11/2/20 RDO Article re: Upcoming UPDATE (More Action!!)

Hi All,

I found this article this weekend and thought I'd share.  Seems legitimate but take it with a grain of salt for now.  I'll keep an eye out for official word from R* om the subject and provide an update.

There is a link to the original article at the bottom of this post but I translated it from German for your convenience.  In either case, looks really interesting given that it may be what a lot of folks have been waiting for.  Read on and feel free to discuss........

Red Dead Online is back for more action for the next update

If the natural scientist role was too relaxed for you, you can look forward to the next update for Red Dead Online: In it, Rockstar is again focusing on more action - as the developer tells us.

from Vali Aschenbrenner, 31.10.2020 8:30 a.m.

In an interview with GameStar, Rockstar Games teased what is currently planned for the future of Red Dead Online.

What's next with Red Dead Online after the naturalist? In an interview, Rockstar Games gave us a preview of the next update and revealed: If the last role was too slow and leisurely, you can look forward to more action and shootings in the best Wild West style.

The future of Red Dead Online is getting more action-packed

In an interview, Design Director Scott Butchard from Rockstar Games revealed that Red Dead Online is focusing more on action again with its next update. For the future of the multiplayer mode of Red Dead Redemption 2 , he promised us the following direction:

"[...] The players won't have to wait too long for a more action-oriented update. In the coming patch, we'll be expanding an existing role, which will provide plenty of action-packed shootouts."

Butchard does not reveal exactly what role this means. However, it is reasonable to assume that the bounty hunter's profession could be expanded in the foreseeable future . After all, this is the role that would be best suited to it alongside collectors, hunters, black markers and naturalists.

How about a new role as a bank robber? GTA-like Heist missions would also go well with Red Dead Online, in our opinion.

No role should be neglected

The other professions of Red Dead Online should not be neglected either: Butchard goes on to explain that the different roles of the multiplayer mode of Red Dead Redemption 2 each cover different areas of interest for good reason in order to cover the different preferences of the players.

And whoever prefers the collector or naturalist, for example, because these professions focus primarily on exploring the game world, should not be neglected in the future either. Butchard describes the feedback from the community as particularly important, which is essential for the upcoming content of Red Dead Online:

"We already have a number of different roles, each one focused on certain aspects of the world such as bounty hunting, trading, discovery and the outdoors, each with its own charm and gameplay. The future of Red Dead Online is here." revolve around the further development of these roles with meaningful play opportunities and possibly the introduction of further professions.

You can definitely look forward to new shootouts and more of what the Wild West is all about. In addition, there is still a lot of potential as we allow players to immerse themselves even more in existing roles. We have an idea of the general direction of the game, and feedback from the community will continue to help us make decisions a lot in the future. "

If you are interested in the five different professions of Red Dead Online - the bounty hunter, collector, trader, bootlegger and naturalist - we provide you with the most important information in the following overview:

Why Rockstar chose the naturalist

Not every gamer has warmed up with the naturalist update: The commissioned work for the two NPCs Harriet and Gus was much less action-heavy than, for example, the bounty hunter or moonshine roles.

After all, almost everything for the naturalist revolved around studying (or killing) the fauna of Red Dead Online , which involved creeping cautiously through the wilderness. Alternatively, you could of course run through the undergrowth like a frightened chicken and fire wildly in all directions with the stun gun - but this tactic is not the most efficient in the long run.

Not every fan was too happy with the naturalist: Sure, there was one or the other shootout with poachers, otherwise the search for the rare legendary animals was actually the biggest and definitely most hectic challenge.

Red Dead Online's naturalist is primarily concerned with protecting the various animal species. However, you are also free to kill your protégés for a chic coat.

Design Director Katie Pica explains what the specific reason for choosing the naturalist as a new role that was added to Red Dead Online in August 2020:

"We have an extensive catalog of content, both with ideas that we have already defined for future updates and with a whole range of options that we continue to refine until we can also implement them. We knew from the start that that we wanted to take up and transport the experience of hunting legendary animals from the single player mode with the naturalist, and that there are ways to expand and deepen this experience for an online world with several players. "

Design Director Scott Butchard also goes into the idea of transferring the hunt for legendary animals in the single player from Red Dead Redemption 2 to Red Dead Online with the naturalist:

"[...] In particular, the hunt for legendary animals was an element [of the single player] that we always liked. We had the feeling that we could expand this aspect and develop it into a full-fledged role, something that was built on Stand on your own two feet and add a new dimension to the world that is rich in content. The new expansion is designed to help make the living, breathing world of Red Dead Online a place to lose yourself in. "

With the different roles for Red Dead Online there should be something for everyone - sooner or later, however, every player should have taken on every job anyway.

Vali Aschenbrenner:
The variety of roles in Red Dead Online is important and right - so there should be something for every type of player in the multiplayer of Red Dead Redemption 2. Since in the end every player takes on all roles sooner or later anyway, Red Dead Online offers more playful variety in the long run.

