Jump to content

Adding a scope to a bolt action


Jackthestripper
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was going to get a short scope on my bolt action rifle as I see the accuracy improves. Just wondering if that little bit of improvement in the accuracy is only working when I am using the scope? I assume if you're not using the scope that Improvement is not active but wasn't sure. Won't waste my money if that's the case as I wouldn't use the scope with that rifle very often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm...good question.  I have the scope on the bolt and only use it if I'm far enough away from my target where pinpointing the dot on the head is difficult

So....I can't say that the benefit is there without it on  When I purchased the scope, I assumed it would only help for the long distance shots anyway.

Now I'm curious if I'm more accurate without it on, too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xped said:

Hmmm...good question.  I have the scope on the bolt and only use it if I'm far enough away from my target where pinpointing the dot on the head is difficult

So....I can't say that the benefit is there without it on  When I purchased the scope, I assumed it would only help for the long distance shots anyway.

Now I'm curious if I'm more accurate without it on, too!

Well I weaseled my way into convincing my wife to buy the scope on her bolt-action... And the accuracy Improved when she had the scope and did not decrease when she took the scope off so I'm pretty sure that it's worth it. If anything, the target is bigger when you're zoomed in so I think it's worth it and I'm going to buy one. However I should mention, the short scope is $30 in the long scope is $60, but the long scope doesn't give you any additional accuracy so it  would really just be cosmetic. I'm a cheapskate so I will go with the $30 one LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you wont show up on players radar when you head shoot them from behind. basically they wont know you were there due to range. see it all the time with varmint scope casuals. it adds to the issues making people stop playing. the invisible spawning is bad enough but players spamming easy kills spoils the competitive pvp. this why we need hardcore mode to seperate the casual from the frèe aimer. its getting bad from varmint casuals thinking they good to roof campers in choose your weapon a game mode you suppose to move around they camp with 1 point carbine repeater. or capture teams who dont capture but just spawn kill another team whilst someone else wins. its all killing the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, danjou said:

you wont show up on players radar when you head shoot them from behind. basically they wont know you were there due to range. see it all the time with varmint scope casuals. it adds to the issues making people stop playing. the invisible spawning is bad enough but players spamming easy kills spoils the competitive pvp. this why we need hardcore mode to seperate the casual from the frèe aimer. its getting bad from varmint casuals thinking they good to roof campers in choose your weapon a game mode you suppose to move around they camp with 1 point carbine repeater. or capture teams who dont capture but just spawn kill another team whilst someone else wins. its all killing the game. 

Although your points may be valid, I did not want the scope to grief other players. As a matter of fact, I have played King of the Castle 2 or 3 times and that's about it. I really don't play the side games at all, and when I do, I don't camp.  I just like the scope for more accuracy.  I find it helps with hunting and clearing gang hideouts for still targets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2019 at 11:48 AM, Jackthestripper said:

I was going to get a short scope on my bolt action rifle as I see the accuracy improves. Just wondering if that little bit of improvement in the accuracy is only working when I am using the scope? I assume if you're not using the scope that Improvement is not active but wasn't sure. Won't waste my money if that's the case as I wouldn't use the scope with that rifle very often.

Ok, you got me curious so I tried the bolt with and without the scope on it for non sighted in shots.  From what I can tell the accuracy is the pretty much the same, although  it seemed like the accuracy was a little better without the scope on it. Once again, this is for shots with the scope equipped, but not turned on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, madfretter said:

Ok, you got me curious so I tried the bolt with and without the scope on it for non sighted in shots.  From what I can tell the accuracy is the pretty much the same, although  it seemed like the accuracy was a little better without the scope on it. Once again, this is for shots with the scope equipped, but not turned on.

Yeah I think the difference is really slight, like by a hair... But for thirty bucks, at least I have a scope and it actually has come in handy and not a bad upgrade for that price.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...