Jump to content

How to save the game


Voss
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sad to say our posse has quit playing.

But here are some really simple ideas that if implemented would encourage player movement and make the world feel more alive.

1. "Double" the number of players on a session.

2. Make some tweaks to some of the missions so they have alternate pickup and destination locations and make the route longer.

3. More raiders/bandits during missions to make it more challenging. It's like the game doesn't change if you are a level 10 or a level 100.

4. Player/Posse assassination missions should be more player vs player so the target doesn't just run. Encourage the target with double XP if they can kill the assassin. Whoever kills first. This should be a no brainer and take what is normally a wasted 5 minutes into an engaging experience.

5. Bounty system change: Player kills you for "no reason" you can pick up their body and take it to a post office for a bounty. Have 3 minutes to get it there and the player killed doesn't spawn back for 60 seconds. Any other player can try to get the body and take it for the reward with no penalty. There would  have to be other details ironed out, but nothing ground breaking.

6. Missions that allow you to risk something. Say you want to risk/put up $5 per wagon to take escort them "across" the map. Each wagon that makes it earns you $5. You loose $5 for each wagon that does not make it.

7. Bring crafting back. ex: long range arrows take 1 eagle feathers, this could be whatever but would make grinding hunting more fun and would be the infancy of a commerce system.

8. Rare animals (don't over populate this (could even have an ability card that would help), but something for the folks that like to hunt/grind). Maybe their is a crafting element to this as well as rare animals can make/improve x item.

9. Incremental/small upgrades to weapons and accessories. This should have a high cost per item, but once you reach level 90ish there is no reason for money or XP.

All of these should fit into the engine they already have built and would actually turn the open world into just that. More of a world with real people interacting with real people. They have done very little if anything to encourage player movement. Some of these would be just meta data changes for the most part and not that much actual coding.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the topic of submitting feedback to R* that @dIV4r suggested, here is the link in case you're interested:  

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=f2e50892

There is a 500 character limit but there is no limit on the amount of times you are allowed to submit feedback on that website.  ....so breaking it down may be your best bet.

Either way, suggestions are always welcome (and encouraged) to be shared here to spread the word, bounce off others, start a discussion, etc.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the idea of there being rare animals simply because I really enjoy the hunting aspect of the game and that really focuses in on that. I might just send a request for that to them. I assumed it would be a thing eventually in the game but just in case, I think it is best to let them know us hunters want more fun too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Voss said:

Sad to say our posse has quit playing.

But here are some really simple ideas that if implemented would encourage player movement and make the world feel more alive.

1. "Double" the number of players on a session.

2. Make some tweaks to some of the missions so they have alternate pickup and destination locations and make the route longer.

3. More raiders/bandits during missions to make it more challenging. It's like the game doesn't change if you are a level 10 or a level 100.

4. Player/Posse assassination missions should be more player vs player so the target doesn't just run. Encourage the target with double XP if they can kill the assassin. Whoever kills first. This should be a no brainer and take what is normally a wasted 5 minutes into an engaging experience.

5. Bounty system change: Player kills you for "no reason" you can pick up their body and take it to a post office for a bounty. Have 3 minutes to get it there and the player killed doesn't spawn back for 60 seconds. Any other player can try to get the body and take it for the reward with no penalty. There would  have to be other details ironed out, but nothing ground breaking.

6. Missions that allow you to risk something. Say you want to risk/put up $5 per wagon to take escort them "across" the map. Each wagon that makes it earns you $5. You loose $5 for each wagon that does not make it.

7. Bring crafting back. ex: long range arrows take 1 eagle feathers, this could be whatever but would make grinding hunting more fun and would be the infancy of a commerce system.

8. Rare animals (don't over populate this (could even have an ability card that would help), but something for the folks that like to hunt/grind). Maybe their is a crafting element to this as well as rare animals can make/improve x item.

