my freinds game still crashs on start up

chan

hes tried to get the game working and tried everything and it still crashes on start up. 2 patches later the game still crashs without even going to the main screen. any suggestions beside the ones rockstar has given. is there a new update coming out that fixs specific hardware related crashes

I would read the discussions in the Pc sub forum that I am moving this thread to.  See if there are any solutions provided by other player that may help your friend.

Also, I would tell him to be persistent with R*.  Try the suggestions they provide but be sure to report back to them on the trouble ticket when they don't work.  They are working on several issues right now and have been releasing hotfixes that have helped some but not others.

I would stay tuned here as we tend to post up any new news that comes our way on updates, etc.  I'd also recommend checking the stickies.

Well, since you clearly say he tried everything made public and so on there's not much other to say or do then to wait for new patches is there? And they will come, it's just released for PC and is still pretty full of bugs. So expect more patches. 

I would however after trying everything and still failing to even launch it, try to look into my own build and even do a fresh OS install just to rule stuff out. I have great backup solutions and a fresh run would only take 2h hours and i'm back. Software conflicts is a thing, even drivers can mess stuff up.

But, what hardware is he using and OS?

Edited by Anteronoid

To get a better idea and understanding of the situation, you have to share his specs and OS as well like @Anteronoid mentioned. There is not much advice we can give you without knowing this stuff. Also, there is no guarantee we can help. It is always get to just report all issues to Rockstar. Tell him to be a pain in the arse if he has to. They will eventually respond. 

On 11/23/2019 at 2:06 PM, chan said:

hes tried to get the game working and tried everything and it still crashes on start up. 2 patches later the game still crashs without even going to the main screen. any suggestions beside the ones rockstar has given. is there a new update coming out that fixs specific hardware related crashes

When I was having this issue, it turned out to be Bitdefender was blocking my game. By going into the Bitdefender menu and giving the game an exception, solved my startup issues. Tell your friend to temporary disable the security software on their PC, then try restarting the game. If that works, an exception for the games exe file will need to be made. 

• Like 1

I mentioned this before I think, if not on here on reddit. What Vendetta suggests is something you should always do first when experiencing launching issues. Whatever your protection software is, you have to make sure you allow the game to run. You'd be surprised at the number of them that could block something like this.

• Like 1

Have you tried this: 

Press the Windows key and type "msconfig" open the menu.On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click disable.Close Task Manager. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

This worked for me after a few days troubleshooting with Rockstar Support. I went back into my Services tab to try to find out which program was causing the issue. It turned out to be Asus Sonic Studio 3. I disabled it upon launch and I close the program before I launch the Rockstar Games Launcher, and I can play the game. I can start Asus Sonic Studio 3 after I Launch the Rockstar Games Launcher and run the game without issue.

I hope this helps!! 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:39 AM, Balto352 said:

Have you tried this: 

Press the Windows key and type "msconfig" open the menu.On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click disable.Close Task Manager. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

This worked for me after a few days troubleshooting with Rockstar Support. I went back into my Services tab to try to find out which program was causing the issue. It turned out to be Asus Sonic Studio 3. I disabled it upon launch and I close the program before I launch the Rockstar Games Launcher, and I can play the game. I can start Asus Sonic Studio 3 after I Launch the Rockstar Games Launcher and run the game without issue.

I hope this helps!! 

Going to make a note of this for anyone having this issue. First time I read about this fix. Seems logical that it would work in a lot of cases. Thanks for sharing it.