In most cases, you can get a rough estimation of usage in the first month. Just see what you used at the end of the month. Add a bit to that. If you are right up at the cut off, I would just go for unlimited. I know I watch a lot more and do a lot more on my PC in the winter months without even realizing it.