9. Incremental/small upgrades to weapons and accessories. This should have a high cost per item, but once you reach level 90ish there is no reason for money or XP.

All of these should fit into the engine they already have built and would actually turn the open world into just that. More of a world with real people interacting with real people. They have done very little if anything to encourage player movement. Some of these would be just meta data changes for the most part and not that much actual coding.

Extremely well thought out ! Love all of these ideas. I'm a straight forward gamer that loves PvP , pve , hunting , fishing. I hope some of these get installed. Level 121 now so some of us are just riding to protect. Need content badly. Anyways well done and hope R* listens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Voss said:

1. "Double" the number of players on a session.

Probably not feasible given the current net code for the game.  They already have issues with disconnects occurring regularly to a disproportionate number of users.  They should consider expanding the current posse size limits, though, as a compromise.

17 hours ago, Voss said:

2. Make some tweaks to some of the missions so they have alternate pickup and destination locations and make the route longer.

3. More raiders/bandits during missions to make it more challenging. It's like the game doesn't change if you are a level 10 or a level 100.

4. Player/Posse assassination missions should be more player vs player so the target doesn't just run. Encourage the target with double XP if they can kill the assassin. Whoever kills first. This should be a no brainer and take what is normally a wasted 5 minutes into an engaging experience.

The missions and stranger quests definitely need some tweaking and refinement.  But that's why the game is still "in beta", so these things can be ironed out.

17 hours ago, Voss said:

5. Bounty system change: Player kills you for "no reason" you can pick up their body and take it to a post office for a bounty. Have 3 minutes to get it there and the player killed doesn't spawn back for 60 seconds. Any other player can try to get the body and take it for the reward with no penalty. There would  have to be other details ironed out, but nothing ground breaking.

This seems like it would be better suited as a variation of the stage coach mission, or a natural extension of the current "bounty missions" that involve stealing stage coaches or boats, etc..."

Applying a variation of the model to the current "bounty" system to dissuade players will only engage trolls to steal bodies and dump them in rivers/lakes/streams or feed them to gators/bears/cougars.

17 hours ago, Voss said:

6. Missions that allow you to risk something. Say you want to risk/put up $5 per wagon to take escort them "across" the map. Each wagon that makes it earns you $5. You loose $5 for each wagon that does not make it.

Too much potential to abuse for "boosting" money or transferring in-game currency between accounts, something R* would want to avoid because it would be too easy to exploit.

17 hours ago, Voss said:

7. Bring crafting back. ex: long range arrows take 1 eagle feathers, this could be whatever but would make grinding hunting more fun and would be the infancy of a commerce system.

The rewards from hunting do need to be tweaked to provide more than just meat and skins which are converted into cash.  Whether or not that means adding addtional craftable items to the already extensive list of in-game items or not, I'm not certain, but it should definitely be examined in order to bolster the rewards derived from hunting.

17 hours ago, Voss said:

8. Rare animals (don't over populate this (could even have an ability card that would help), but something for the folks that like to hunt/grind). Maybe their is a crafting element to this as well as rare animals can make/improve x item.

I'd prefer to see these hunts instanced--much like current missions are.  Reason being, the last thing we need is groups spawn camping for legendary or rare animals as a form of trolling.

17 hours ago, Voss said:

9. Incremental/small upgrades to weapons and accessories. This should have a high cost per item, but once you reach level 90ish there is no reason for money or XP.

Without level banding for Showdown series, PvP matchmaking, or Free Roam, my biggest concern would be making players further along in their progression even more OP than the low level players they're preying upon.  I've already been shot with dynamite arrows in Free Roam when I'm only at about level 15 or 16, just because someone felt like being a Delta Bravo.  Now you want to give them the access to even MORE power?  It's a nice thought, and in an environment where folks weren't targeted for being alone or just for having a lower level, I'd be fine with this, but chasing off new players who can't defend themselves in the immediate aftermath of being headshot from half a mile away while fishing just because someone has a beefed up rifle seems.... no bueno.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BropolloCreed79great feedback.

