Will the Bounty system change for Online?

YodaMan 3D

Saturday or maybe Sunday, several groups was in Tumbleweed.  All getting along no ignorance.  Very peaceful and yahoo comes riding in shooting left and right kills several NPCs and a PC or 2.  So those in my Posse, take cover and send this yahoo to the cementary.  Before he hits the ground, we all have bounties and head for the quick exit out of town.   Soon as we get out of town, the bounties go away.  We go back to Tumbleweed and there are no issues.  

1st.  We shot in self defense.  Got a bounty?

2nd, Ride out of town and then return.  No bounty?

3rd, Unfortunately, he didn't live long enough to get a bounty and the NPC next to me didn't shoot back at him, till my Posse killed the guy.  Then it became hunting season on us.  WTF?

Yeah, there seems to be no consequences.  .....or at least lasting ones.  

I never saw a dollar amount on my head but my friend and I tore up a town just to see what would happen (only killing NPCs mind you).  Escaped, then stopped and killed a few waves of lawmen and then they stopped coming.  ....went back to town and it was as if nothing happened.

I suspect this is simply one of those components that had not been added yet.  I would also like to see bounties on those who kill fellow players indiscriminately.  ....with NPC posses that chase after them.

Edited by Kean_1
  • Like 1

Ah, the wonders of Beta.

I've always been dubious as to the way the "Wanted" system worked in both the story and online.  Most of the time, it makes sense, but the definitely not random confluence of events I've experienced definitely makes for an inconsistent gaming experience at best, and is borderline unplayable at worst.

It reminds me of the old "Rogue Agent" system in The Division.  Experienced players/trolls would intentionally jump into the line of fire of a scoped player just to get nicked enough to have the unaware player labeled as "Rogue"--targeted on everyone's minimap, and turning them into a target.

Realistically, that's how RDR2O should probably function: no minimap blips unless you have line-of-sight on another player, you hear gunfire (similar to the white blips in story mode), or they're Wanted for killing another player.  That would do a lot to discourage senseless killing of other players; knowing you had a target on your back and stuck out like a sore thumb.  

And to remove it should cost Gold, unless you're killed.  Maybe offer gold rewards in exchange for killing or turning in a Wanted player.  Sure, it could be exploited to farm gold, but there could also be a cooldown period of 24 hours.  After the first time a player is killed or captured after being Wanted, there isn't a gold reward for turning them in for another 24 hours.  this would limit exploiting/farming.

• Like 2

I would like the bounties to be somewhat more realistic. Like I get that they can't entirely recreate what real bounties are like or would have been like back then but there has to be a middle ground here. Something better than what they have right now would be nice. 

1 hour ago, cadashka said:

I would love to see the bounty system to be like in story mode. Lots of $ on your head if you go on a rampage.

....along with posses and lawmen that will hunt you down in that region.  

That would sure help take the wind out of the troll's sails and at least hold them accountable.

• Like 1