Trader - How to fill fast?

Gillx83

I understand the Trader... it is like the bunker from GTA.  Fill supplies, make stuff, sell stuff.

My problem is, how do I fill the supplies quickly?  I am only level 2 trader, and level 12 in game.  I have just my horse so I only can carry like 2 birds and 1 large animal.   What am I doing wrong, how do I fill the trader faster?  What items do I get?

Thank you,

Gillx83

Also I don't even have the bow and arrow yet --- does that give me btter pelts?  I never played the SP mode, so I donno what that teaches you.  I just started RDO last weekend.

Edited by Kean_1
Combined consecutive posts

So here are some things you can do to help yourself and get set up.

As far as hunting goes:

At first you can use your lasso and a knife, just rope a deer, or any similar size animal and then reel it in and it will give you a "kill" option, this way you get perfect pelts everytime.

You dont need any bullets or guns for this, it takes a little practice but you will get it quickly.

If you really want to focus on feeding Cripps materials then your best bet is dedicate a session to either hunting or collecting and hunting so you do two things at once, if you arent doing the collector too then focus on hunting.

Shoot everything that moves and I mean everything, give Cripps first crack at it and sell the rest to the butcher, it adds up quickly.

Cripps wont take a carcass if you skin it or a bird that you pluck so if they are for him, just stow them.

Now, all you need is a Varmit rifle and Bolt action to hunt, get the fishing pole at level 14 as soon as you can, it will let you earn 75$ every 20 minutes so you can build up some cash.

Now for xp and gold and cash:

Do the story missions in Online, the multiplayer story missions, they pay well especially the first time you do them, and they will give you XP.
Then do stranger missions, the round orange icons on the map,  if you want to grind for a bit to catch up, Spawn into Saint Denis or Tumbleweed then fast travel to Colter.

The reason you need to spawn into the opposite side of the map then fast travel is so when you get there, you will essentially be alone and nobody will bother you while you are grinding.

Once you get to Colter head to Sadie Adlers place, get a mission, then after you do it go to Flaco nearby, for another.

By then, Colter will either be a hideout for you to clear and earn a ton of XP OR there will be a lady out front asking you to rescue her sister, again, lots of xp and money.

Also, Benedict point near Tumble weed gives you simple hunting missions, you can earn well on the wolf one especially as it is close by and easy to do.

You need xp as much as you need cash and gold and materials for the trader.

Cripps isnt going anywhere so dont over focus on that, get yourself leveled up, get your ability cards, etc..

It is going to take some grinding either way.

At your level you have a lot to grind for, Ability cards, weapons, horses, ammo types, etc..

We have all done the grinding early on so, but one way or the other you will need to do it, its fun and easy now though compared to when we did it so just get into your sessions, dont waste a lot of time, get rigth to it.

Also I recommend you play the story mode, it will teach you EVERYTHING and it is important, it is going to be tough with no point of reference you can do it, but it woudl be a lot easier if you played the game first.

I hope this helps some, good luck.

Lump

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

Kill things, skin/pluck, stick as many feathers, furs, teeth laws etc. as you can on your horse/satchel, deliver to camp. You don’t  need to bring full carcasses 

So it is better to just skin gators and drop the big pelt since I only can carry one on my horse?

When do I get a wagon that I can load up?

3 minutes ago, Gillx83 said:

So it is better to just skin gators and drop the big pelt since I only can carry one on my horse?

When do I get a wagon that I can load up?

Yeah take the best gator pelt leave the rest.

Skin everything you get BUT if you are going to give it to Cripps, he wont take skinned carcasses or plucked birds.

so if they are for Cripps, just put the whole animal on your horse and bring it to him, you can carry one carcass and two smaller things on the sides.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gillx83 said:

Is there a excel sheet that tells me what large animals and small animals are best to keep on my horse?  Since like you said, I only can keep 3.

There is, but honestly, just get whatever you get, dont worry about it, they are all around the same.

Best most expensive animals are Panther, cougar, Elk, Moose, Grizzly bear, Black bear, Desert Sheep, Rams, Pronghorns, deer, etc...

Pike are I think 8$ each but you can only carry one, they are right near Valentine though so if you hunt down and back you can do like 20$ every 10 minutes, etc.. lots and lots of videos on youtube to make money in RDR2.

Gators give you big game meat, dont sell it. craft it and add either creeping thyme, oregano or Mint to it and save them, they fill your cores, Bores geese and ducks give you animal fat, you wont need it for a while, but that makes exploding ammo rounds later on.

Game = rabbits, racoons, coyotes, etc.. do your daily challenges, it will teach you where everything is and help you make $$ plus locate new animals while you are learning.

My Colter routine made me over 10k$ very quickly and I leveled up 45 levels in a few weeks.

Also, South of Shady bell at the water you can catch small mouth and large mouth bass, down about a mile at Catfish Jacksons you can catch trout, these all sell for $2. or $2.50 each, and you carry 10 of each, plus you can trample soome and pick those up or use dynamite and carry those too.

In these two places you can do very well very quickly, Shady bell is good but you alwasy end up with others and some are good aome are bad, so its a risk, Colter is 95% yours alone if you fast travel from Tumbleweed or St Denis.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pluck3 said:

easy way is , small animal u can pick up  , feathers , horns / tusks , at some point u can get the hunter wagon to deliver more 

So do I just get 1 big animals then 2 small animals and go back to the crips guy?  Or so I just stay out and grind for teeth and stuff?

5 minutes ago, pluck3 said:

easy way is , small animal u can pick up  , feathers , horns / tusks , at some point u can get the hunter wagon to deliver more 

What he said ^^^

Shoot EVERYTHING, all birds, pluck them all, stow the larger ones, eagles, hawks, owls, and vultures.

