Is the wanted system fixed yet?

night253

So, i loved this game but ultimately lost enjoyment and couldn't finish it due to the atrocious wanted system. Mainly the complete absence of stand your ground.

I.E. Random guy talks crap to me on the street. I talk crap back. He pulls out a gun and starts shooting me. I pull out a gun and shoot him in the head. Now I'm wanted for defending myself (sheriffs saw the whole thing go down and still started shooting me).

It's totally immersion breaking. I really don't think  anybody in those times would have batted an eyelash if someone starts trying to murder you in the middle of the street and you defend yourself with lethal force. 

If this was ever resolved I'm going to try returning to it... otherwise... yikes..

Highly doubtful, I'd say.  I believe that the game takes prior actions into account (and the character you play is a known gang member, so...).

However, you do seem to be able to shoot gang members in towns and no one really does anything about it.

But no, I don't see Rockstar changing this.  I'm pretty sure Rockstar won't do anything to the single-player mode except to fix bugs.

I won't deny it's flawed (such as when simply bumping into someone on the street nets you a $10 bounty), but there's little to no chance of Rockstar changing the wanted system. I'd be happy if they'd at least make it so looting the corpse of someone you didn't kill doesn't impact your honor negatively, though.

20 hours ago, night253 said:

I really don't think  anybody in those times would have batted an eyelash if someone starts trying to murder you in the middle of the street and you defend yourself with lethal force. 

Sure they would.  You'd get arrested, taken to what passed as a court trial back then, and depending who had the judge in their pocket you'd win or lose.  Wild west wasn't as unlawful as most people like to think.

The famous shootout at the OK Corral with the Cowboys and Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp, they were all arrested and taken to court.  Court lasted over a month.  Can you imagine going in every week day to hear witnesses from both sides for 30 days?

20 hours ago, night253 said:

Mainly the complete absence of stand your ground.

I.E. Random guy talks crap to me on the street. I talk crap back. He pulls out a gun and starts shooting me. I pull out a gun and shoot him in the head. Now I'm wanted for defending myself (sheriffs saw the whole thing go down and still started shooting me).

Standing your ground doesn't just mean stooping to their level and talking back, and killing them.  It's knowing when and where to stand and fight. 

And just fyi, there was no stand your ground laws back then like we have now.  There wasn't an actual written law in the US until about 2005.  Most states up to that point used the English common law for self defense by reasonable force, so there were different interpretations of that over the years and for the various situations.  The laws in 2005 didn't change that much either.  The English law and the laws in the states used now say you're legal to stand your ground and use deadly force when warranted as long as you're not breaking the law during the act.

So you guys argue, he shoots you shoot, you live he dies, yep you should go to jail until you're cleared for self defense, if that's what it was.  The people in the game aren't stupid, they did a great job with the AI in this game.  Townsfolk and lawmen remember you, you have a run in before in town, maybe accidentally shot someone when trying to greet them, and then this happens (tossing examples out there).  not broken that i see. 

You can make them forget you by changing your full outfit, your saddle, and your horse before going back into that town.  Or wait a few in-game days and they'll forget, 3 or 4 days i think it was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cliffs said:

OJ Simpson case was for 134 days

yeah but that was including the recess times, and after that the victim's families sued OJ, that court hearing lasted half as long as the criminal trial fubar and found him guilty in both counts.  

Correction on the OK Corral trial, it was the preliminary hearing that lasted 30 days straight, it never went to trial.

• Like 1

Starting a fight and then ending up wanted for killing a guy is quite normal, you have to learn to co exist with people,

Sure sometimes you accidentally bump into a guy and it starts a chain reaction that ends up with you being wanted, but misunderstandings happened and happen all the time.

The thing is you have to run, and avoid, more than just "stand your ground" and fight over every detail.

There is an old saying, you have to chose your battles, so chose them wisely.

I do agree with you however.

For example, you accidentally bump someone, and it escalates, you should be able to de-esclate things just as easily, I think npc's react a little too violently considering how easily you can get a wanted level, it does seem a bit skewed at times.

There could be more fist fighting to settle disputes and less random shootings that end bad for you.

It stinks to rush into town to get the mail or something and all of a sudden you have to bail over some silly nonsense, it gets frustrating at times and does seem a bit skewed.