Best horses

James Hickok_1837

Just a thing i would like to know from more exp'ed players since i strated playing rdro in mid february.

Currently i have 3 horses:

1. The one i got from the start (ill sell him after i get the 5 horse achieve)

2. Arabian from lvl 52 i think

and the one i use now - black arbian from lvl 70 i think. Is this the best (fastest) horse to have now or are there better ? I noticed i have almost full "circle" of health and stamina on it. It misses the final bit to be full. Is this a saddle thing ? Im using the special "gator" saddle on it. Should i buy a better saddle for it or is there a better horse out there. 

Need to buy two more horses so maybe some suggestions on which ones should i buy? 

53 minutes ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Just a thing i would like to know from more exp'ed players since i strated playing rdro in mid february.

and the one i use now - black arbian from lvl 70 i think. Is this the best (fastest) horse to have now or are there better ? I noticed i have almost full "circle" of health and stamina on it. It misses the final bit to be full. Is this a saddle thing ? Im using the special "gator" saddle on it. Should i buy a better saddle for it or is there a better horse out there. 

Need to buy two more horses so maybe some suggestions on which ones should i buy? 

Arabians look good on paper but they aren't the best or fastest horse. Might seem like it cuz they are small and the elite handling but there are better. I personally don't care for them because they are scared of their own shadow. And trip a lot, at least from my experience and hearing from others who have them. They are good for racing though.

My personal favorite is the Missouri Foxtrotter. 7 speed, 5 acceleration. The stamina is on par if not better than the Arabian (9/10). Health I believe is 8/10. Chill disposition and fairly brave, about as good if not better than the Turkoman which many will tell you is the best as far as combat. Mine sticks by me and will come to me even though I'm being shot at or she's being shot at (needed my hat while hiding from a sniper behind a rock and he shot her 2-3 times and she was still coming to me, saved my ass). I'm like the Terminator when it comes to assassinations because of the Foxtrotter speed and stamina, no one escapes me. I've been in fire fights and literally shooting around her and she still stays where I left her (she was standing between me and the other guy). Or I've charged people with her and she takes 2-3 direct shotgun blasts and still keeps going. Comes in two coat choices; silver dapple and amber champagne (golden brown).

Turkoman is next best in my opinion although others could argue otherwise. 6 speed, 5 acceleration, 8/10 stamina, 10/10 health. Brave, bigger like a thoroughbred. Very pretty, silver my favorite. From personal experience and what others tell me, the Turkoman likes to kinda wander off sometimes. Three coat choices of silver, gold (looks like mustard tbh), and dark bay (black/brown).

Best saddles are the panther trail and rattlesnake saddles. Panther if you prefer less stamina core drain, rattlesnake if you prefer less health core drain. But you need to be like rank 89-91? I think. Both add 2 speed/acceleration to base stats making the Foxtrotter 9 speed and 7 acceleration, turk 8 and 7.

You test the horse's "bravery" by how close you can get to a predator before it starts to panic. Both Turk and Foxtrotter can get almost right on a predator before it gets antsy.

First pic is the turk. Second is the Foxtrotter (you can see the health and stamina for that one).

There are others that have 7 speed as well: reverse dapple nokota, brindle thoroughbred, ultimate edition thoroughbred.

PS_Messages_20190201_155758.jpg

PS_Messages_20190211_200757.jpg

Edited by Renascent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with Renascent's post albeit I've not yet tried the Turkoman. I got the Red Chestnut Arabian as soon as I could afford it but while it was an upgrade on what you start with its really not as good as the stats suggest because of its temperament and clumsiness in tripping over pebbles.  I was torn between getting a MFT or Turkoman but went with the MFT and it is far and away a better steed (than the Arabian).

Better stamina and health and at least equivalent speed to the Arabian I had but its how it behaves in the critical situations that really set it apart - it can handle packs of wolves and other predator attacks with barely a flinch, it breezes though PvE ambushes & hideouts, and hardly trips or crashes except in rider error. Hell its even had head-ons with mounted O'Driscolls and 'butted them to ground without falling or bucking me. I still intend to get a Turkoman but I'm no longer sure I'll get the Black Arabian I originally picked out as the best horse on paper. 