Learn where the chickens and cows are.

Shoot every toad every muskrat, and every turtle, if it is alive, it has $$ on it, and you can carry a ton of them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gillx83 said:

Thanks a lot lumper.   I am Gillx83 on PSN if you wanna add.

One last thing.

At level 10 I think you can get an ability card, the Dead eye card I think.

The three that most people use are Slippery Bastard, Paint it black and Slow and Steady.

The rest are either defensive or offensive cards and you get them every 10 levels I think?

Level 40 you get the last one.

So make sure as soon as you are able to, you load one because as you earn xp it will count toward the card and updating it.

The cards start at tier I and go to Tier III, the update cost $350 the first time and take 10,000 xp to go from tier I to II, then I think it is $550 to upgrade them again and you need an additional 15,000 xp so it takes a while.
So as soon as you can start a card, go ahead and  pay the $50 and activate it so while you are leveling up you are also upgrading your cards.

Also, it is very easy to go from level 12 to level 25 as you get higher and higher in levels it takes more XP to level up.
 I am at level 177 and it takes me 10,000 xp to hit the next level, when you are starting out it is closer to 2,400 so 4x as much later on, so during these early levels, grab those cards early as you can.
You will do best if you do story missions first, and you can do them as many times as you want.

Also, if you do the trader role, dont buy materials, do the missions to get them this way you get xp as well as role xp and you need both.

Lastly, something I skipped completely is PVP you can also play pvp modes and they pay cash, gold and xp.

The better you do the more they pay, this will give you a break if you get bored grinding, it will also teach you how to fight with others.

They added free aim pvp servers so if you havent tried that give it a try.
Those are going to be great for new players, dont rely on auto aim, if someone uses slippery it negates it anyway, unless you use PIB but I digress.
The more you can learn about free aim playing the better a player you will be.

PvP will let you learn a lot and keep on earning, some lve it and only play it, others avoid it like the plague and there are many people in between.

Give it a try you may like it, also races, any of the pvp modes pay out all three gold, cash, and xp so its worth a look.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, lumper said:

One last thing.

At level 10 I think you can get an ability card, the Dead eye card I think.

The three that most people use are Slippery Bastard, Paint it black and Slow and Steady.

The rest are either defensive or offensive cards and you get them every 10 levels I think?

Level 40 you get the last one.

So make sure as soon as you are able to, you load one because as you earn xp it will count toward the card and updating it.

The cards start at tier I and go to Tier III, the update cost $350 the first time and take 10,000 xp to go from tier I to II, then I think it is $550 to upgrade them again and you need an additional 15,000 xp so it takes a while.
So as soon as you can start a card, go ahead and  pay the $50 and activate it so while you are leveling up you are also upgrading your cards.

Also, it is very easy to go from level 12 to level 25 as you get higher and higher in levels it takes more XP to level up.
 I am at level 177 and it takes me 10,000 xp to hit the next level, when you are starting out it is closer to 2,400 so 4x as much later on, so during these early levels, grab those cards early as you can.
You will do best if you do story missions first, and you can do them as many times as you want.

Also, if you do the trader role, dont buy materials, do the missions to get them this way you get xp as well as role xp and you need both.

Lastly, something I skipped completely is PVP you can also play pvp modes and they pay cash, gold and xp.

The better you do the more they pay, this will give you a break if you get bored grinding, it will also teach you how to fight with others.

They added free aim pvp servers so if you havent tried that give it a try.
Those are going to be great for new players, dont rely on auto aim, if someone uses slippery it negates it anyway, unless you use PIB but I digress.
The more you can learn about free aim playing the better a player you will be.

PvP will let you learn a lot and keep on earning, some lve it and only play it, others avoid it like the plague and there are many people in between.

Give it a try you may like it, also races, any of the pvp modes pay out all three gold, cash, and xp so its worth a look.

How do I tell what the story missions are in RDO?

What I'm not clear on is whether a complete carcass fills the meter more than just the skin/feathers? Given Cripps won't accept butchered meat or a skinned carcass, does he actually take anything more from an animal himself than just the skin? 

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do more with the trader, its very simplistic and repetitive. I was expecting different goods to have different yields and that there would be a menu of items Cripps can produce like the camp butcher in story mode. Would have given more focus to hunting rather than the same as before - kill everything in sight and bring it to Cripps rather than the butcher and then make a delivery run for the same money regardless of what you hunted. I'm not even convinced I'm making better money than the old way, I'm just doing it the trader way to rank up so I can get the hunting wagon.

2 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

What I'm not clear on is whether a complete carcass fills the meter more than just the skin/feathers? Given Cripps won't accept butchered meat or a skinned carcass, does he actually take anything more from an animal himself than just the skin? 

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do more with the trader, its very simplistic and repetitive. I was expecting different goods to have different yields and that there would be a menu of items Cripps can produce like the camp butcher in story mode. Would have given more focus to hunting rather than the same as before - kill everything in sight and bring it to Cripps rather than the butcher and then make a delivery run for the same money regardless of what you hunted. I'm not even convinced I'm making better money than the old way, I'm just doing it the trader way to rank up so I can get the hunting wagon.

Dont give cripps your feathers you will lose money as he only values 3 star full carcasses the most then the pelt and so on.sell your feathers to the butcher or you will lose money.find it odd myself as i saved all 10 feathers of every bird for this update to find this out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

I'm sure they'll expand on the trading business in future updates. It would be nice to make clothing items like with the trapper in SP.

I would Just find a method that you enjoy and get busy.

As far as our question goes, 

10 hours ago, Gillx83 said:

How do I tell what the story missions are in RDO?

Go to Pause, then Progress, then Story missions.

From there you can select any story mission you want and play them as many times as you want.

Good luck.

Lump