Jump to content

Thoughts on Executive Order 13769?


dIV4r
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I guess Supreme Court passed the travel ban on certain people from certain countries being allowed in the US. While Trump was the one who actually proposed this, the Court was in favor of it and they should be the ones getting criticized right now if people are pissed. I am in the middle on it. I want people to have the freedom to come here but at the same time, with all that ISIS crap that has been going on, I am a bit on the fence about it. I think they should have just done advanced screenings on said people rather than an outright ban but I guess a ban is a lot cheaper for the country. I don't know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in favor of it. This isn't about racism or religion but protection. A majority of these people (though not all of them) are in favor of treating women like absolute dog shit and I am not okay with that. I also have a gay brother and they are okay with killing them for being gay so needless to say, no thanks. If they want to come into this country they need to accept westernized civilization. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2017 at 3:19 PM, liquidfire said:

I am in favor of it. This isn't about racism or religion but protection. A majority of these people (though not all of them) are in favor of treating women like absolute dog shit and I am not okay with that. I also have a gay brother and they are okay with killing them for being gay so needless to say, no thanks. If they want to come into this country they need to accept westernized civilization. 

What about the people who want to be in the US and don't think this stuff is okay? That is hardly fair to them. Why are we punishing everyone over the bad eggs of the bunch? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is that thing he set up to ban everyone from primarily Muslim countries yeah? This is going to bite him in the arse. I actually have some middle eastern friends and one of them told me the other day that he feels like he isn't even welcomed in this country anymore. He is not angry, just disappointed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Hazed0NE said:

This is that thing he set up to ban everyone from primarily Muslim countries yeah? This is going to bite him in the arse. I actually have some middle eastern friends and one of them told me the other day that he feels like he isn't even welcomed in this country anymore. He is not angry, just disappointed. 

Yeah that is the one. I wouldn't worry too much. It likely won't last long. Some people in the government are just being too cautious. I am sure something will be done where it is taken out of effect in 2018. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2017 at 3:07 PM, dIV4r said:

So I guess Supreme Court passed the travel ban on certain people from certain countries being allowed in the US. While Trump was the one who actually proposed this, the Court was in favor of it and they should be the ones getting criticized right now if people are pissed. I am in the middle on it. I want people to have the freedom to come here but at the same time, with all that ISIS crap that has been going on, I am a bit on the fence about it. I think they should have just done advanced screenings on said people rather than an outright ban but I guess a ban is a lot cheaper for the country. I don't know. 

The Court wasn't "in favor of it", per say.  It was simply the removal of restrictions placed on it by lower courts in a majority 7-2 decision.  More specifically, the Court can only interpret the laws, so when it comes to Executive authority, they apply the black-letter law as it is written, which gives the president the authority to engage in such matters.  If you understand how the law works and the way the justice system operates, it should have been no surprise.  They were initially filed in circuits that are routinely overturned by the Supreme Court.

As for context, the original draft was intended to place a temporary ban on the listed Muslim-majority nations until the DHS could implement extreme vetting.  I think the timeline was about 6 or 10 months, but that period has already ended, so regardless of what the SC decided, it would have had no effect on its implementation.  At this point, it seems to be a game of political ping-pong that the Executive branch will most certainly win because the office is bigger than one man.  Just because the President might seem to have some evil ulterior motives does not give the courts authority to muddy the waters concerning laws for national security priorities, laws that every president needs at their disposal given some unforeseen event.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this was already in place and they just made it longer? Or? I don't follow politics. My family always comments on my ignorance but I just have no interest in it. I guess for me, we are screwed either way they just allow us to decide how we get screwed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...