Herbs In New Austin

Dewy1314

Question

So I have been all over new Austin and I have not found a single one of the ones that is exclusive oh, and I am stuck on the herbalist challenge because of it... are there any known spots for the Texas herbs? (black currant for example) 

10 answers to this question

Yes, there are.  I completed my herbalist 9 a few days ago.  To find the missing ones, I just used youtube.  So looking for "RDR blackcurrant location" will give you a video detailing exactly where to find a plant.

17 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

So I have been all over new Austin and I have not found a single one of the ones that is exclusive oh, and I am stuck on the herbalist challenge because of it... are there any known spots for the Texas herbs? (black currant for example) 

North of tumbleweed just above gaptooth ridge.

image.png.2f9395de9f3c5113c43280305c14536c.png

Yeah, that guide was invaluable for the exotics requests.  I saved my Herbalist 9 challenge so that I did the exotics at the same time.  I really didn't want to go looking for orchids twice.  Some of the better youtube videos really zoom into the map to show you exactly where the plants are.

• Thanks 1

I was missing two orchids and blackberries.

You have to get all the orchids.

For me it was a ride to Annesburg near Butcher creek, then up by O'creaghs or whatever and then out to Owajilla lake north of there for both an orchid and blackberries.

This was after I went to New Austin

In New Austin  head down toward Mcfarlanes ranch for that white and yellow fever flower I forget its name, then down to the desert for black currant, and two others, red sage was one and I cant remember the other but they were easy to find once you got down between Armidilla and Tumbleweed 

2 hours ago, lumper said:

I was missing two orchids and blackberries.

You have to get all the orchids.

For me it was a ride to Annesburg near Butcher creek, then up by O'creaghs or whatever and then out to Owajilla lake north of there for both an orchid and blackberries.

This was after I went to New Austin

In New Austin  head down toward Mcfarlanes ranch for that white and yellow fever flower I forget its name, then down to the desert for black currant, and two others, red sage was one and I cant remember the other but they were easy to find once you got down between Armidilla and Tumbleweed 

Forgot about the orchids... Finishing three things simultaneously! That should be a decent percentage jump!

Blackberries I think are more rare than any orchids, they were tough to find, and they look like raspberry plants.

completing multiple challenges at the same time is fun and very satisfying and feels natural while out exploring.

Then again, it took me three play through's to understand the game enough to take this approach, lol.

It kind of annoyed me to start with having to accept the really slow respawn rate for herbs.  Then I learned not to pick them unless I really needed them.

And don't feed them to your horse because you might need them later.  Satchel of the East is great for 99 hays and 99 oatcakes to stop this happening.

That satchel is everything, I got mine in the end of Chapter 2, very beginning of 3, only because I thought you couldnt hunt the Panther until later for some reason, once I realized my mistake I went Panther hunting and completed it quickly and from then on, the game was a joy as far as picking herbs and stuff.
I kept so many gator eggs that at one point I think i had nearly 99, they sell for a couple bucks, those and plumes, I made a ton of cash just selling off the extra stuff I didnt need for Algernon.

I found with so many spread all over the map, I would pick what I needed and spend 4 or 5 days doing other herbs and things and circle back, certain things like Golden Currant, at first this was tough to find, by the end and even now, I Can spot it a mile away and it is everywhere in The Northeast and even around Beechers hope, you need this along with burdock root and yarrow to make miracle tonics, once I realized that I stopped crafting anything else that wanted any of those three herbs and I just over collected them so I could craft dozens of miracle tonics, it takes 6 of each for one tonic, so they can be tough to accumulate,  it really gives you confidence moving forward when you have tons of stock on hand all crafted and ready to go, the bad guys never had a chance, that satchel is key.

I didn't get this Satchel until I was John... Because no matter what I did I could not get a perfect cougar Pelt and I've never found a panther in the entire game! Besides the legendary one... the only thing that could help me back from was the flight feathers... I use the ball almost exclusively and it was getting frustrating using only 10 at a time. It was one of my greatest discoveries that you could hold 40 improved and 40 small game arrows!