PS4 Controller

DNMNetTech

Question

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, DNMNetTech said:

Is there any recommendations on a replacement controller for the PS4? Mine doesn't seem to be too responsive and has a dead zone until about 1/4 the way in any direction.

I always use, well, Sony Dualshock 4 controllers.  

• Like 1

It may just be old. It's the original controller. Not sure if the parts wear out but it appears to have some issues. The right stick seems to have a small area that doesn't do anything until I move past that dead point. I am starting to have an issue selecting different weapons. When I try to select the weapon at the 9 o'clock position. I consistently end up with a lasso. Oops. Now Im dead, time for redemption.

1 hour ago, DNMNetTech said:

It may just be old. It's the original controller. Not sure if the parts wear out but it appears to have some issues. The right stick seems to have a small area that doesn't do anything until I move past that dead point. I am starting to have an issue selecting different weapons. When I try to select the weapon at the 9 o'clock position. I consistently end up with a lasso. Oops. Now Im dead, time for redemption.

parts do wear out.  i have to replace my xbox controllers about once a year or 18 months as the bumper buttons (R1/L1) are cheaply made, or i'm just rough on them ;)  i did go and buy one of their custom controllers you design and can have engraved, so far it's lasted almost 2 years (and i probably just jinxed it).

2 hours ago, DNMNetTech said:

They do wear out like most things mechanical although I'm surprised they don;t wear out faster considering just how much use / abuse they go through.  

I still have the original controller for my PS4 when it released 6 years ago.  Still works fine.... I had 2 break on me but due to no fault of the device itself.  One was recent and brand new.  .....my son tried to charge it and was too forceful with the connector which then screwed up the connection(s).  

On 3/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, Kean_1 said:

They do wear out like most things mechanical although I'm surprised they don;t wear out faster considering just how much use / abuse they go through.  

I still have the original controller for my PS4 when it released 6 years ago.  Still works fine.... I had 2 break on me but due to no fault of the device itself.  One was recent and brand new.  .....my son tried to charge it and was too forceful with the connector which then screwed up the connection(s).  

I have had this problem as well.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, DiamondDave said:

What controller are you using exactly? The one that comes with the console doesn't seem to have very many issues so long as you aren't dropping it and throwing it across the room. 

I found that throwing is BETTER for ps 1...instead of snapping them in half; but PS 4  they don't snap as easy but I lost a L1 button against a wall! Now it's my wife's controller !

The other alternatives that are compatible with the PS4 system are fairly expensive for being a controller.

Would recommend using a wired controller just for the latency. Yet, not sure if you play far away from your display or not. 

A controller called "Horipad FPS Plus" is around the same price as the stock version of a PS4 controller. It has the thumb-sticks layout of a Xbox controller though. Also not sure if that's your taste in a controller layout or not.

The PS4 controller aren't very durable as many others claim it to be. In example the L2 and R2 buttons have tiny springs that eventually wear out and become locked in the triggers or interfere while being pressed after heavy use in a short time.

Also, be careful with thumb-sticks on it as well. Not sure if you do this but rolling the stick around and around to sort of warm up you thumbs actually makes the thumb-stick lose it's fluid control. For the reason a metal stick itself underneath the thumb-pad is more designed for moving up and down more than actually going around and around. The pieces supporting that metal stick to be able to go left, right and etc are very small plastic parts and are very complex to have it all connected underneath the thumb-pad to become fixed.

Best thing to do is if you do that sort of thing is to go up and down on the thumb-stick back and forth to have the controls and aiming to have more precision. Circling it around and around just stresses out the metal pin underneath the thumb-pad. 

Or you could use a mouse and keyboard adapter if you're more comfortable with that than anything else. Those are even more expensive and you got to go through loops with connecting to the internet for it work on the console. Sorta not worth the hassle you also have to configure the controls and all that jazz.

Edited by NDX47

1 hour ago, NDX47 said:

The PS4 controller aren't very durable as many others claim it to be.

Perhaps those many others are saying they are durable because, well, they are.  I'm just speaking from personal experience as I'm sure those many others have as well.  

• Thanks 1

Alright, wasn't purposely trying to call out anyone within the forum or accuse anyone of being wrong from personal experience. 

Deeply apologize if anyone was offended by this statement.

Just sharing my own personal experience from opening the controllers up myself in replacing the tiny springs and other components that do fail over time without it being thrown or dropped and figuring out how everything works through the course of the consoles lifetime. 

Do respect your beliefs on this subject.

Probably could've of worded that statement a tad bit more friendly. 

3 minutes ago, NDX47 said:

Alright, wasn't purposely trying to call out anyone within the forum or accuse anyone of being wrong from personal experience. 

Deeply apologize if anyone was offended by this statement.

Just sharing my own personal experience from opening the controllers up myself in replacing the tiny springs and other components that do fail over time without it being thrown or dropped and figuring out how everything works through the course of the consoles lifetime. 

Do respect your beliefs on this subject.

Probably could've of worded that statement a tad bit more friendly. 

I'm not offended but simply calling it as I see it, that's all.  I know some people have problems with them but others also don't.

I remember when there was a big deal some made about the thumbstick rubbers wearing out.  I didn't doubt they had problems with them in their scenarios but I still have an original controller with some minor wear.  ....been used almost daily.  

.....no offense taken though.

You're absolutely right.

Yet, everyone is different therefore everyone will have a different experience with the object in question.

Many variables have a factor on wear and tear as well. Could be a bad batch from the plastic injection or whether its around a humid area to hands adding too much pressure to the buttons.

If it keeps it durability for you and minor group of others that's great. Yet, it won't imply to other folks that happened to become unlucky. 

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.