Rockstar Launcher to Steam Progress?

redscrew

I don't know if this is an option or not as it stands for games right now or if it will be an option when it comes to RDR2....

If I were to buy the game through the Rockstar Launcher, will I later be able to link the progress to my Steam account? By progress, I mean see everything I have done in the game and show unshockable awards. 

4 hours ago, redscrew said:

I don't know if this is an option or not as it stands for games right now or if it will be an option when it comes to RDR2....

If I were to buy the game through the Rockstar Launcher, will I later be able to link the progress to my Steam account? By progress, I mean see everything I have done in the game and show unshockable awards. 

Not sure, but as a guess I would say no. Let me explain. I purchased Grand Theft Auto 5 on Steam. I then received Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for free in the launcher. If I go to Steam and search for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas in the Steam store, nothing shows and I only have the opition to buy the game. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Coyote said:

Most gaming platforms like this don't allow it but from what I have read, you can do the reverse. You will be able to see all your states from Steam to Rockstar. They just likely won't be handled the other way around. 

I can confirm that once I installed the RockStar Launcher, GTA 5 will alway's default to the launcher for startup. I generally just go in my Steam menu to start GTA 5 as I'm just use to doing it this way. 

One thing that I would like to mention is that anyone who is thinking about waiting for the Steam release will have to wait an extra month. Those who pre-order through the launcher, will only have to wait just over 2 weeks from now. 

Edited by Vendetta

12 hours ago, Vendetta said:

One thing that I would like to mention is that anyone who is thinking about waiting for the Steam release will have to wait an extra month. Those who pre-order through the launcher, will only have to wait just over 2 weeks from now. 

Have you heard anything on the stream preorder deals? Like if they are going to have some or not? I have not been able to find any information on this myself. I would much rather use Steam than go through Rockstar's launcher. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anc1entC0re said:

Have you heard anything on the stream preorder deals? Like if they are going to have some or not? I have not been able to find any information on this myself. I would much rather use Steam than go through Rockstar's launcher. 

I haven't heard anything. I think these's deals are more just so RockStar Games can pull as many people to their launcher as possible. Hopefully, RockStar will give Steam user's some free perks as well. 

• Like 1

As mentioned, it doesn't work this way but it will work in the reverse. This is likely down to privacy issues for players if I had to guess. If you are adamant on tracking and collecting rewards, it would probably be best to just wait until it comes out on Steam. 

I would not expect it to do that. Here is an example of another game.

I bought Grim Dawn off Good Old Games. GOG has a similar achievement system like Steam does. As I play the game, I earn achievements that pop up in the GOG overlay. If I look at the GOG launcher it lists my achievements. I am able to add a non steam game to my steam library. But it's just a short cut added. So I added my GOG version of Grim Dawn to my Steam library. And it's just a short cut. 

I then buy the Steam version of Grim Dawn. That lists right alongside in my library my GOG version of Grim Dawn. But only the Steam version of Grim Dawn lists achievements when viewed in the Steam client.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

Add Non-Steam Games to a Library

How can I add non-Steam games to my Library in Steam?

Important:

This will only add a shortcut to your game in the Steam client. This will not allow you to download updates for your game through Steam, nor allow you to use this game as proof of ownership for your Steam account.

Adding a shortcut to a non-Steam game

1. Launch Steam.
  2. Click the Games menu, choose Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library.
  3. Browse for games on your computer or put a check next to the game(s) you wish to add to the Library.
  4. Click on "Add Selected Programs".

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:19 AM, Vendetta said:

I can confirm that once I installed the RockStar Launcher, GTA 5 will alway's default to the launcher for startup. I generally just go in my Steam menu to start GTA 5 as I'm just use to doing it this way. 

I have had this happen with other games as well so it makes sense for Rockstar to have a priority launch if you have both launchers installed. 

On 10/28/2019 at 6:53 PM, Volt said:

I would not expect it to do that. Here is an example of another game.

I bought Grim Dawn off Good Old Games. GOG has a similar achievement system like Steam does. As I play the game, I earn achievements that pop up in the GOG overlay. If I look at the GOG launcher it lists my achievements. I am able to add a non steam game to my steam library. But it's just a short cut added. So I added my GOG version of Grim Dawn to my Steam library. And it's just a short cut. 

I then buy the Steam version of Grim Dawn. That lists right alongside in my library my GOG version of Grim Dawn. But only the Steam version of Grim Dawn lists achievements when viewed in the Steam client.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

I noticed this as well on a few games myself. I am not bothered by it but I guess for someone who is, it is worth waiting. I don't care too much if my progress only shows on Rockstar's host client.