The boat should be found at the jetty at Clemens Point (Chapter 3).  I don't think I ever used a boat outside of any story missions. There are some useful animals on the islands offshore from the camp, but you can easily ride your horse across and retain your choice of weapons.

22 minutes ago, Tater said:

... except the boat. Kind of hesitant to buy it now.

Can't blame ya. What good is an object that just sits there and refuses to be used? Bloody expensive piece of decoration, if you ask me

12 minutes ago, harry747 said:

Can't blame ya. What good is an object that just sits there and refuses to be used? Bloody expensive piece of decoration, if you ask me

This leads to another question, but I'll make a new thread to not derail.

5 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

Mount it like a horse - use the same button/key as mounting a nearby horse. That should do it. 

Huh, gotta try that next time. But then the question is, why isn't there a prompt that explains this (assuming it works) at least the first few times? Horses and boats are not exactly the same thing.

There's usually a prompt for the first time you do things during the tutorial-style early story missions, but it's easy just to do as you're told and forget about them afterwards because you're so caught up in the story. 

Basically, it's the same "mount" mechanism for horses, wagons, and boats.  After a while it becomes second nature.

• Thanks 1

Ok, i got it working now. But it still is a big disappointment. I tried to get to the other side of flat iron lake, and suddenly the boat sank for no reason and Arthur drowned.

Also, i tried to use it for fishing in the middle of the lake but that was a flop too. So why spend all that money on a boat? I wish I hadn't.

Yes, the boat would sink there - it's like trying to row across Lake Ontario in a row-boat.  The map only extends so far, so I guess the game will simply kill you if you row too far from shore.  You also can't get to the far shore if you row Eastward from St Annesburg.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, harry747 said:

Ok, but why can't I use the boat to go fishing on flat iron lake like in the new south mission? I tried, but when I select the fishing rod, nothing happens.

Perhaps the fish spawn points are only along the shore and/or they simply don't have a mechanic in this game that allows you to do so.  ......separate animations and so on.

1 hour ago, harry747 said:

You mean if I stay close to the shore I may have better luck? Worth a try...

I mean either that or simply that there is no mechanic in the game for fishing while on the boat which would require different animations, etc.  While you can climb on some, boats aren't really interactive in RDO either except on certain missions.

6 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

@Kean_1 I'm pretty sure that Harry is one of the few people playing solo campaign.

Yeah, sorry....  My reference to RDO was to point out that boats are also limited in online as well.  They simply weren't a focus for R* I guess since they are essentially limited.  ....although I wouldn't be surprised if they added them in new roles and/or purchasable options in the future within RDO.  The bummer about that is that I doubt any of the new mechanics, etc. would be added to the campaign as well if that were the case.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:01 PM, Foxtrot said:

I'm pretty sure that Harry is one of the few people playing solo campaign.

that's right, i don't play online. why? because i refuse to let sony spy on me and what i do with my playstations.

• Haha 1