I didn't think saddles and stirrups affected the circles' size, only the rates of depletion and regeneration? I still have the Alligator saddle which, again I bought as soon as I could afford it. I've not checked for sure but now I have all the stirrups unlocked its possible that the top ones combined with a 'normal' saddle could better its stats but I'm holding off upgrading until I unlock the other special saddles.

My original horse and Arabian didn't count towards the 5 breeds award (guessing because they were both available for free, even though I had to pay for the Arabian). To get the award I'll likely buy cheap horses and then get rid of them since there currently is little need to have multiple horses and the daily stable charge is per horse. Can anyone tell me if you have to own all 5 horses at the same time for the award?

• Like 1

Everything @Renascent said.

By bug or design there is very, very little peformance difference between the top tier horses.

Arabian: If it was a car it would be of the racing variety. Best brakes/steering/acceleration though not quite best top speed. Have not noticed it being nearly as much of a pussy as it is in SP yet....

Turk: Big, bolshy and slightly edgy feeling character, Doesn't feel fast but is. Is either deaf or does not give a stuff re explosions in her near vicinity.

Trotter: Most similar to the Turk to ride but without the slight "attitude" that horse has plus a tiny bit extra speed and 10% extra cuteness over both 🤩.

Edited by Traks1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Totally agree with Renascent's post albeit I've not yet tried the Turkoman. I got the Red Chestnut Arabian as soon as I could afford it but while it was an upgrade on what you start with its really not as good as the stats suggest because of its temperament and clumsiness in tripping over pebbles.  I was torn between getting a MFT or Turkoman but went with the MFT and it is far and away a better steed (than the Arabian).

Better stamina and health and at least equivalent speed to the Arabian I had but its how it behaves in the critical situations that really set it apart - it can handle packs of wolves and other predator attacks with barely a flinch, it breezes though PvE ambushes & hideouts, and hardly trips or crashes except in rider error. Hell its even had head-ons with mounted O'Driscolls and 'butted them to ground without falling or bucking me. I still intend to get a Turkoman but I'm no longer sure I'll get the Black Arabian I originally picked out as the best horse on paper. 

I didn't think saddles and stirrups affected the circles' size, only the rates of depletion and regeneration? I still have the Alligator saddle which, again I bought as soon as I could afford it. I've not checked for sure but now I have all the stirrups unlocked its possible that the top ones combined with a 'normal' saddle could better its stats but I'm holding off upgrading until I unlock the other special saddles.

My original horse and Arabian didn't count towards the 5 breeds award (guessing because they were both available for free, even though I had to pay for the Arabian). To get the award I'll likely buy cheap horses and then get rid of them since there currently is little need to have multiple horses and the daily stable charge is per horse. Can anyone tell me if you have to own all 5 horses at the same time for the award?

They affect the stamina core and outer ring depletion rate along with health core. Along with adding extra bar or 2 of speed and acceleration to the horse's base stats. I just personally prefer using the special saddles as they look nicer. I'm not sure if you make a regular one of it'd be able to compete with the special saddles.

Also there Foxtrotter has 1 speed more than the Arabian. Arabians are 6/6 for speed and acceleration.

And I think it's not at the same time as I believe I have the achievement and only have 4 stable spaces. Just need 5 different horses.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Renascent said:

They affect the stamina core and outer ring depletion rate along with health core. Along with adding extra bar or 2 of speed and acceleration to the horse's base stats. I just personally prefer using the special saddles as they look nicer. I'm not sure if you make a regular one of it'd be able to compete with the special saddles.

Ah yes I forgot my saddle added a bar to the stamina and health stats - I was only thinking in terms of the % stats each saddle/stirrup offers. I don’t think a regular saddle with the top stirrups can touch the special saddles you unlock at the high rank levels but the alligator one is a bit of a watered down “special”.

16 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Ah yes I forgot my saddle added a bar to the stamina and health stats - I was only thinking in terms of the % stats each saddle/stirrup offers. I don’t think a regular saddle with the top stirrups can touch the special saddles you unlock at the high rank levels but the alligator one is a bit of a watered down “special”.

Thus why it was free for PS4 players as well as the Red Chestnut Arabian. As soon as I was high enough level and could afford it, I ditched my RCA and alligator saddle for a Black Arabian and rattlesnake saddle. I also have a MFT. The MFT I use for regular free roam and the Black Arabian I use for race series. At some point I'll get a Turkoman as well, then I'll just need 2 other random horses to achieve th he award for owning 5 different horses.

