what causes intermittent freezes?

Trespasser

I was using the default settings and I was getting really bad intermittent freezing. This was at the beginning of the game during the intros. And during the first time you get to control yourself on horseback while following Dutch through the snow. So much so as the game was unplayable. And quit out of the game. But I found a fix! Taken from the link below. I changed my API from Vulcan to DX12. No more intermittent freezing!

CHANGE API

I am 99% sure that the freezes were happening due to the Vulkan API. There was a similar problem in the game World War Z where I would get extremely low frame rates after switching from DirectX to Vulkan. Here is how to change you API:

• Go Settings
  • Click on Graphics
  • Look for the setting that says Graphics API
  • Change it to DirectX 12

https://frondtech.com/freezing-and-stuttering-fix-red-dead-redemption-2-rdr2/

Playing the game a little bit more I experimented switching the API back to Vulcan. To my surprise that worked fine too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Volt said:

I was using the default settings and I was getting really bad intermittent freezing. This was at the beginning of the game during the intros. And during the first time you get to control yourself on horseback while following Dutch through the snow. So much so as the game was unplayable. And quit out of the game. But I found a fix! Taken from the link below. I changed my API from Vulcan to DX12. No more intermittent freezing!

CHANGE API

I am 99% sure that the freezes were happening due to the Vulkan API. There was a similar problem in the game World War Z where I would get extremely low frame rates after switching from DirectX to Vulkan. Here is how to change you API:

• Go Settings
  • Click on Graphics

Playing the game a little bit more I experimented switching the API back to Vulcan. To my surprise that worked fine too. 

I did that DX12 thing and there was a noticeable drop in freezing occurrences, but they still happen although few and far between.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 2:01 PM, Trespasser said:

I did that DX12 thing and there was a noticeable drop in freezing occurrences, but they still happen although few and far between.

The game is not optimized properly for PC, is my best guess. Nothing much that we can do. I for one am getting to point of demanding a refund. I didn't pre-order this game so that I couldn't play it on release day. 

Edited by Vendetta

Thanks @Volt for your contributions these past couple days since the PC launch to try and help people with their various issues as R* works through these teething problems. 

I'm certain those in the community it helps sure appreciate it as do I.

• Like 1

I don't understand why this is an issue for a lot of people. I thankfully didn't run into this but I have had other issues. I tried contacting Rockstar for a few of them but have yet to hear back. I wish I could be of more help here but I think Volt has the easiest solution for the time being. Just be sure to remember you changed this setting when they run an update! 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, Volt said:

CHANGE API

• Go Settings
  • Click on Graphics

So if it works w/ both, then it's logical that there must be another pebble in its shoe imo. I hope RS discovers what it is and fixes it...pronto.

I treid changing the API to DirectX 12 and still the problem continues. My issue is the game is freezing during cutscenes. My drivers are up to date, the NVIDIA Geforce software optimized my settings for the game to all low settings. No reason that I can think of on my end as to why this should be happening. My gaming laptop is running a Intel i5-7300HQ, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1050 TI 4GB. Before I go through the process of requesting a refund, can anyone think of anything that might help? 

I did what was advised online from updating drivers, graphics settings both ingame and via Nvidia, but it seems the freezes are exactly the same length of time (about 5 secs) and it returns to playability always. It can freeze during gameplay or cutscenes. I'm stumped. Anyone? 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, Volt said:

CHANGE API

• Go Settings
  • Click on Graphics

me too, after back & forth i ended up with Vulcan, fullscreen.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:46 AM, Vendetta said:

I treid changing the API to DirectX 12 and still the problem continues. My issue is the game is freezing during cutscenes. My drivers are up to date, the NVIDIA Geforce software optimized my settings for the game to all low settings. No reason that I can think of on my end as to why this should be happening. My gaming laptop is running a Intel i5-7300HQ, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1050 TI 4GB. Before I go through the process of requesting a refund, can anyone think of anything that might help? 

yup, that DX12 switch isn't solving it i'm afraid at least not in my case. Besides if you're on dx12, it'll default to windowed borderless even if you change it to FS. But if you're on Vulkan, it'll stay at FS. I read that fullscreen offers slightly better framerates. 

On 11/9/2019 at 6:14 PM, Trespasser said:

I did what was advised online from updating drivers, graphics settings both ingame and via Nvidia, but it seems the freezes are exactly the same length of time (about 5 secs) and it returns to playability always. It can freeze during gameplay or cutscenes. I'm stumped. Anyone? 

You've got at least one other threads on this topic so I am going to merge the two.