Real Steal Springfield Model 1888?

I’m sure at least some were fitted with something like a Malcolm scope for those who could afford one... though I doubt many issued rifles were fitted with one, other than maybe a few for sharpshooters...

• Like 1
21 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

I’m sure at least some were fitted with something like a Malcolm scope for those who could afford one... though I doubt many issued rifles were fitted with one, other than maybe a few for sharpshooters...

Thank You. So hard to find information and old photos of these awesome weapons. 

Here's a Sharps with a period scope being shown by Iain McCallum. 

I would imagine a rifle like the Springfield Trapdoor would pose it's own challenges to mount a scope simply by it's design.  However, the following video shows how some of these scopes worked including the recoil action which is interesting. .....which in turn could have possibly cleared the "trap door" to allow reloading.  Either way, I'll wager a lot of these setups were custom involving work by talented gunsmiths like the one mention in this video.  Some sort of offset rig could have also been implemented to allow reloading on a Springfield.

• Like 3

Those weapons are amazing. I would so love to own some of them and im not talking about the vintage ones - a reproduction would be okay. 

Unfortunatelly its very hard to get a weapons permit in my country and its out of the question. We are not allowed to have guns which is stupid imo. Every citizen has a right to protect himself and his family when the time comes - I think the swiss model is a good choice. 

But back to springfield. I have to say that its my No.1 weapon atm. I changed it from bolt action and i was sceptic at first (mostly pvp wise) but i mastered it and its a great powerfull weapon. The thing i like the most is the lowest deadeye cost of all weapons. The diference is huge. When you unload 5 shots from bolt action using dead eye you are almost out of it. Five shots from springfield and you barely even started to use it. Its a huge huge thing. And the sound...... 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 11:40 PM, James Hickok_1837 said:

Unfortunatelly its very hard to get a weapons permit in my country and its out of the question. We are not allowed to have guns which is stupid imo. Every citizen has a right to protect himself and his family when the time comes - I think the swiss model is a good choice. 

America!

On 8/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, The_Liquor said:

This is a ‘64, and it’s a reproduction of I’m not mistaken, but here is how a period scope would have looked...FBC190D1-A7D9-40A4-B4AE-FE67627057F2.jpeg.d8d19b8a69e3b4a6518c4726830b235b.jpeg

I was wondering if the scope length in game for this rifle was correct as it appears to be almost the same as the barrel length. This picture also shows the same so I guess it is. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • 2 weeks later...