Dino bones and stone carvings

tusken186

Question

15 answers to this question

15 hours ago, tusken186 said:

Maps and videos of dinosaur bones and stone carvings are a dime a dozen on YouTube, but I'd rather find them on my own. But how do you find them? Do you just stumble upon them or is there a hint to the locations?

They're scattered all over the map, you won't be able to complete these until the epilogue.  i don't see any way to find them all unless you use a map or video as reference, some of them are hidden quite well.  There are no hints, the first couple i found i discovered while looking for herbs.  when you eagle eye and are in range of one it will have a glitter affect above it like the legendary animal tracking items.

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Umm. No. The bones and carvings (and dreamcatchers) can all be found before the epilogue chapters. 

Its the legendary animals and fish, and some challenges that needs access to the new area on the map. 

I want whatever you're on.  So how'd you get into New Austin, survive the bounty hunters long enough to get the last 8 there?  I never could make it across the river into New Austin.

Rock carvings and dreamcathers yes you can do before epilogue.

2019-02-01_105339.jpg

10 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Dang, sorry about that, I mis-remembered that. I had thought that I got all the bones on my previous run through. It was the carvings and dreamcatchers I must have completed. 

No worries,  i tried and tried to get into New Austin for those bones and the legendary fish/animals.  Farthest i ever made it was just across the river.

I think he said he didnt want to use a map, or guide, so best advice is to know they are there, and everywhere you go, use eagle eye/dead eye to look for tips, clues and interesting things,.

I have done it both ways, I was not finding any and getting overwhelmed then I decided to look up one, and use a map, after that and seeing a generally layout of where some others were, I just kept my eyes open in those areas, and found them, especially the rock carvings, some of those are tough.

I thought the same thing, if you do this with no maps, it is going to take a while.

As far as getting into the lower part of the map, there is a simple way that works, you just have to do the bronto mission, I wont spoil anything here, but you can easily look that up, its very simple and works well, you just cant leave the game and come back, if you do, you have to do it all over again, I had a controller mishap and paused the game went out to buy a new one, came back and realized I had to syn the controller, when I did I decided to back out of the game, and when I came back, my pass was revoked lol.

Edited by lumper

Just look for spices and herbs everywhere you go, get used to using dead eye everywhere, doing this you will find dream catchers, dino bones and rock carvings, as they all give off orange dots/bubbles, and carvings light up when  you are near in dead eye.

It will take a lot longer and be more difficult, but you can do it.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, Kormath said:

I want whatever you're on.  So how'd you get into New Austin, survive the bounty hunters long enough to get the last 8 there?  I never could make it across the river into New Austin.

I got halfway through the mountains on my ride from Van Horn to Blackwater ... before I was faced with 12 of the best hand gun snipers I've ever seen! They shot me right through my dead eye... 

LOL the Blackwater shooters never miss.

Yeah if you dont go right after that particular mission in I think the end of chapter 3, and make sure at least one cop see's you as you leave the cemetery then for whatever reason, you can go and nobody will shoot at you as long as you dont break the law or do anything stupid, I just went looking for legendary animals and fish.

12 hours ago, lumper said:

LOL the Blackwater shooters never miss.

Yeah if you dont go right after that particular mission in I think the end of chapter 3, and make sure at least one cop see's you as you leave the cemetery then for whatever reason, you can go and nobody will shoot at you as long as you dont break the law or do anything stupid, I just went looking for legendary animals and fish.

So I actually don't remember this mission that everyone was talking about LOL but I was going to ask when I saw the legendary fish post in the other forum ... when I replay to the improve the experience I will make special note of that... I am a notorious murderer though so I do have problems "not doing anything stupid" ha! 

Edited by Dewy1314

LOL good luck it is hit or miss, I went as Arthur and grabbed the rams head mask in New Austin, I didnt realize anyone was there, I saw signs of people but noone around, so I just rode in and jumped the fence grabbed and started to leave when all of a sudden a few farmers/ranchers came out to stop me, I thought, uh oh now I've done it, but I was able to kill them, and get away and not have a bounty or any problems, just dont leave any witnesses.

Edited by lumper

where is this mask you speak of? I just have my Viking helmet to make me look funny! So I love my Viking Hatchet! I was very upset I had to drop my machete for a broken pirate sword but I have a pirate sword and that's better!