Follow up: 

1. If they can't increase the numbers of players on a session then in my opinion the game is doomed as a multi player experience. There is only so many times you can deliver the same wagon/boat/horse to the same places with a 99% success rate. That's not a game. That's work :) Most of the time we don't even see another player just a few bandits that pretty much just lay down.

2. It's been almost 4 months of "Beta" and they have not added any new missions to my knowledge. This is leads me to think the engine has been hard coded to a point where they are not able to add new mission content easily.

3. The bounty system I proposed would should not encourage griefing at all it should minimize it. If someone griefs you they are put on pause for "60 seconds" (or whatever) and you have the option to pick there body up (only the players has this option). Its up to you if you choose to play it that way. Then it becomes opened up t the world. 

4. I would hope most advanced players are not just out griefing. It's tough to get XP my spending your time doing that. I was skilling some ducks and someone blew up to steal the ducks. That's part of the game and not  griefing.

Overall the world is not really providing a game experience any longer. It has potential, but its trying to cater to everyone and it's ended up with a world that I don't think is fun for anyone.

It's disappointing because they have created a beautiful engine with a lot of potential and maybe it would help a lot if they would release a road map so I would get excited about something and maybe stay involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Voss said:

1. If they can't increase the numbers of players on a session then in my opinion the game is doomed as a multi player experience. There is only so many times you can deliver the same wagon/boat/horse to the same places with a 99% success rate. That's not a game. That's work :) Most of the time we don't even see another player just a few bandits that pretty much just lay down.

I don't know about "doomed", but I can see the need to expand the server maximum for specific functions.  I just wouldn't expect anything that requires that much work on the back end until much further down the line, closer to the actual "launch" (which we have no idea about other than vague innuendos from R*).

3 hours ago, Voss said:

2. It's been almost 4 months of "Beta" and they have not added any new missions to my knowledge. This is leads me to think the engine has been hard coded to a point where they are not able to add new mission content easily.

Personally, I'm not educated enough in coding to be able to parse what is or isn't feasible for R*.  I would expect new missions to be rolled out if/when content updates such as additional story chapters or areas of the map are opened up, but barring that, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything "Earth-Shattering" from them when they "go live".

3 hours ago, Voss said:

3. The bounty system I proposed would should not encourage griefing at all it should minimize it. If someone griefs you they are put on pause for "60 seconds" (or whatever) and you have the option to pick there body up (only the players has this option). Its up to you if you choose to play it that way. Then it becomes opened up t the world. 

What would be the incentive to pick up the body in this instance?  I would think that it opens the player up to being followed/tracked by the griefer until the "pause" runs out.  Reclaiming your dead body needs to have an incentive for the player that was killed, while mitigating the ability of a troll/griefer, otherwise the potential to perpetuate the cycle of killing lower level characters is just repeated until the griefer becomes bored, or the non-PvP enthusiast quits the game.

3 hours ago, Voss said:

4. I would hope most advanced players are not just out griefing. It's tough to get XP my spending your time doing that. I was skilling some ducks and someone blew up to steal the ducks. That's part of the game and not  griefing.

Level is not tied to griefing in my experience, but folks who live for griefing others will power-level just to have an edge and give them any and every advantage to exploit or assist in their grieifing.

3 hours ago, Voss said:

Overall the world is not really providing a game experience any longer. It has potential, but its trying to cater to everyone and it's ended up with a world that I don't think is fun for anyone.

Agreed.  The limited times I've been able to play for more than an hour, I find myself queuing for mission replays more than anything else, but they're "old hat" at this point.

The game needs a "horde mode"--my suggestion would be to call it "Alamo" and role reverse the roles from the final story mission of online, where a team of eight players has to defend the fort from an onslaught of enemies (who the enemies are is immaterial, it could be rival gangs from the story, Pinkertons, or even the undead in an expansion).

