Foxtrot

Foxtrot

Well, this is me.  I'm somewhat over 50, so slower than a lot of other young folks around here.

I've been gaming on and off ever since the early days of home computers (anyone remember Pong on the old Atari?)  I'm not saying I'm any good at many of the games I played, I just play to enjoy them.

I've worked all my life with computers, and I'm currently a software developer for a large UK based software company.  Thankfully, I enjoy my job and have a great boss.  I live in the south of the UK with my partner and two dogs.  I get onto the console when I'm allowed to (that's about 600 hours worth since RDR2 was released...)

I used to have a PS1 years ago and played a lot of Doom, until it started making me really really angry.  I bought an Xbox 360 solely after watching adverts for Forza Motorsport 3. And then FM4 was release, and then Forza Horizon, FM5, Forza Horizon 2 (you get the picture).  I was a moderator on the Forza Motorsports official site, so I've seen some of the best and worse of online gaming.   I tend to play in campaign/story mode most of the time - I'm just not quick enough to catch up or compete with the kids online these days.

So now I'm here.  Being helped by the good folk here, and trying to pay it back when I can.

And now some fool goes and makes me a moderator!  That's as bad as putting Pearson in charge of food...

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Hey Fox,

I'm the same age. I was surprised to see so many of us older gamers on here to be honest.  

Not that surprising, given how chill everyone is for the most part.  I'd expect most of the forum users here skew towards the more "experienced" end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 9:35 AM, Foxtrot said:

Well, this is me.  I'm somewhat over 50, so slower than a lot of other young folks around here.

I've been gaming on and off ever since the early days of home computers (anyone remember Pong on the old Atari?)  I'm not saying I'm any good at many of the games I played, I just play to enjoy them.

I've worked all my life with computers, and I'm currently a software developer for a large UK based software company.  Thankfully, I enjoy my job and have a great boss.  I live in the south of the UK with my partner and two dogs.  I get onto the console when I'm allowed to (that's about 600 hours worth since RDR2 was released...)

I used to have a PS1 years ago and played a lot of Doom, until it started making me really really angry.  I bought an Xbox 360 solely after watching adverts for Forza Motorsport 3. And then FM4 was release, and then Forza Horizon, FM5, Forza Horizon 2 (you get the picture).  I was a moderator on the Forza Motorsports official site, so I've seen some of the best and worse of online gaming.   I tend to play in campaign/story mode most of the time - I'm just not quick enough to catch up or compete with the kids online these days.

So now I'm here.  Being helped by the good folk here, and trying to pay it back when I can.

From our interactions on these boards over the past 6 weeks I knew we were very similar.

I am 50, also gaming since Pong, in around 1975, had all the consoles including the Adam pc that ran on cassettes, lol not even a floppy yet, had a game on there that was 3d, I cant remember if it was sky fox or Zaxxon, but it was amazing for the day.

We played breakout and hockey lol on the old Pong system.

I used to build gaming pcs to play Quake 2 back when the Intel p2 was the big game in town, I built AMD machines back then that could smoke any p2 out there, anyway, kindred spirits man.

I went from consoles to pc just after Goldeneye came out, and quake 2 was out, my buddy had a decent graphics card and showed me people playing  Q2 "Lithium" online and I was instantly hooked,  that and Weapons of destruction or WOD as it was called, my favorite.

I went on to Toms Hardware site and read "what is a platform" that article changed my life, I went from knowing nothing about pcs to assembling them from scratch with components I knew would open up the Front side bus and allow throughput like I had never seen before, and it worked.

I was able to play Quake 2 at 1200x1600 at 99 fps and it was smooth as butta and my buddy was green with envy, then I built him a machine.

I went that weekend and bought a motherboard, and all the fixin's and built myself a gaming machine and never looked back, until the Xbox one came along, then I decided that the games have come so far now, that for $450 I can get nearly the same quality as I can with my $2500 pc's, so I retired my gaming pcs and bought the xbox one x and I havent looked back.

Anyway I had a feeling that we had similar interests and were around the same age just from your posts and demeanor,

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Yeah, I also used to build my own PCs.  I found out the hard way that a x486 CPU really does work a whole lot better with a heat-sink.

Oh wow, I'm old enough to have a demeanor.

LOL.

I learned this myself and you know all my machines after that had copper syncs I never went to liquid cooling, but I had some extreme air machines.

I did fry a power supply one night, it puffed a thick cloud of white smoke, the smoke smelled just like crack if you have  ever had the mis-pleasure of smelling what crack smells like, it was a room full of smoke that to me smelled like a crack bong had just been hit, lol it was awful.

I have done the "pencil trick" unlocked multipliers, fsb's voltage regulators, etc.. it was a lot of fun, but too expensive these days, if I had the budget I would build one just for the pc release of this game, but, alas, I do not so....

Edited by lumper

I stopped with all that PC building stuff when it became apparent I had to buy new stuff whenever a new game came out - and all that stuff had to have more stuff so that it was all compatible (usually this meant a new case and everything else just to use the latest graphics card).

So I bought an Atari ST, then an Amiga.  Then I started up an ANSI BBS.

39 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

I stopped with all that PC building stuff when it became apparent I had to buy new stuff whenever a new game came out - and all that stuff had to have more stuff so that it was all compatible (usually this meant a new case and everything else just to use the latest graphics card).

That's when I stopped as well.  It started feeling like a never ending battle.  

While my MBs, CPUs, sound cards, memory, HDDs, etc. were usually good to go for a while, it was the video cards I was replacing more often.  It got to the point where I had a hard time justifying the upgrades.  Just wasn't worth it.  .....and as time went on the new cards required new, more powerful power supplies and new MBs with the appropriate interface.   Enough was enough so I bought the PS3 when they came out and been a PS player ever since.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 10:55 AM, Kean_1 said:

Hey Fox,

I'm the same age. I was surprised to see so many of us older gamers on here to be honest.  

Me too.  I find RDR2 very relaxing.  After a long day, I enjoy leisurely trotting around on my horse deciding what to do, some shootouts etc here and there, hunting, even fishing.  The frantic nonstop action button mashing games, on the other hand, are way too much for me. 

I bought a a PS4 on impulse more than a year and a half ago and RDR2 is the first game I ever played for more than 5 minutes.  Until reading the glowing reviews in non-gaming publications like the NYT, Atlantic, etc., it just sat it my closet collecting dust with a handful of shrink wrapped games.  Even then I didn't take the plunge with RDR2 until earlier this month.

• Like 2

Hope you carry on enjoying the game.  It's given me many hours of fun and relaxation.  It's one of those few games that have more to offer the casual/offline gamer more than about 25 hours of gameplay.

• Like 1