Is there any reason to outfit Cripps?

lumper

I see all these outfits for cripps, why would I spend any money on Cripps and how he looks? I havent even bought myself any articles of clothing, what am I missing, I dont get why this is even an option, why are we responsible for how he looks and what does it help to dress him up?

I was just looking to see what it was all about and I Cant see any reason that makes sense to spend money on outfits for Cripps.

To be clear I am a noob, so my little tiny bit of money is going for weapons, weapon upgrades, and ability cards, thats about it, what am I missing here?

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

It's the same thing as spending money in GTAO on fancier interior design options, etc.

Ive never played GTA, any of them, but I appreciate the answer, I wonder why they bothered investing the time, energy, art, etc.. for something so gratuitous?

There are so many other things we could use, and things that need attention and tweaking, I cant imagine who made the decision to spend vital resources and time on outfits for Cripps or the option to purchase them.

Did they imagine that at some point we would be so bored, so done with everything else in the game, that we would want to spend some money that we have no other use for on something that offers no return of any kind?

We could use trappers and their outfits, it would be nice to have the ability to greet,, defuse, or escalate like we could in sp as Arthur, but now as our characters in game, everything else on mic, but to let our character interact with other npc's and characters, especially on the road while riding by people, I used to enjoy saying hello to people as they went by,  anyway I can think of several things we could use more of so it is just frustrating to understand why we have Cripps, and the ability to dress him, it just seems absolutely useless, but took a lot of time to develop and that time coudl have been used for many more interesting/important things.

Unless perhaps in the future there will be a purpose and pay off for investing in him, but I doubt it.

P.S. after seeing RDR2 I cant wait to see what they do next whether it be a new gta or something all together new and different, they have my attention, I watch the footage online of gta V and it looks really good, but I can only go forward, not back, so I am not going to try it, Ill wait for he next generation of the game to release at some point if that is the plan, I hear GTA V is like 8 years old and thriving online, hopefully RDR2O will last even longer once it finds it stride.

Edited by lumper

3 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I bought the hobo life camp theme(the cheapest one) just to complete the stupid daily challenge of updating your camp theme, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the reply.

16 minutes ago, lumper said:

Ive never played GTA, any of them, but I appreciate the answer, I wonder why they bothered investing the time, energy, art, etc.. for something so gratuitous?

There are so many other things we could use, and things that need attention and tweaking, I cant imagine who made the decision to spend vital resources and time on outfits for Cripps or the option to purchase them.

I get where you;re coming from but I guess we could also ask why any game company spends so much time aesthetic items in their games but I believe the answer is obvious.  .....it's what folks want.  

You say gratuitous but if such options are popular, isn't that justification enough?  Customization and personalization is a huge draw in a lot of games today.  Just look at how much time folks around here have spent customizing their own characters (including myself) and yet it adds absolutely naught to the functionality of the gameplay.  ....so yeah, quite relevant IMO.

.....and then there's the whole MTX aspect of customization which I'm happy for as it steers devs away from P2W strategies.  The demand for it in games is a good thing IMO.

57 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I get where you;re coming from but I guess we could also ask why any game company spends so much time aesthetic items in their games but I believe the answer is obvious.  .....it's what folks want.  

You say gratuitous but if such options are popular, isn't that justification enough?  Customization and personalization is a huge draw in a lot of games today.  Just look at how much time folks around here have spent customizing their own characters (including myself) and yet it adds absolutely naught to the functionality of the gameplay.  ....so yeah, quite relevant IMO.

.....and then there's the whole MTX aspect of customization which I'm happy for as it steers devs away from P2W strategies.  The demand for it in games is a good thing IMO.

Well, I agree with you on one part of your point, but I have yet to find a single person tell me they like the ability to dress Cripps.

As hard as it is to make money in game it makes no sense to do it, with all the other ways you can dress up the game I think we could have done without this one in particular, but hey, it is just my opinion, to each his own, personally I wont bother as it wont make the game any better for me.

Same reason I wont buy lots of things in game, but I understand their place, I get dressing your character, and your horse, and your camp, but an npc that never talks just sits there playing a harmonica or banjo or whatever.

This is a game that ran out of time, and money after a year delay and huge budget so to think part of that delay was to dress Cripps it just seems counter productive and a waste of resources to me.

If lots of people felt strongly about the ability to dress Cripps up, I am sure R* would have offered it, but again, nobody I have talked to has voiced any such desire yet you can dress him up, I think maybe they had another plan for him and changed it at some point and left the outfits in for us to use in this way. maybe?

Those resources might have been better used elsewhere in the game, IMO.

I think the only ones dressing Cripps are folks who have been playing from the start, they are at a very high level, bored and have a ton of cash they dont need for anything specific so with disposable income comes things like this, another way to spend your money, but given more content and things to do I cant see anyone really feeling strongly about getting a new outfit for Cripps.

Edited by lumper

Well, unless your friends comprise the entire consumer base for this product I would say that is a very specific sample.  ;)

None of us are privy to the gameplay data to see who really takes advantage of these options.   ......R* is though and I'll guarantee you they take this data into account when making their development decisions.  

18 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Well, unless your friends comprise the entire consumer base for this product I would say that is a very specific sample.  ;)

None of us are privy to the gameplay data to see who really takes advantage of these options.   ......R* is though and I'll guarantee you they take this data into account when making their development decisions.  

lol no of course not.

I was just saying the few people ive interacted with, but honestly do you think they polled people on this or just did it?

Either way, even if they felt the fans want to customize as much as possible why then remove the trapper but make ti so you can buy clothes for Cripps?

I just think it is a strange decision is all and ive said every step of the way, it is just my opinion here, thats all.

In my opinion I think their time would have been better spent on other aspects of the game than this one particular thing, unless originally Cripps played a different role or something, who knows.

With the level of detail this game has, you do expect to be able to customize a lot, and maybe people enjoy spending their money on buying Cripps new outfits, I doubt it, but I dont really know.

I cant see a guy who used cash to buy gold then go ahead and use that gold to dress Cripps but again to each his own, I just dont understand it.

Edited by lumper

cosmetics are cool if You are into it. What all shoud really do first is to buy 3 good weapons, and ability cards first and a good horse along the way. After You have ability card sets You can think about other stuff.   Ability cards require a lot of money im lvl 75 and dont have em all yet.  Its just a good advice. spending early dollars for  cosmetics is not a good choice. 

Developing outfits for Cripps doesn't come at the expense of developing game functionality you mention - they would be completely different company resources working on them. And as said above, some people appreciate that level of customisation in a game. I'm not one of them but each to their own. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Developing outfits for Cripps doesn't come at the expense of developing game functionality you mention - they would be completely different company resources working on them. And as said above, some people appreciate that level of customisation in a game. I'm not one of them but each to their own. 

I get that, to each his own, I understand.

Im glad I asked about it, I wasnt aware of how folks felt on this subject and now I have a slightly better understanding of that.