Gold Panning

Pioneer

Question

I noticed there is gold panning in the game you can watch and either rob or leave them alone when they find a nugget. My question is would there be a possibility to incorporate gold panning as a way to venture across the map along the water sources like the others and make a little money? 

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Yes!. Give us a new town based off of Deadwood as well. 

Preferably without the over-the-top foul language though. (Despite any claims from the producers, that was not historically accurate, and anyone that foul mouthed would have been "encouraged" to move on rather quickly, even on the frontier.) I just couldn't watch the show because of it.  It wears on me pretty quick.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Faelwolf said:

Preferably without the over-the-top foul language though. (Despite any claims from the producers, that was not historically accurate, and anyone that foul mouthed would have been "encouraged" to move on rather quickly, even on the frontier.) I just couldn't watch the show because of it.  It wears on me pretty quick.

"Gratuitous violence is okay as long as there's no naughty language!" - Sheila Broflovski

1 hour ago, Parzival said:

"Gratuitous violence is okay as long as there's no naughty language!" - Sheila Broflovski

heh! I think it's more a prudish aversion to naughty bits.  You can show a man get his brains blown out in graphic detail and get a PG rating, but let some svelte young thing flash her generous bouncy bits, and it's a hard R.  The problem with Deadwood wasn't some bad language, the problem was practically every other word being profane. It lost it's "shock value" very quickly, then became tiring.  It's a shame, as otherwise the writing and story line wasn't so bad, what I could stand to watch of it.  Just like today, on the frontier course language wasn't unknown or unexpected, but Deadwood took it way too far.  In my circles such a large amount of foul language is seen as a sign of insecurity and weakness.  Back in the day, it was seen in an even lower view.  I am no prude, I come from a Navy family, worked in corrections for a few years, and am ex-military, I am no stranger to course language!
BTW, another trope that is common today that would not be tolerated back then is a two-gun man.  Anyone seen wearing a double pistol rig like some movies and TV shows (and a certain game we all love) would have been flagged as a trouble maker or an outlaw from the get-go, and would have been harassed in every town. The "Wild West" was a lot tamer than is commonly portrayed.
I was a Victorian Era re-enactor and Living History demonstrator back in my younger, healthier days.  I still have a lot of tolerance for historical errors in movies and TV shows, they are just entertainment after all, so don't think I am just nitpicking Deadwood to be a "button counter". It got a lot of things right, I just feel it was ruined by the language decision. I am not the only one, it was brought up numerous times by critics and fans alike when it was airing.  For language (and lots of other small details within reason for a TV show) look to Hell on Wheels for a more accurate portrayal of the Old West. Though it is still a TV show, and puts more action in one episode than a real person would have probably seen in a year. If you want to see how actually boring, stressful, and more-or-less uneventful the Old West really was, watch "Meeks Cutoff" if you can stay awake through it. :)

I would have loved to see some references to Deadwood in the game. Maybe there are and I overlooked them. 

As for the gold panning, I want to be able to have this be a trade/role. It would be a good way to earn money.