Question about trader

lumper

So, when doing a resupply mission for Cripps, he asks me to go hunt an animal for another trader who will trade for supplies, but everytime I do it, I bring back a wagon of supplies Cripps ALWAYS say's "At least you brought some of it back" implying I didnt get the whole load or something.

He says somethng to this effect everytime.

What can I do different to have him say ok, good job, or good you got all of it?

I have tried making sure the animal I hunt and deliver is 3 star and everything in between, I just dont get why he is disappointed and says I could have gotten more of the supplies somehow.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, lumper said:

So, when doing a resupply mission for Cripps, he asks me to go hunt an animal for another trader who will trade for supplies, but everytime I do it, I bring back a wagon of supplies Cripps ALWAYS say's "At least you brought some of it back" implying I didnt get the whole load or something.

What can I do different to have him say ok, good job, or good you got all of it?

I have tried making sure the animal I hunt and deliver is 3 star and everything in between, I just dont get why he is disappointed and says I could have gotten more of the supplies somehow.

Any thoughts?

I've been wondering the same thing - until now I thought it was because I didn't bring the trader a 3-star animal (I find it hectic enough to FIND the animal in the first place) but now that this DOESN'T seem to be the reason I'm also at a loss to explain it. I've also tried to just steal the wagon before giving anything to the trader but the game won't let you on it/drive it, so that can't be it either. Weird.

1 hour ago, lumper said:

Any thoughts?

Think it might be glitched. Cripps says the same thing to me.. I brought the other trader a 1 star & got 20 material units. Brought him a 2 star & got 20 material units. Brought him a 3 star & still got the same, 20 material units. Other supply runs when I only pick up 1 supply sack gives me 5 material units.

9 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

You sure your materials weren’t already too near full? Bags are 5 units (each if in a posse), wagons are 20. Often I don’t have room for the full 20 so the message says 18 or 10 or whatever to max it out and Cripps reflects this in his speech.

Yeah because this mission only starts when we are halted because he is out of materials, so it doesnt fill the materials meter either way and he is never happy about what I brought.

1 hour ago, lumper said:

Yeah because this mission only starts when we are halted because he is out of materials, so it doesnt fill the materials meter either way and he is never happy about what I brought.

Resupply mission is for supplies, materials are the bonus. You always get 100% supplies from the mission, materials is variable.

Their is one resupply mission that you have to steal a chemical wagon and the more the NPC's shoot at it leaks and you lose materials along the way. 

Whole game is still bugged(at least for me) and It's probably defaulting to the voice over line from that mission.

Cripps personality seems to be that he's a trash talking, demanding SOB.  Couple times I've wanted to put a bullet in his head. Always wants more.

Butchers never give you due respect either, tend to always complain about the one stars never say anything nice about the 3*

3 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Resupply mission is for supplies, materials are the bonus. You always get 100% supplies from the mission, materials is variable.

Not quite sure what you mean, but it doesnt matter, the point is every single time I have to do a material run for him it is either do a hunt and trade it, find a wagon accident and kill the wolves or go steal the supplies.

when I steal them or kill the wolves he is happy and says "good job" or "Thats what I like to see" etc.. but when I do the hunt a bird or pronghorn and trade it for the goods, he always says the same thing, "well, at least you brought back some of them" or "Some are better than nothing I guess" etc..

So I just want to know why that is, I hunt a 3 star animal and deliver it in time to get the wagon load and get it back to my camp, sometimes I dont worry about the timer other times I let it run down to 30 seconds, and either way it doesnt matter, always the same.

11 minutes ago, Dissention said:

Their is one resupply mission that you have to steal a chemical wagon and the more the NPC's shoot at it leaks and you lose materials along the way. 

Whole game is still bugged(at least for me) and It's probably defaulting to the voice over line from that mission.

Cripps personality seems to be that he's a trash talking, demanding SOB.  Couple times I've wanted to put a bullet in his head. Always wants more.

Butchers never give you due respect either, tend to always complain about the one stars never say anything nice about the 3*

Well, I also get him saying, "Ya know, you really did a bang up job on that last thing" or other compliments too but after a resupply where I have to hunt an animal and trade it, he always says the same stuff implying I didnt get all of the available materials back to camp some how, and it is usually a wagon half full of stuff that I am picking up at the trader I bring an animal too.

56 minutes ago, lumper said:

Not quite sure what you mean, but it doesnt matter, the point is every single time I have to do a material run for him it is either do a hunt and trade it, find a wagon accident and kill the wolves or go steal the supplies.

when I steal them or kill the wolves he is happy and says "good job" or "Thats what I like to see" etc.. but when I do the hunt a bird or pronghorn and trade it for the goods, he always says the same thing, "well, at least you brought back some of them" or "Some are better than nothing I guess" etc..

So I just want to know why that is, I hunt a 3 star animal and deliver it in time to get the wagon load and get it back to my camp, sometimes I dont worry about the timer other times I let it run down to 30 seconds, and either way it doesnt matter, always the same.

What I mean, quite simply, is you’re confusing Materials & Supplies. You don’t do MATERIALS resupply missions for Cripps, you do SUPPLIES missions for him. Any materials you get ifrom the mission is an additional bonus.

Read the trader screen - “you need materials and supplies to produce goods”. Materials is the top bar and is filled by donating animals to Cripps. The middle bar is nondescript supplies like tanning fluid - this bar is only ever completely full or completely empty and when it’s empty you have to do a mission or buy supplies to continue making goods. After doing a mission it’s completely full. There is no variability to how much supplies you get from a mission, it’s pass/fail. What can vary is how many bonus materials you get - like the mission where you steal a tanker wagon and the health of the wagon determines how many material units you earn (supplies quantity is unaffected). I say again, wagons give a max 20 materials and bags 5.

