Fair fix to the trolling/griefing

madfretter

The griefing and trolling is a little out of hand , something needs to change to keep everyone happy. An argument could be made that people ambushed,robbed and killed at will in the old west, so we should just deal with it in the game. But when the trolling is literally stopping us from getting to play all the game has to offer, it needs to be limited... There is one exception when comparing the old west to this  game. In the old west, when you killed someone or died, that was it, that was the end of it, they couldn't kill you again, it was over. With this in mind, I think I have a fair solution for everyone.

The basics:

Anyone can be killed, THREE times per  lobby session, after that you have a cease fire and your location dot is removed from the map.

Any killing of another player makes your location dot permanent on the map and forfeits the cease fire for that lobby session.

So if the recently deceased kills someone back, then the cease fire is lifted and killing is fair game for that lobby session, if they do nothing, then they are unable to be killed after their 3rd death.  This way, the only way they can repeatedly kill/troll  you is if you shoot and kill them. This allows people to attack mission runs and  and allows others decide if they want to fight.  So basically this would allow people who want to do nothing but shoot and kill to do so with an entire lobby of 32 people, but not  repeatedly kill  the same people and hunt spawn points/stores unless they fight back. Thoughts?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HooverRAD said:

The only thing that really chaps my ass right now is people wilfully killing my horse. I believe said person should get a bounty, and have to pay the medical bill of the animal. 

The system I'm suggesting would apply to horses as well, so that annoance would be gone.

18 hours ago, HooverRAD said:

The only thing that really chaps my ass right now is people wilfully killing my horse. I believe said person should get a bounty, and have to pay the medical bill of the animal. 

Same man. I really don't get targeted nearly as much as my horse which is really a pain in the ass if you ask me. There should be some kind of horse murder bounty to discourage it. 

I'm quite new to online gaming. Tried a few but being consistently killed before I got to do anything meaningful was a bit boring and frustrating.  This is partly to do with not having time to play enough, and always coming late when the "griefers" are fully kitted out and know the maps/spawn points etc.

However, Rockstar have created such a rich and beautiful world that after playing the story twice, I just wanted more.  Hunting elk on horseback up in the snowy mountains here is probably as close to doing it as I will ever get, and the graphics and detail is just awesome.  So as I could now get in at the beginning I got online.

The first few days (I started on Day 3) were really good.  The vast majority of people were just having fun, but on the whole sociable and happy to co-opt.  Joined a few posse's, did the missions, tried some side stuff, and set about trying to earn £ & exp.  All was going great until a couple of days ago.  SInce then being randomly "Headshot" has started to spoil things a bit.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd hate to deny anyone their right to saddle up and try to massacre everything they come in contact with.  If people want to feed their murderous psychopathic tendencies in such a lovingly rendered universe, then who am I to deny them.  After all it is the Wild West, and it is a shooting game at heart.  Plus, trying to navigate safe passage to a butcher with a horse full of goodies is quite good fun, and so much harder when it real people to avoid.  But for me; the balance is too far skewed if favour of the murderous psychopaths.

Getting a head shot by someone waiting on a roof as soon as you come into view, or as you'rs skinning your latest kill, means I respawn away from my horse, and I lose much of what I had spent time hunting.  There is no "upside", if I'm lucky I can either make a hasty exit if I can get on my horse before I get tracked down, but its no fun really.  I tend to seek immediate revenge, but I'd rather not have to and I'd rather not lose all my hard earned pelts.

For the murderous psychopath, there is little downside unless I am able to get a lucky shot in, which gives me the time for a tactical withdrawal.  He/she is then rewarded with exp, and there is no consequence at all.  If people want to race around the world just picking off people at random, then ok, but that behaviour should come at a cost.  But what?

Good suggestion above, I like that; but I've got another couple of ideas.  I thought perhaps if someone murders a number (1? 5?) players, then their marker could appear red for everyone else, but maybe remove everyone else's markers for the murderer.  That would put them at a major disadvantage for a set period, which would have to be played (no reset on quitting), link that to a Bounty system, temporarily remove safe zone in camp and they'd have to take their medicine.

I also, wondered if the one-shot kill could be removed, so at least you'd have chance to get a shot off.  Its quite easy to hit a headshot and invariably you don't see the first shot coming.

