"Zombie" Horse?

trioceros

Hey! I was recently messing around with some cheats on my Xbox, and while messing about destroying Blackwater, spawned in a racehorse using the "Run! Run! Run!" cheat. Last time I did that I got a Thoroughbred, and it seemed apt since my horse had buggered off and I was surrounded. However, what spawned was something rather different. Studying it showed it was a Blanket Appaloosa, which is already strange since they're classed as "work" horses, not race horses. Nonetheless, the really weird thing was the horse's coat. It looks almost zombie-like, with a dreadlocked mane and tail, and patches of hairless, almost green skin. It seems to act as any other horse, in the sense of building up bonding levels and being stabled: the stablehand didn't seem to have anything unique to say about the horse.

Has anyone else encountered this at all, or have any idea what it might be in relation to?? I've encountered "zombie" humans in the game, so perhaps it's something to do with that? Or it may be something completely different!

50283436_526988634476737_4557667931277754368_n.png

50418375_432701897480441_1610989894258130944_n.png

50543022_1980862982027265_868961163465981952_n.png

1 minute ago, Kormath said:

highly doubt it.  Those people are in the swamps, least as much as I have seen.  Never seen one up north where you find these horses.

True, but the OP said they spawned this horse using the "Run! Run! Run!" race horse cheat, not by exploring the Murfee Brood areas

Just now, Moosh89 said:

True, but the OP said they spawned this horse using the "Run! Run! Run!" race horse cheat, not by exploring the Murfee Brood areas

yes but the location you find the horses in the story mode is in the Murfree Brood area, not the swamps, so they'd have nothing to do with the Nightfolk. 

OP also asks

13 hours ago, trioceros said:

Has anyone else encountered this at all, or have any idea what it might be in relation to?? I've encountered "zombie" humans in the game, so perhaps it's something to do with that?

And the answer was yes, I've seen these horses in Butcher's Creek, the Murfree Brood's town, if you can call it a town.

For online play I have the black thoroughbred from the ultimate edition.  After a long session of travel and fighting and camping and fighting I noticed that my horse was looking a little dirty.  So I hopped off and gave it a good brushing.  I was immediately confused because where normally the horse would have returned to it's normal black and purple sheen there remained a large patch of grey area showing just below the saddle in the stomach, rib cage areas exactly as you have pictured above.  I had never seen this before.  Another brushing did not help.  But then, I noticed the rib cage look to some of it and realized that it had been some time since I had fed him.  I gave him a few carrots and oak cakes and the gray area faded away and was replaced by the black sheen again right before my eyes. I think the look of the Murfree horses is meant to show that they are emaciated from lack of proper feeding. I don't know if feeding them will have the same effect as it did on my own horse, but it might.  

Anyway, I am much more careful about my own horse's feeding routines now.  Poor thing. 

1 hour ago, Madrigalian said:

For online play I have the black thoroughbred from the ultimate edition.  After a long session of travel and fighting and camping and fighting I noticed that my horse was looking a little dirty.  So I hopped off and gave it a good brushing.  I was immediately confused because where normally the horse would have returned to it's normal black and purple sheen there remained a large patch of grey area showing just below the saddle in the stomach, rib cage areas exactly as you have pictured above.  I had never seen this before.  Another brushing did not help.  But then, I noticed the rib cage look to some of it and realized that it had been some time since I had fed him.  I gave him a few carrots and oak cakes and the gray area faded away and was replaced by the black sheen again right before my eyes. I think the look of the Murfree horses is meant to show that they are emaciated from lack of proper feeding. I don't know if feeding them will have the same effect as it did on my own horse, but it might.  

Anyway, I am much more careful about my own horse's feeding routines now.  Poor thing. 

If you notice what appears to be white "foam" around the saddle area and chest, that is actually sweat, particularly if your horse is overworked, such as a long distance of galloping. No doubt lack of feed would increase this if your horse isn't "fit" (perfect condition). The same is true for real horses, I'm always amazed when I see my horse foamed up, so much realism in this game. In game, I'll usually take the saddle off my horse for a bit and brush him, and feed him. I doubt removing the saddle does anything outside of switching horses, but I like to think it feels nicer for him lol

Found this old girl today after a Murfee Brood encounter. I thought it was neat that she was a Tennessee Walker - I guess there's multiple "scabby"coats for each breed. I took her to the stable and named her "Ugly Betty" (Black Betty!)

17ad83c0-200a-11e9-af20-028c71ee0462.jpg

069683c0-200a-11e9-bc0e-025ef306d4e6.jpg