Stranger missions fill the gap to a degree, but there need to be the equivalent of Dungeons or Instanced Raids for full 8-player posses, with loot and cosmetics gated behind them.  R* needs to embrace both loot and RPG elements, because as an "old west simulation" it's remarkably droll after a very short amount of time in it's current iteration.

3 hours ago, Voss said:

It's disappointing because they have created a beautiful engine with a lot of potential and maybe it would help a lot if they would release a road map so I would get excited about something and maybe stay involved.

Could not agree more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I don't know about "doomed", but I can see the need to expand the server maximum for specific functions.  I just wouldn't expect anything that requires that much work on the back end until much further down the line, closer to the actual "launch" (which we have no idea about other than vague innuendos from R*).

Personally, I'm not educated enough in coding to be able to parse what is or isn't feasible for R*.  I would expect new missions to be rolled out if/when content updates such as additional story chapters or areas of the map are opened up, but barring that, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything "Earth-Shattering" from them when they "go live".

What would be the incentive to pick up the body in this instance?  I would think that it opens the player up to being followed/tracked by the griefer until the "pause" runs out.  Reclaiming your dead body needs to have an incentive for the player that was killed, while mitigating the ability of a troll/griefer, otherwise the potential to perpetuate the cycle of killing lower level characters is just repeated until the griefer becomes bored, or the non-PvP enthusiast quits the game.

Level is not tied to griefing in my experience, but folks who live for griefing others will power-level just to have an edge and give them any and every advantage to exploit or assist in their grieifing.

Agreed.  The limited times I've been able to play for more than an hour, I find myself queuing for mission replays more than anything else, but they're "old hat" at this point.

The game needs a "horde mode"--my suggestion would be to call it "Alamo" and role reverse the roles from the final story mission of online, where a team of eight players has to defend the fort from an onslaught of enemies (who the enemies are is immaterial, it could be rival gangs from the story, Pinkertons, or even the undead in an expansion).

Stranger missions fill the gap to a degree, but there need to be the equivalent of Dungeons or Instanced Raids for full 8-player posses, with loot and cosmetics gated behind them.  R* needs to embrace both loot and RPG elements, because as an "old west simulation" it's remarkably droll after a very short amount of time in it's current iteration.

Could not agree more.

The bounty enhancement I was proposing would allow the person who was "griefed" to kill the griefer then deliver the corpse to a PO within X minutes for a reward (nothing crazy so its not abused). But this would be optional. You kill the griefer and you they are locked for 60 seconds. You can choose to pick up the body and play or just run away. At least it would add some game play to griefing when it does happen. I would not think this would encourage griefing since they have nothing to gain...only will get  locked out for 60 seconds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Voss said:

The bounty enhancement I was proposing would allow the person who was "griefed" to kill the griefer then deliver the corpse to a PO within X minutes for a reward (nothing crazy so its not abused). But this would be optional. You kill the griefer and you they are locked for 60 seconds. You can choose to pick up the body and play or just run away. At least it would add some game play to griefing when it does happen. I would not think this would encourage griefing since they have nothing to gain...only will get  locked out for 60 seconds.

This could work, but only if the person who killed you couldn't pick up the body or prevent you from getting it to the PO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the person who killed you should be able to still kill whomever they want if they want to try to prevent you from doing something. They are locked for 60 seconds.

That's enough time to get the body and take off. Again it would be a choice....not one that you have to choose :) But would be a really easy interaction to include in the game to add some actual game play.

Similar to the ridiculous player/posse assassination missions. All they need to do is make it worthwhile for the player being targeted to have more to gain if they choose to fight. First one killed gets the XP. If you are the target you can find a good place to setup and wait. One kill and that's it.

The have the engine to build an incredible game and get the feeling either they have a lot of things hardcoded that is preventing them to implement new features that should be pretty straight forward or they are not playing the game themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...