Is it online if...

Cliffs

There are no griefers/trolls?

If all's you want to do is hunt and fish?

If there is NO true bounty system?

If you wave and say hello all the time?

Wait a minute, this sounds like single player except the bounty system.

Not saying i like the griefers/trolls but if we aren't fighting each other in game, what is online all about?

It does say Free Roam, not Free Summary Execution. I get your point, not saying it shouldn't be there, there are opportunities within the game, and ways to get into fights from the (limited) interactions we can have, I've enjoyed getting into fist fights in the saloon after a few whiskies which spread out around Valentine, and surely it's better from a RP point of view (at least in your own mind) to manufacture that kind of fight than to snipe people from a distance as your introduction.

Yeah, it feels a bit limited sitting there waving at people, or fumbling to try a good spit, I wish there was more varied interaction options, staying within the character. That would be a step forward for me. As it is, the huge step forward in the visuals of the game are my weakness, it's when I get distracted by the technical marvel on the screen that my head is mostly a target for snipers. I suppose it's an interaction, of sorts, and only yesterday am unprovoked snipe set me off on half an hour's back and forth, I got the varmint, don't you worry 'bout that. So I get the fun, but as someone who's probably here because it's NOT just a shootin' game, it would be good if the interactions were more than gun-shaped...

47 minutes ago, Cliffs said:

Not saying i like the griefers/trolls but if we aren't fighting each other in game, what is online all about?

So tell me why they put in SHOWDOWN mode ?? For killing for fun in the freeroam mode. I tell you those ppl killing in freeroam for nothing ore just bad in showdown are just little snotnosed kids, ore ppl that are mentalie retard i would say.

1 hour ago, Cliffs said:

Someone sniping me while I'm minding my own business or murdering me when I'm on a trip to the store isn't what I thought online was supposed to be about.

As someone already suggested, you do know there are modes within the game to accommodate those who are just here to kill one another. Interesting that there are modes to accommodate those who want to wreak havoc upon other players but no modes the opposite of those. Maybe because it's a beta. 

If bullying is supposed to be part of the game, then so be it. But let there be consequences. There are really none at this point.

Some friends and are submitting to Rockstar that griefers be charged 1/2 their money and gold every time they kill someone. The victim would get half of the half.

Or Rockstar could drop their level by ten for every offense and they would lose the capability to use anything that you have ranked up to get accordingly.

I guess I can accept a system where griefing and bullying are allowed--but there should be some consequences. There are none.

2 hours ago, Cliffs said:

Online is about selling gold bars.. while making the grind aspect as slow as possible..lol

This Beta has out worn its welcome.

2 hours ago, Netnow66 said:

I guess I can accept a system where griefing and bullying are allowed--but there should be some consequences. There are none.

This is where i agree completely. I know it's a beta and we are supposed to find errors and glitches and what not but i never get to stay alive or connected (lately) for more than 1/2 hour at a time.

Just because someone doesn't enjoy or understand online PvE / co-op gameplay, doesn't make it less legitimate.  

I never found the campaign boring and I definitely don't find things like invite-only, online sessions boring either.  There is also much more to the RDO gameworld than just hunting, fishing and exploring.  The NPCs are also a big part of it.  A lot of times my mates and I simply want to get in a game and play missions, raid gang hideouts, experience ambushes, terrorize the locals, defend against posses, etc.  without being bothered by randoms or especially trolls.

That's not to say that I also would enjoy the Free Roam mode but as mentioned, something has to be done in the anti-griefing department and apparently it will after the holidays.  In the meantime, both my friends and I have been pretty successful at mitigating our exposure to griefers.