No PvE DLC?

YodaMan 3D

Yesterday I came across an article online that stated, because of the current situation of RDR2.  That there won't be a DLC for PvE, whether it be for the campaign or online.  Since, I haven't be able to find that article or verify anything to support the story.  

Now being one that doesn't hate one side or the other, curious if this will just be another GTA 5 repeat and them already starting on the next big game.  Recently, I had also read that they was extending the Beta deadline, so really not sure where these stories are being found.  Yet I have seen nothing from Rockstar proving one way or another.  

So if any of you come across either stories and/or proof.  I would appreciate it if you could post the links.

Thanks,

Yoda

I typically post up things that are "official" and forego the rumor news.  .....so if something comes up that I catch, I'll certainly create a thread about it.

Having said that, I hadn't heard any of those particular rumors until I read your post.  Newsbot usually creates and posts articles on the the more popular rumblings though.  Unless a rumor gains traction and/or comes from a source that has proven to be reliable, I don't bother wasting my time with it to be honest.  There are a lot of things people are claiming out there and in some cases, just to get attention.

10 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I typically post up things that are "official" and forego the rumor news.  .....so if something comes up that I catch, I'll certainly create a thread about it.

Having said that, I hadn't heard any of those particular rumors until I read your post.  Newsbot usually creates and posts articles on the the more popular rumblings though.  Unless a rumor gains traction and/or comes from a source that has proven to be reliable, I don't bother wasting my time with it to be honest.  There are a lot of things people are claiming out there and in some cases, just to get attention.

Wasn't sure when I read them, whether it was trolling or some leak some where.  Rockstar has said nothing that I can find.  

It's highly unlikely there will be any story DLC for RDR2. Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to add the Evans repeater to story mode, as opposed to GTA5 that still got DLC weapons and vehicles made available in story mode for a time afterward until the Heists Update (IIRC) where everything suddenly became GTAO exclusive with Rockstar never giving a reason for this sudden change.

8 hours ago, Parzival said:

It's highly unlikely there will be any story DLC for RDR2. Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to add the Evans repeater to story mode, as opposed to GTA5 that still got DLC weapons and vehicles made available in story mode for a time afterward until the Heists Update (IIRC) where everything suddenly became GTAO exclusive with Rockstar never giving a reason for this sudden change.

I read the article from one of the head guys on that.  It was decided that their was no profit in Campaign Mode.  So they invested all their time and money into PvP.  In the gaming industry, some idiot decided that only PvP ( actually griefers who play PvP) will spend money.  Everyone else can go straight to hell.  

2 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

I read the article from one of the head guys on that.  It was decided that their was no profit in Campaign Mode.  So they invested all their time and money into PvP.  In the gaming industry, some idiot decided that only PvP ( actually griefers who play PvP) will spend money.  Everyone else can go straight to hell.  

exactly, i also posted from an article on this earlier.  Rockstar said the GTA5 story mode was really really complete, they see no need to add to it, their focus on GTA has been only GTAO.  I think they'll do the same with RDR2, it's more complete i think than GTA5, being a prequel that leads up to RDR.  Their whole focus will be RDR2 Online, and whatever they're working on for the next game.

I seriously doubt we'll see anything DLC for RDR2 story mode.  the last couple patches they did were solely for Online.

53 minutes ago, Kormath said:

exactly, i also posted from an article on this earlier.  Rockstar said the GTA5 story mode was really really complete, they see no need to add to it, their focus on GTA has been only GTAO.  I think they'll do the same with RDR2, it's more complete i think than GTA5, being a prequel that leads up to RDR.  Their whole focus will be RDR2 Online, and whatever they're working on for the next game.

I seriously doubt we'll see anything DLC for RDR2 story mode.  the last couple patches they did were solely for Online.

I agree, but I also feel RDO will get all of the attention mostly because they are fallowing the same business model as GTA5.  This whole beta has been about adding more and more PvP aspects.  At this point, those who wish to be more supportive to PvE, probably move on.

4 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

I never recall R* or 2K ever saying anything about the SP /campaign aspect of the game not being "profitable".  In fact, they have been huge advocates for SP / campaign components in games while many in the industry have either been scaling them down or ditching them outright from their titles in favor of MP / PvP.

Here's one of the articles from 2017 where Imran Sarwar (from R*) talks about why they never release DLC for GTAV:

No, it was not really a conscious decision, it’s just what happened. We would love to do more single-player add-ons for games in the future. As a company we love single-player more than anything, and believe in it absolutely – for storytelling and a sense of immersion in a world, multiplayer games don’t rival single-player games. With GTA V, the single-player game was absolutely massive and very, very complete. It was three games in one. The next-gen versions took a year of everyone’s time to get right, then the online component had a lot of potential, but to come close to realizing that potential also sucked up a lot of resources. And then there are other games – in particular Red Dead Redemption II. The combination of these three factors means for this game, we did not feel single-player expansions were either possible or necessary, but we may well do them for future projects. At Rockstar, we will always have bandwidth issues because we are perfectionists and to make huge complex games takes a lot of time and resources. Not everything is always possible, but we still love single-player open-world games more than anything. I don’t think you could make a game like GTA V if you did not like single-player games and trying to expand their possibilities! 