So, to the crux of your query and my initial response, if you’ve donated a lot of materials to Cripps recently and the bar is less than 20 units from full then delivering a wagon from the resupply mission will not yield the maximum 20 units of materials and Cripps will reflect that in his comments. On the hunting missions it doesn’t matter whether the animal you drop off is 1* or 3* - you still get a wagon of supplies with 20 materials (if you have room for them).

A full bar of supplies and, as far as I can tell, about half the bar of materials is sufficient for production of 25 goods.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

What I mean, quite simply, is you’re confusing Materials & Supplies. You don’t do MATERIALS resupply missions for Cripps, you do SUPPLIES missions for him. Any materials you get ifrom the mission is an additional bonus.

Read the trader screen - “you need materials and supplies to produce goods”. Materials is the top bar and is filled by donating animals to Cripps. The middle bar is nondescript supplies like tanning fluid - this bar is only ever completely full or completely empty and when it’s empty you have to do a mission or buy supplies to continue making goods. After doing a mission it’s completely full. There is no variability to how much supplies you get from a mission, it’s pass/fail. What can vary is how many bonus materials you get - like the mission where you steal a tanker wagon and the health of the wagon determines how many material units you earn (supplies quantity is unaffected). I say again, wagons give a max 20 materials and bags 5.

So, to the crux of your query and my initial response, if you’ve donated a lot of materials to Cripps recently and the bar is less than 20 units from full then delivering a wagon from the resupply mission will not yield the maximum 20 units of materials and Cripps will reflect that in his comments. On the hunting missions it doesn’t matter whether the animal you drop off is 1* or 3* - you still get a wagon of supplies with 20 materials (if you have room for them).

A full bar of supplies and, as far as I can tell, about half the bar of materials is sufficient for production of 25 goods.

Thanks for the explanation.

to be clear what I was referring too was when Cripps needs materials/supplies, whether they be tanning supplies or whatever, he needs me to go out and get him stuff.

Sometimes as I mentioned above it is to steal them from a train or from a camp, other times it is to find them after a crash and there are wolves to deal with and one in particular mission, when he asks me to hunt an animal and then trade that animal for supplies from a local trader.

It is this mission and only this mission that I am talking about.

Whether that be materials or supplies doesnt really matter as this is a very specific mission, I may have mis spoke by saying materials but I figured after explaining it clearly people would know wht I was talking about.

So, ok once again, and I did this again today, I go hunt a pronghorn, get a 3 star, go to meet the trader to trade him for supplies/materials, whatever, when I get them and bring them back to Cripps, he is disappointed, he says things like, "Oh well, at least you brought back some of it" or something to that affect.

This was the nature of my post, and my question.

What if anything can I do differently that might get a positive response from Cripps instead of him implying I left stuff on the table somehow.

I just feel like I cant do any better than what I am doing.

I even left the guy two animals once, he asked for a Condor, I got him 2, three star Condor's but still when I got bak, Cripps acted like somehow I could have gotten more materials if I did better and I just dont understand why that is.

I hope that clears it up, yes supplies and materials are different things, it really doesnt matter though as this particular missions is the exact mission I am talking about and his reaction.

thanks again for taking the time to clarify.

Lump

Edited by lumper

My original answer to your thread addressed the specifics of your question but following that there appeared to be some confusion about the key difference between materials and supplies so I felt it necessary to elaborate. It doesn’t actually matter what type of resupply mission you are doing as Cripps may come out with this phrase on any mission.

But, regarding hunting missions specifically, as I said before, the quality of the animal you drop off does not matter at all. If he makes that comment and you receive 20 units of materials then it is a bug. If you receive fewer than 20 units then it will be your materials bar was too full to accommodate a full quota, nothing to do with how well you accomplished the mission. 

50 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

My original answer to your thread addressed the specifics of your question but following that there appeared to be some confusion about the key difference between materials and supplies so I felt it necessary to elaborate. It doesn’t actually matter what type of resupply mission you are doing as Cripps may come out with this phrase on any mission.

But, regarding hunting missions specifically, as I said before, the quality of the animal you drop off does not matter at all. If he makes that comment and you receive 20 units of materials then it is a bug. If you receive fewer than 20 units then it will be your materials bar was too full to accommodate a full quota, nothing to do with how well you accomplished the mission. 

Correct.

Now, I wonder if anyone ever gets any other response from Cripps when doing the same mission?

Even if it is in another part of the world.

I keep my camp in Rio Bravo as it is very simple to keep it all going, and I enjoy the simplicity of the missions from that location, but thats not to say if I had my base in Van Horn or Strawberry if when doing a similar mission, (ie: trade a hunted animal for goods from another trader.) if Cripps ever says anything other than, "Well at least you got some of it..."

Eventually Ill try the same thing in another location and find out.

Every time I report anything to R* they want a video and I am just not loving making a video for every little thing so not sure how helpful they will be without an example of it on video.

Yes, if I do that mission and have space enough for the full 20 units of materials he doesn't say "Well at least you got some of it". Even if he ever has if I don't really care what he says if I get credited with the 20 units. I'm more concerned with bugs like the resupply mission craps out on the opening cutscene forcing a restart; resupply succeeds and the supplies bar is full but production is still halted and you have to do another mission; game crashes when I'm metres from delivering 100 goods with a posse buddy on a long delivery.

• 2 weeks later...