Installion/Launch Problems

Myrmidon2019

Hello I am having some issues installing the game. I can't get past the initial launch screens before seeing (see screenshot). I sent the message in italics below to support and did a live chat with someone. They told me to add some numbers into my DNS settings then disable all my firewalls and anti-virus settings before restarting my computer. I asked how I would resume the conversation if I restarted and he told me he would "keep it open" and I could resume when logging back into support. There was no such option and my ticket was closed as 'resolved'. Anyway below is what I sent.

Hello. I receive this error (see screenshot) when launching the game. Previously I was unable to even launch the game but updated to the latest graphics drivers fixed this issue however now my graphics drivers are somehow still a problem and it's in some way related to the Social Club? Steps I've taken:-

- Running the game through the launcher, through desktop shortcut, through folder .exe, as administrator, as non-administrator for all combinations of the previous.

- Disabling anti-virus.

- Allowing firewall access, disabling firewalls.

- Re-downloading most up-to-date graphics drivers. The most up-to-date is the one suggested on your website and it is the one I am using.

- Uninstalled and reinstalled Social Club.

I exceed the minimal system requirements: i5 3570k and Nvidia 1060. I have 8GB of RAM.

I'm more than happy to allow a remote access session if it'll help.

Regards

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm starting to wonder if it's because the launcher and social club won't install to the same location. Social club is hard coded to only ever install into OS C: theres no option to change it, it always magically goes there whilst the launcher can be installed anywhere. My OS C: drive is my smallest drive... I want the game, launcher and club in my big gaming SSD but it's not possible to have all 3 there as the social club is always locked :/ are there any workarounds to play the game despite them being in different locations? I can kinda get why it throws a tantrum over it but if I could move social I would.

Social Club Error.png

2 minutes ago, Anc1entC0re said:

Try running the game under a VPN for the heck of it. Also, do not disable your virus protection, just add the game folders to the allowed listing. 

You are running the game on what appears to be Windows 7. That can be your issue as well so I would mention that to Rockstar.

Appreciate the help dude. Why would the DNS/Internet/VPN even make a difference though it struck me as odd as a first step when he did it. I suspect there's more gamers on windows 7 than 10 too. It's only fairly recently that 10 got really superior, a lot of us remember when windows 10 couldnt do oldish games and we stubbornly steered clear of it since.

3 minutes ago, Myrmidon2019 said:

Appreciate the help dude. Why would the DNS/Internet/VPN even make a difference though it struck me as odd as a first step when he did it. I suspect there's more gamers on windows 7 than 10 too. It's only fairly recently that 10 got really superior, a lot of us remember when windows 10 couldnt do oldish games and we stubbornly steered clear of it since.

I have read others having success by changing their DNS and/or using a VPN. I am not sure why this works, but it has worked. It is worth a try.

Yeah and I get that but this is Rockstar. They are porting a console game over so I am sure they aren't considering very many people playing on Windows 7. They don't seem to be considering much at all give the amount of issues us PC players have been having lol

I played the game on console and it was not nearly this buggy or frustrating. 

Edited by Anc1entC0re

On 11/17/2019 at 7:19 PM, Myrmidon2019 said:

The question is, did the advice work for you?   ......so others will know who may be having the same problem.

4 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

The question is, did the advice work for you?   ......so others will know who may be having the same problem.

It did not. I've tried every single avenue currently on the internet that I can find. Nothing works and nowhere else have I seen the screenshot I posted. I've essentially wasted £42. It may never work, the more I look the more I realise the sheer number of people who can't get the game to run. Literally there are video channels with professionally qualified computer and gaming experts trying to run the game on multiple systems and computers to no avail like there's absolutely no pattern to this madness,

8 hours ago, Myrmidon2019 said:

It did not. I've tried every single avenue currently on the internet that I can find. Nothing works and nowhere else have I seen the screenshot I posted. I've essentially wasted £42. It may never work, the more I look the more I realise the sheer number of people who can't get the game to run. Literally there are video channels with professionally qualified computer and gaming experts trying to run the game on multiple systems and computers to no avail like there's absolutely no pattern to this madness,

This is the problem with console to PC games. You are bound to run into WAY more issues when you have this amount of people buying the game. It is a shame. I think they should have allowed for a testing period or something for free to ensure the game actually works for people before they pay for it.

12 hours ago, Myrmidon2019 said:

Have you downloaded the latest patch from 19 Nov, there's a note in the change log that adresses your issue i thiunk.

From: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360038342293/RDR2-Title-Update-1-14-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

Improvements to address issues that resulted in a crash and displayed the ‘Failed to initialize graphics device’ or ‘Unable to initialize graphics driver ’errors when launching the game. If this issue still occurs, please make sure you have the latest graphics card drivers installed for your system.

Also try to verify your files after (to have all the required files to be reinstalled)

1 hour ago, Anteronoid said:

Have you downloaded the latest patch from 19 Nov, there's a note in the change log that adresses your issue i thiunk.

From: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360038342293/RDR2-Title-Update-1-14-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

Also try to verify your files after (to have all the required files to be reinstalled)

Unfortunately though this is just basic crap that everyone will have done days before even visiting a forum or contacting support. They may as well have ask if I have turned it off and on again. I literally wrote a message to support. A well written message, coherent, clearly detailing what steps I had taken in separate bulletpoints. Did they read it? No. They asked me if my drivers had been updated... Yes like I said. Verified files? Yup much like second bullet point. Run as admin? Oh and yes look it's there at the bottom. And on and on.