There is no BEST horse, it is all situational and personal preference.  I feel the horses in online act a lot different than Story Mode. I loved MFT in story mode. Unfortunately , the ones I got in online were pure thrash. Would crash into everything and run away as soon as I got off it. Everything scared those clumsy fools. Both went to the glue factory . I have 2 Turks (Gold and Silver). Silver one is just dumb, I mean dumb. The Gold one is great but still quirky . I bought a Black Arabian ( really hate this breed) and it surprisingly is a beast. Only cougars make it go nuts. Handles like a dream. But my favorite horse is the Tiger Stripped Bay Mustang. She may not be the fastest but is the one. Doesn't run when scared, doesn't trip over air, fears nothing (actually kicked a bear), honey badger mentality,etc. 

A lot lot of people swear by a certain breed and I used to be that way too. It was Turk or MFT and screw the rest. But I have realized that there are actually better horses for me than those two.  A strong honorable mention would be the Rose Grey Andalusian. The Turks and MFT both perform like the awkward teenager who grew to fast and isn't used to their body yet. At least in my online experience  (have owned 3 Turks/ 2 MFT to date). I also feel the female horses behave much better than males of the same breed. Weird.  But I wouldn't get all hung up on speed,acceleration ,etc. With the Panther saddle, it boost all the breeds plenty. I go with a horse that performs well overall and that you feel most comfortable with. For me it is usually Succubus (Mustang), but some days I take Kill Em All (Black Arabian) out because I love that handling and temperament.  The Turks are brought out less and less these days. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

Thus why it was free for PS4 players as well as the Red Chestnut Arabian. As soon as I was high enough level and could afford it, I ditched my RCA and alligator saddle for a Black Arabian and rattlesnake saddle. I also have a MFT. The MFT I use for regular free roam and the Black Arabian I use for race series. At some point I'll get a Turkoman as well, then I'll just need 2 other random horses to achieve th he award for owning 5 different horses.

Is the Arabian really the best ideal horse for races? I was thinking of getting more serious about them because I do like doing the races for fun even though the payout isn't that great.

And honestly I think as far as best goes, it depends on what you're looking for and how you handle your horse and your perception of things. I'm a precision detail oriented person, so to not trip up I constantly switch between controlling the horse and letting the horse AI do its thing. Sounds like a lot of work but I naturally do that with everything in my life, so works out perfectly for me.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that each individual horse has slight personality differences. As I've had two different Foxtrotters and both performed differently. Lucy, the silver dapple performs like a beast. Roxy, the amber champagne one performed like a scared teenager. Even my apaloosa did better than the amber.

5 minutes ago, Renascent said:

Is the Arabian really the best ideal horse for races? I was thinking of getting more serious about them because I do like doing the races for fun even though the payout isn't that great.

And honestly I think as far as best goes, it depends on what you're looking for and how you handle your horse and your perception of things. I'm a precision detail oriented person, so to not trip up I constantly switch between controlling the horse and letting the horse AI do its thing. Sounds like a lot of work but I naturally do that with everything in my life, so works out perfectly for me.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that each individual horse has slight personality differences. As I've had two different Foxtrotters and both performed differently. Lucy, the silver dapple performs like a beast. Roxy, the amber champagne one performed like a scared teenager. Even my apaloosa did better than the amber.

Honestly it probably doesn't matter what horse you use for the race series. The BA doesn't seem to be faster than anyone else's horse. The probably made it so everyone's horse's stats are the same in the race series, that way newer players will have a chance. I just liked the look of the BA in the race.

17 minutes ago, Renascent said:

Black Arabian and MFT are the best for races. Especially rocking the Panther saddle. You can win with others....but those two increase your chances.  But if you like races , cool. Just don't expect to make a ton of money or XP doing them. 

4 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

Honestly it probably doesn't matter what horse you use for the race series. The BA doesn't seem to be faster than anyone else's horse. The probably made it so everyone's horse's stats are the same in the race series, that way newer players will have a chance. I just liked the look of the BA in the race.

Well in a straight race my Foxtrotter does fine but I feel better handling in open races would do one better by being able to turn and stop/start on a dime.

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

Thus why it was free for PS4 players as well as the Red Chestnut Arabian. As soon as I was high enough level and could afford it, I ditched my RCA and alligator saddle for a Black Arabian and rattlesnake saddle. I also have a MFT. 