And even if I can understand the criticism of the naturalist's relatively leisurely pace, this role definitely has its charm: The naturalist unfolds his full fun especially in co-op with several other players. Discussing in voice chat who is photographing an animal and who is stunning it to take tissue samples brings a small but fine tactical component into play. Especially with the legendary animal species, coordination is essential, as these exotic species are particularly nimble or tough.

I also liked the more relaxed pace of the naturalist, as it was one of the great attractions of the single player for me. This made me all the more able to marvel at the detailed game world or the multi-faceted flora and fauna.

So if the naturalist has contributed to the salvation of my soul in the last few months (unless I had to degenerate into a poacher myself, but hey: Gus' coats are pretty chic), I am definitely not averse to an action-packed update. Feel free to give the bounty hunter more to do, rock star - or deliver a completely new role!

Why not, for example, according to a robber-and-gendarme principle? Banks, cattle farmers, and oil refineries are plentiful in Red Dead Online that they could be the linchpin of new roles. Either way: The players lick their fingers for new content.

Bug fixes & detail improvements remain important

The naturalist update not only expanded Red Dead Online with a new profession and the two NPCs Harriet and Gus. For example, there were many small comfort adjustments that were implemented based on feedback from the players , among other things .

For example, since then there has been the option to give wounded animals a coup de grace, while moonshine recipes can be pinned to the blackburn to keep an eye on the ingredients they need. You can get an overview here:

According to Director of Design Production Tarek Hamad, that's not all: In the future, Red Dead Online will have additional comfort improvements and bug fixes that will continue to build on feedback from the community.

There is one important aspect to consider: While bugs and glitches are fixed "as quickly as possible", the so-called quality-of-life features tend to take place in the course of major updates:

"Fixing bugs and glitches is of the utmost importance to the team, and as part of our community support, we make sure that hotfixes go live as soon as possible if problems arise. Quality-of-life features and bug fixes are on everyone's mind Fall will continue to be part of the constant expansion of the world and its contents. "

The last update caused so many problems in Red Dead Online that it had to be withdrawn. Rockstar reacted quickly and released a revised version shortly afterwards.

What exactly the next update for Red Dead Online has in store, to what extent which role will be expanded how much and which comfort improvements Rockstar is currently working on, is currently not known. We will of course keep you up to date on the most important innovations as soon as we find out more.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/red-dead-online-neues-update-mehr-action,3363378.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
24 minutes ago, EjectedCasings said:

I doubt it would be coming this year, given R*'s reputation for their abysmal update cycle.

I read somewhere else that in the investors call they mentioned and update for this fiscal year (2020). 

You could very well be right though because the "fiscal year" end is in March 2021.   For me, I'm a little more interested in hearing what the new gen consoles will bring as far as plans / updates for RDR2/RDO.  If there are enhancements, I'll likely be doing another play through of the campaign.  

Fixing bugs and glitches is of the utmost importance to the team

said the guys who left their game without animals and full of glitches for 1 whole year. 

Meanwhile the game doesn't perform well again after they raised the player count in sessions.

• Like 2

Got nothing against the latest roles, what i have a beef with is that we can only make one avatar in a game designed around roleplay and realistic feel.

With sutch a freedom ofplaystyle as they apperently advertise, there should have been atleast 3 character slots on day 1 whit one additional slot for every new role beeing added to the game.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 9:40 AM, Antonia said:

Fixing bugs and glitches is of the utmost importance to the team

said the guys who left their game without animals and full of glitches for 1 whole year. 

Meanwhile the game doesn't perform well again after they raised the player count in sessions.

Let's not forget how the game ran amazing with empty lobbies after the update before the last one and they had to go and fix that. Yeah R*, cause I'll take a full lobby of trolls over a game functioning properly any day of the week. 

11 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Let's not forget how the game ran amazing with empty lobbies after the update before the last one and they had to go and fix that. Yeah R*, cause I'll take a full lobby of trolls over a game functioning properly any day of the week. 

I'm with you on that. The 1 month the lobbies were 2-4 people the game had its best period of its life

Sound great BUT i came to the point where i DONT BELIEVE R* anymore. 

Where are the properties and train raids, expanded roles that R* spoke of more than a year ago??? Nowhere. The game is buggy and without new content. We have an extensive catalog of content, both with ideas that we have already defined for future updates and with a whole range of options that we continue to refine until we can also implement them.

Really ? Where is that content? What are You waiting for? You killed the game wth the stupid Naturalist role and didnt deliver a true Halloween Event just some horribly wrong designed pvp game. 

You cant rob NPC's, cant rob trains and shops, moonshine bar is still usless, honor system still broken, and so on and so forth.

If the update comes out i will most def try it but till then i just log in to do one daily to keep my 204 day streak going.

And like Kean said i would love to replay the story mode when(or if) the upgrade for next gen consoles hits RDR2. New Games on Xbox series X work like a charm and look soooooo good i cant have enough. 

So yeah time will tell. 

• Like 1