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/10/23/exclusive-interview-rockstar-discusses-past-present-and-future-of-grand-theft-auto-online.aspx

Now, whether that means RDR2 will get DLC in the future, if it may in development now, etc., we simply don't know.   

Something else I've also considered is R*s obvious direction in RDO to make this online experience more PvE and solo friendly including their future expansion of the online story and stranger missions.  In a way, the RDO experience is an extension of the story mode.  A way for the player themselves to become part of the RDR2 experience with their own character paving their own way in the same open game world.

IMO, R* has shown a distinct change of tack from GTAO with RDO.  They have shown with  past updates and future plans that they want RDO to be a more friendly environment for players than GTAO.  The Spring Update promises changes to daily challenges and even more anti-griefing measures to help mitigate the indiscriminate killing of other players.  .....and we still don't know what the future holds in the final release and beyond.

They may be taking some cues from the GTAO playbook but RDO is certainly shaping up to be a different animal.

Whether we get DLC for the story mode though, who knows....

37 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I never recall R* or 2K ever saying anything about the SP /campaign aspect of the game not being "profitable".  In fact, they have been huge advocates for SP / campaign components in games while many in the industry have either been scaling them down or ditching them outright from their titles in favor of MP / PvP.

Here's one of the articles from 2017 where Imran Sarwar (from R*) talks about why they never release DLC for GTAV:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/10/23/exclusive-interview-rockstar-discusses-past-present-and-future-of-grand-theft-auto-online.aspx

Now, whether that means RDR2 will get DLC in the future, if it may in development now, etc., we simply don't know.   

Something else I've also considered is R*s obvious direction in RDO to make this online experience more PvE and solo friendly including their future expansion of the online story and stranger missions.  In a way, the RDO experience is an extension of the story mode.  A way for the player themselves to become part of the RDR2 experience with their own character paving their own way in the same open game world.

IMO, R* has shown a distinct change of tack from GTAO with RDO.  They have shown with  past updates and future plans that they want RDO to be a more friendly environment for players than GTAO.  The Spring Update promises changes to daily challenges and even more anti-griefing measures to help mitigate the indiscriminate killing of other players.  .....and we still don't know what the future holds in the final release and beyond.

They may be taking some cues from the GTAO playbook but RDO is certainly shaping up to be a different animal.

Whether we get DLC for the story mode though, who knows....

Rockstar did have something planned in terms of additional single-player content for GTA 5 at one point. “For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas,” Rockstar said in a post on the Rockstar website in 2013.

But that DLC never came to pass. Instead, Rockstar focused its efforts on bringing the game to a new generation of consoles and on Grand Theft Auto Online — a move that certainly worked out for the studio. Grand Theft Auto 5 has since sold more than 80 million copies, so it’s hard to fault Rockstar for its efforts.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/23/16527268/grand-theft-auto-5-single-player-dlc-story-expansion

So pending on how the story is told, it existed.  It was a business decision.  Now I want to say there was one article that claimed all three characters each got a additional story extension.  They said FU to the PvE only players and supported PvP Griefing atmosphere.  It made money!  Everything they seem to say vs what they are doing for RDR2, whether online or campaign.  It is following in the same business model as GTA5.  I would be very happy to be proven wrong, but their actions speak volumes, when there words aren't.

6 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Rockstar did have something planned in terms of additional single-player content for GTA 5 at one point. “For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas,” Rockstar said in a post on the Rockstar website in 2013.

But that DLC never came to pass. Instead, Rockstar focused its efforts on bringing the game to a new generation of consoles and on Grand Theft Auto Online — a move that certainly worked out for the studio. Grand Theft Auto 5 has since sold more than 80 million copies, so it’s hard to fault Rockstar for its efforts.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/23/16527268/grand-theft-auto-5-single-player-dlc-story-expansion

So pending on how the story is told, it existed.  It was a business decision.  Now I want to say there was one article that claimed all three characters each got a additional story extension.  They said FU to the PvE only players and supported PvP Griefing atmosphere.  It made money!  Everything they seem to say vs what they are doing for RDR2, whether online or campaign.  It is following in the same business model as GTA5.  I would be very happy to be proven wrong, but their actions speak volumes, when there words aren't.

I don't think we've ever seen eye to eye on the subject of RDO and this is no different.  I see the same things you are but obviously not in the same light.  .....c 'est la vie.  

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

"It was three games in one."

This line bugged the hell out of me the first time I read it back in '17 and it still bugs the hell out of me today. There's no way in hell the GTA5 protagonists' individual story arcs are enough for it to be considered "three games in one." I mean, first and foremost, Michael's was intertwined with Franklin's so much at the start that it can't even be considered his own. Yeah, Franklin took a backseat and the focus settled on Mike and his family as it progressed, but still. And Frank's and Trevor's arcs were far too short, being less than half the length of GTA4's Episodes from Liberty City. I mean, not counting collectibles and side activities, I think each episode had 25 - 30 missions. I don't think Franklin's arc had even 10 missions, which is light even for a DLC add-on these days. And when Stretch was brought up by Franklin as a "loose end" in the Option C mission after being ignored for practically the entire game, one could be forgiven for not even remembering who he was. I remembered who he was just by virtue of being abnormally attentive to story details, but after all I'd been through in the game by that time, I honestly didn't give a crap whether he lived or died and would have ended the game just as satisfied if he were never mentioned again.