Murfree Brood Horses?

So I just saved a woman from the back of a horse and cart outside of Saint Denis,  quickly killing the two men holding her captive (I’m assuming they were Murfree Brood fellers) and I always cut free the horse, ride it to a stable and sell it but this is a horse I haven’t come across before. The breed is definitely a standard breed (blanket appaloosa) however the she’s scruffy as hell, scabby, has hair missing and the skin on her legs is raw and bleeding. I took her through water, groomed her and gave her medicine all the normal stuff to make her regain health but she’s remained scruffy, wounded and sad looking. Just wondering if anyone else has come across these horses? Slightly reminds me of the Dark Horse available in the first RDR when you hit the lowest possible honor rank. I don’t know, this could be extremely common and I’m only just experiencing it but so far I’ve seen or heard nothing of them. Regardless I’m keeping her because she’s different! 

BECE1F06-F52A-4E97-A1C7-4B781CE75111.jpeg

A3E3C8A0-42EB-42BC-8128-AB0A8AF2E7A6.jpeg

4C21C120-1F01-4757-81E2-37BECD3A10FC.jpeg

• Like 1

I've acquired one of these horses too.

I got it during the ...

Spoiler

... last story mission in Chapter 5  That's Murfree Country. There is a part where you travel to Butcher Creek, and you have a choice to either continue on foot or "borrow" one of these horses. No one was hostile to me in Butcher Creek during this. I had done a side quest a while prior to this mission where I returned a Murfree man to this settlement. Maybe that made them non-hostile to me?

After all that it remained with me at camp. I wondered what's wrong with their appearance too. It looks sick or mistreated. However, it seems to be a normal functioning horse.  But it does look the style of those creepy Murfree Brood. They don't clean up too well do they?

• Like 2

Oh wow, this is interesting, I’m on my second play through of the game and taking more time to explore this time and couldn’t believe I hadn’t come across these horses before. I can’t find anything about them online but they’re interesting! And agreed, the Murfree brood are pretty unkempt looking themselves so it’s only fitting that their horses would match!

Edited by charl93
Typo
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2018 at 6:54 PM, Hazed0NE said:

Looks like the old girl has a bad case of mange or something. I never had one of them but I have seen them. I thought they were ill or something so I didn't bother with them. 

I know this thread is old but since it was bumped I will ask here.

Are horses considered ill when they look like this or is it just aesthetics? Like if they only look this way and there is nothing wrong with them, I want one cause I think they look cool.

1 hour ago, dIV4r said:

I know this thread is old but since it was bumped I will ask here.

Are horses considered ill when they look like this or is it just aesthetics? Like if they only look this way and there is nothing wrong with them, I want one cause I think they look cool.

they were abused by the Murfree Brood, but they run and handle just like any other horse of their type.

• 1 month later...

I just got one of these mistreated horses too, a Nokota. I rescued a women from two murfree brood dudes.

I was trying to find something on this horse but stumbled upon this thread. Couldn't find anything else.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep her, give her a better life and call her Patches.

• 2 months later...

in the water around and near the creek and area there is a dilemma that happens where you have to go search a cave and find out the cave is filled with poison and its been poisoning the towns folk and animals so in the area you will find and come across a man who is "helping" them "cleanse" the area of "demons"  ultimately the man wants to keep the water poisoned so the people will either die off or give away the land to him and his oil company either way he wants it and the animals and people are being poisoned and falling ill

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I got her, too! I named her Dolly lol. I've been super impressed with the horses so far, but now I'm even more so, seeing her. She's not skinny any more, but the rain rot and scars, and injuries on her all look totally real, like something you might actually see on a horse in that condition. Also, we trotted right past a bear and she didn't even blink.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, junbugg said:

"ultimately the man wants to keep the water poisoned "

thats not the vibe that i got from him. he wants to cover it all up so that his employers can get away with poisoning the river with the wastewater from the mine.

9 hours ago, harry747 said:

thats not the vibe that i got from him. he wants to cover it all up so that his employers can get away with poisoning the river with the wastewater from the mine.

Yeah, he's just trying to trick the residents of Butcher Creek into signing away liability so the company he works for can't be sued.