I've seen that article too sadly.

Edited by Myrmidon2019

1 minute ago, Anteronoid said:

Well, then i'm sorry, hope you get it sorted.
I would have tried changing to Windows10 though if you want to run new games nowadays. DX12 ins't even working with Windows 7 AFAIK.

There are people who seem to have fixed the error I've been having by switching 'API from Vulkan to DX12' or something in settings but it didn't work for me. I'll post the thread below. Maybe it's because I'm on windows 7. Everyone I knew, myself included was hesitant of windows 10 when it came out because it supposedly ran games badly and furthermore didn't allow them to play old games and let's face it you can't really be a gamer without every now and again returning to the old 90's cult classics...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dyk56f/fix_for_social_club_failed_to_initialize_graphics/

I'm a 90's gamer myself. :)

Although I wouldn't hold back on switching to Win10 today. I'm prioritizing new games and future proofing rather then be able to load some old stuff. I would rather have that on a separate old PC/Laptop if so. I'm also a Oculus VR user and also love new features such as RTX Raytracing in DX12. so hanging on to Win7 would just not work

The reason I asked if you had verified the files is that it will re-install the Vulkan Run-Time Libraries. I figured it was maybe corrupt for you since its the only way you can run it in Win7. 

What Video Card do you have?

The message from Rockstar states that it cant initialize , either because you dont meet the min requirements or it doesnt have access to new Win10 DX drivers. 

Windows 7 end of service is 1/14/2020, if you want to keep ur old OS get a new HD and do a dual boot system.

Windows 10 is free you dont need to pay for it and if you dont activate it , it will still run you just wont be able to change your theme and it will say activate windows on the bottom right. You will have access to the new DX drivers but this is all for nothing depending on what card you have.

GL

6 hours ago, NastyNatives said:

What Video Card do you have?

The message from Rockstar states that it cant initialize , either because you dont meet the min requirements or it doesnt have access to new Win10 DX drivers. 

Windows 7 end of service is 1/14/2020, if you want to keep ur old OS get a new HD and do a dual boot system.

Windows 10 is free you dont need to pay for it and if you dont activate it , it will still run you just wont be able to change your theme and it will say activate windows on the bottom right. You will have access to the new DX drivers but this is all for nothing depending on what card you have.

GL

Hey dude appreciate the response. My card is a Nvidia 1060 6GB. So it's a decent card, not top of the range but fine for a couple of years yet. My CPU is an intel i5 3570k if that's at all useful. I do kinda want to get windows 10 now but I've no idea how to switch from 7 to 10. I assume it's not as simple as downloading something and hitting run. I don't even mind paying for it really, I'll need it for the future so..

35 minutes ago, Myrmidon2019 said:

Hey dude appreciate the response. My card is a Nvidia 1060 6GB. So it's a decent card, not top of the range but fine for a couple of years yet. My CPU is an intel i5 3570k if that's at all useful. I do kinda want to get windows 10 now but I've no idea how to switch from 7 to 10. I assume it's not as simple as downloading something and hitting run. I don't even mind paying for it really, I'll need it for the future so..

The CPU and GPU are fine thats not the problem.

Since you are already running windows 7 with an active license i think this would be be your best option.

since you will be transferring your Serial key to windows 10. The music is annoying but great video!

I would suggest back ups or important files before installing.. do a clean install the system will run better!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NastyNatives said:

The CPU and GPU are fine thats not the problem.

Since you are already running windows 7 with an active license i think this would be be your best option.

since you will be transferring your Serial key to windows 10. The music is annoying but great video!

I would suggest back ups or important files before installing.. do a clean install the system will run better!

Again much appreciated! Although...

What I originally had was an 'OEM Windows 7' I had my mobo replaced 2 years ago and when my PC came back home it said my windows 7 was unvalidated. I can't validate it, I've even found stuff to download and find the code in the machines binary, it won't accept any codes. So I'm running a kinda broken windows 7 I guess... Dunno how this effects things..

6 hours ago, RoCsTaRr mAkEs GrEaT gAmEs said:

I have w10 and im getting the same exact error... ive walk hell in highwater and tried the vpn also I even ran an ovh and nothing is fixing it... ive deleted literally everything and did reinstalls...…………………………………… this shits fried bro

I seem to have fixed my issues and have been playing for about 4 days now. I suspected (from reading elsewhere) that they did some stupid with the way the game was coded resulting in a couple of things:-

1.) Social Club will only embed itself into a C: drive. If you put it in any other drive it'll appear back in C: and causes issues. 

2.) The game (and launcher) itself must be in the same place as the Social Club. 

My issue was that I have 3 drives with plenty of space but that my main C: drive was only 111GB and my system files and OS took up nearly all of it. So here's what I did and what has seemed to have fixed the issue. 

1.) Wiped and unplugged all my drives. 

2.) Hooked up one drive, my F: drive. 

3.) Fresh install of windows 10 from boot USB. 

4.) After installation the machine now recognises my large F: drive as my C: drive and has dumped my OS and system files in there as its the only drive connected.

5.) Downloaded DX12 (now I'm on windows 10) although I'm still using the Vulkan thing so this may not even matter (but half of computing is black magic witchcraft anyway). 

6.) Installed RDR2, game, launcher, social club all into my new C: drive. Nothing else is plugged in so it cannot embed itself anywhere else. I currently don't have my other 2 drives plugged in but I assume it's safe to do them now. 

• Haha 1