There are many in-game formats available that allow like-minded individuals to massacre each-other willy-nilly, and I like to get stuck in with everyone else.  But I also have the right to play the game as I see fit, and for me that means (on the whole) not murdering every person I see.  And should I choose to walk the dark unrighteous path..I expect there to be a piper to pay.

At the moment the community online seems very positive and I've had more positive than negative experiences, but I think this could disappear.  I think the Parley/feud idea is good, but it doesn't go quite far enough.   One thing that Rockstar could probably do fairly easily is remove the exp benefit for killing people outside of mission, arranged event etc, and introduce a penalty (loss of xp, $, open bounty etc).

Hi Tenti, loved your post, thanks. I'm not new to gaming, but I'm a very casual gamer. Having played since the days of Pong (I remember travelling half the country to see one of the first machines), and having spent far too long in dark rooms playing Defender and Asteroid, I know what we went through to get here, and I am just overwhelmed with the RDR2 world, still, weeks later, with games as John, Arthur, and my online character Esther Pangloss going, I can still get mindlessly lost in the beauty of a ride through the Cumberland Forest, I still get alligator-anxious down in Lemoyne, and I felt great the first time I landed a Channel Catfish, huge it was, so I grunt and heave it on the back of Meg, my trusty Shire, trot off to the butchers in St Denis, big smile on my face, waving (cos it's about all I can emote so far...) and I'm standing at the butchers when I get shot in the head. God I was pissed.

Like yourself, I understand, I like nothing more than getting one over as well, and if I'm in a fight I'll give as good as I get, but just now it's just annoying. More often than not I'll ride away from that if I can, or go into a Race Series (cos I'm better at riding than shooting and we should always play to our strengths)

I would love to see some sort of bounty arrangement beyond the current feud/parley choice to discourage that behaviour, or partition off New Austin with free-for-all rules (which it almost is already, go there at your peril) But at the same time I take the point that it's a wild world, Online adds that danger element which if you don't like, stick to Story mode. My hope is that the headshotters bore quickly, and people with imagination, who love a role-play, who like to race and shoot, who appreciate that this is a toy and a game and not a piece of work, not a grind, is something to be enjoyed, that they stay, people who'll be impressed with such a sweet little old woman landing such a humongous fish...

• Like 1

The simple solution to fix trolling/griefing is private/invite only lobbies and free aim lobbies.     And remove the always on blips.

Its not really more complicated then that.  

I don't want to see R* add all these hurdles and punishments to the game that can be used against players who enjoy defending themselves and fighting back against griefers/trolls.

• Like 2

NIce post Cory286, very much agree with all you say.

HuDawg, its a tricky one, but I don't want a private, partitioned game.  Why should those who want to enjoy all aspects of the game be penalised.  Defending and fighting back shouldn't be penalised, I too like to fight back.  If anyone should have a private/partitioned game it should be those that spoil it for others.

I am no angel at this game and have been known to start the odd gun-battle, which is fine, I just think there should be a consequence and I'd be happy to take the consequence, especially if it improved the overall enjoyment for all.

This isn't GTAV in 1890's America, Rockstar have done so much more with this, and I'd hate to see it go the same way.  There seems to be a different demographic with this game.

1 hour ago, Tenti said:

HuDawg, its a tricky one, but I don't want a private, partitioned game.  Why should those who want to enjoy all aspects of the game be penalised.  Defending and fighting back shouldn't be penalised, I too like to fight back.  If anyone should have a private/partitioned game it should be those that spoil it for others.

Who would be penalized?  GTAV:O has private session options and I suspect RDO will too.

Some folks simply don't want to be exposed to the griefers that frequent public sessions / Free Roam.  They just want more PvE / co-op options to enjoy with their friends.  Those that like to troll will still have their free-for-all mode to harass people in.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

They just want more PvE / co-op options to enjoy with their friends.

Is it asking too much to play the game with friends? 

If I want to place someone on some train tracks and have some fun, there's no shortage of Lemyone, O'Driscoll, or Murfee boys to abscond away with for such a purpose.  Hell, I drop them off train bridges for fun in single player all the time.

But corpse stacking goes a lot quicker if there's someone to help.  Like the old saying goes, "many hands make light work"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Is it asking too much to play the game with friends? 

Exactly.....

I have to wonder why some would even claim it's unfair to allow private / invite sessions.  The only people it would be unfair to are those who are trolling as there would be fewer, vulnerable targets for them to take advantage of.

• Like 3