Yeah I know and fully intend to ditch the saddle at the earliest opportunity of getting a better one like I did with the Arabian. Unfortunately I didn’t start playing online soon enough to get them free but I could at least get them at lower rank.

Just been checking in the game and the improved version saddles (not specials) combined with the best stirrups do blow the alligator saddle out of the water. 

I got the black Arabian earlier and boy I forgot how mouthy they are lol. Still trips up like a derp, the handling is nice but I still found myself missing my Foxtrotter. Fixed her up with the panther trail saddle. Because of the size it did seem like I was moving faster though. Some scrubs call themselves trying to follow me and I blasted away (had a good 30 minutes worth of pelts on me that I didn't want to risk). I tested the bravery thing and it's still the same. Got ambushed and knocked off, she was freaking out and had to call her a couple times.

I was surprised that the black Arabian has more health than the Foxtrotter.

First image is the black Arabian bonding 4 with panther trail saddle. Second is the Foxtrotter bond 4 with same saddle.

PS_Messages_20190403_221045.jpg

PS_Messages_20190403_221042.jpg

• Like 1

Thank You all for great input  !   Was a good read. 

I do understand that there is no "best" horse same as there is no best weapon and best card setup - it all depends on the situation.

As for the black arabian - i like his "steering" and acceleration. I got some nice results in races on it. Specially in Saint Denis. 

What i dont like about him that he gets scared pretty much always. Snake, gator, shooting, etc. 

Ill Buy the turk and foxtrotter and see how they behave. Then ill delete the 1st arabian and the noob horse to buy another turk and trotter. You got me curious on that character thing. 

4 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Thank You all for great input  !   Was a good read. 

I do understand that there is no "best" horse same as there is no best weapon and best card setup - it all depends on the situation.

As for the black arabian - i like his "steering" and acceleration. I got some nice results in races on it. Specially in Saint Denis. 

What i dont like about him that he gets scared pretty much always. Snake, gator, shooting, etc. 

Ill Buy the turk and foxtrotter and see how they behave. Then ill delete the 1st arabian and the noob horse to buy another turk and trotter. You got me curious on that character thing. 

When hunting I always use my Mustang. I use the Arabian for gun fights and stranger missions. Gunfire doesn't phase her at all.  Throw Turks in to change things up. I might eventually get another MFT at some point but the first 2 left such a bad taste in my mouth I may hold off. I like using certain horses for specific activities. Can I hunt predators with my Arabian? Sure, I just have to be more cautious and not run in like John Rambo. 

Also with players loving to shoot your horse, I like having horses with higher health. Each breed has a certain temperament and I have found each individual horse does too.  My Arabian is surprisingly chill and not very vocal. Maybe I lucked out. Mustang might be a mute because she hardly utters a sound. Turks are both mouthy and antsy. I'm glad not every horse has the same generic temperament. Keeps things interesting. 

I would maybe go back to story mode and buy horses to try them out before wasting money online. You should be sitting on  ton of cash if you beat the game. Just a thought. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Savage_Reaper said:

I would maybe go back to story mode and buy horses to try them out before wasting money online. You should be sitting on  ton of cash if you beat the game. Just a thought. 

Yeah ill do that.  Left the game with 20k $ and a lot of gold bars to sell. In online mode Still need some dollars for few recipes and 2 more ability cards i would like to test  so....      

Good advice !

On 4/3/2019 at 6:20 AM, James Hickok_1837 said:

and the one i use now - black Arabian from lvl 70 i think. Is this the best (fastest) horse to have now or are there better ? I noticed i have almost full "circle" of health and stamina on it. It misses the final bit to be full. Is this a saddle thing ? Im using the special "gator" saddle on it. Should i buy a better saddle for it or is there a better horse out there. 

I have three horses also.

The Chestnut Arabian, a Shire and a Thoroughbred.

I would like to try a Trotter in time when I level up, but I have to say the Thoroughbred is awesome, great stamina, isn't spooked easily, runs fast, and is a good size which is important in a fight.

The Arabian can be trampled easily, my Shire is massive!! if you haven't seen a Shire go check one out, for some stuff it is great.

I am thinking of using him for those races not for speed but for his sheer size, you bump into him, your going down!! lol

But honestly the Thoroughbred for the $140 I think? is the best horse Ive come across so far over all.

Edited by lumper