Asinine file sizes in MW

Remember back in December when Infinity Ward/Activision told us that future updates would be smaller? I do. The latest update is another 30gb. Now the game is close to taking up 200gb worth of space.

I’m starting to believe the conspiracy theory that Activision wants to completely take over your hard drive so you can only play their game. Done. Going back to BF4. 

Edited by Enoch

They addressed that in February after Season 2 but yeah, on PS4 it's currently at about 189 GB.   

In my case, I purchased a 1TB Samsung Evo 860 external SSD earlier last year so I have tons of space.  As it is, I have 14 of my games and 17 of my son's games loaded on my system which includes CoD:MW.  Before that, I was always running into storage problems having to decide which game(s) I would delete to make way for new ones.  As is it is now, I have 320GB to spare. 

.....but yeah, MW is massive compared to other games.  The only problem I have with them personally is when I forget to download them before I want to play.   The one before last was a little deceiving as it was in two parts.  .....one required you to log into the game first which none of my friends or I did.  

The file size isn't going to make me walk away from the game though.  ....at least not anymore. 

The PS4 was coupled with a woefully inadequate HDD.  I always had problems with storage space.  The ext SSD solved all that for me.  I found one for $100 on sale at a local Best Buy.  ....they normally go for about $150 or less.  The thing is, it turned out that the SSD also performs way better than my internal HDD thanks to the 3.0 USB ports.  Some rendering, loading screens, etc. are noticeably faster.  I'll likely be using this SSD to compliment my PS5's internal SSD or as personal storage if not.  

I have a 2TB drive in my PS4. Think I still have at least one of those TB left.

But, yeah, file sizes for MW were excessively high when I had it. When I first got it, I had to download 80 GB worth of patches, then the "season 2" (or whatever it was called) patch was another 15. That was all in one month. If you're on a data cap like I am, it's especially tough. But I traded it in months ago as I found the game to not be everything it was cracked up to be. The comparisons putting its campaign on the same level of CoD4's were total BS, IMO. Plus, I take issue with IW's blatant ignorance in the subject of geography. But I digress.

Edited by Parzival

I skipped years of CoD mainly because of the run & gun PvP and I felt the "on rails" campaigns were dated, too short and lacked any replayability for me.  .....still do.  

However, their focus on weapons this time with more grounded benefits / drawbacks to their accessories was a real draw to me.  Their weaponsmith is great and although I wish it was a more tactical game (still too run & gun for me even with the toning down of those elements), my friends and I are having a lot of fun with it in the Hardcore modes where lethality is drastically increased, markers are essentially removed (aside from UAVs, etc.), no kill cams, etc.  

In either case, it should help get us by until Insurgency Sandstorm launches this August.

....sucks to have the bandwidth limit.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.

Yeah, well, enjoy it while you can, because you could be in my shoes before you know it. I was loving my unlimited data until 5 and a half months ago when my landlord's bitch of a wife suddenly decided she wanted me evicted just because she felt like it and he wouldn't go against it despite himself admitting it wasn't right simply because he didn't want to argue with her about it. Unfortunately, the law at the time didn't offer any kind of protection from that, otherwise I'd have sued him into homelessness and her into the whorehouse, then moved out willingly just to spite them more.

1 hour ago, Parzival said:

Yeah, well, enjoy it while you can, because you could be in my shoes before you know it. 

I've had people telling me that for years but yeah, if that day comes I'll just have to do what I need to do.  .....whether that's paying more for an unlimited service, etc. 

I know our usage isn't going to likely change and we'll just end up paying more.  ....c'est la vie.

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I've had people telling me that for years but yeah, if that day comes I'll just have to do what I need to do.  .....whether that's paying more for an unlimited service, etc. 

I know our usage isn't going to likely change and we'll just end up paying more.  ....c'est la vie.

There's only one provider in my area that offers unlimited data, but they charge absurd prices. I imagine it would be plenty easy for my current provider to just say, "Hey, you know what? You guys use as much as you want and we'll just charge you a flat rate!" since they offer phone service with no data cap in this area, but ... capitalism, right? 🤑