Online Mode Is An Unskilled Broken Mess.

Ghostreaper240

Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Is extremely broken in so many ways. From the toxic community that stabs and shoots you in the back for no reason, losing all your hunting pelts and other materials because of players shooting you or you disconnecting, dying and having all your cores back down after having just used $15 worth of food items, the large amount of players level 300 (figure of speech) having unlocked extremely over powered ammo that is able to over power any new player, and finally the worst thing, spawning, getting locked on and killed instantly. If Rockstar is so desperate to have an auto aim system, at Least make it so that players don't instantly die after walking five feet from spawning from some guy that sits on their ass all day long. It's just so Unskilled to be able to so all this. They not only have auto aim, they also have bloom. A very annoying system that makes no sense. There are just so many things wrong with this game. I know it's a beta, but you as a developer need to get this stuff fixed. It's annoying a lot of players I can see that all over the Internet and it's really stupid. I paid $80 for this game and I expect it to be functioning properly and in a good state. 

P.S. If you as a reader disagrees, let's have a civilized conversation with out saying "your bad at the game" (since you really can't be) or "its just a beta". 

Edited by Ghostreaper240
Issues with spelling.
  • Like 1

You obviously havent seen or met a "toxic community" - trust me. 

Yes You paid money for the game but mainly for the story mode - its not that You are paying monthly to play the online mode. If you get killed by some camper just change server - its that simple. There are spawn campers in every game - even when there is a mechanic for spawns to be safe they wait a little bit away from the spawn point and still get You when you leave the safe spot. 

Its naturall in games like that for players that played for some time and grinded the lvls and cash to get better items/ammo. You want them too? work for them. I dont understand Your logic here im sorry. 

For the cores - You really dont need them to be full at all times. I havent eaten any food for 2nd week now bcoz i want to be underweight. When your cores are red just sit down for w while they will go white again or max em out in camp fire. 

About the D/C's - I know that You dont want to hear that but YES IT'S STILL A BETA and things like that can happen. (Had no problems for some time now until yesterday - was DC'ed a couple of times) 

Seems like You are frustrated with the game. Send You feedback to R*.  If You dont like it stop playing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghostreaper240 said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Is extremely broken in so many ways. From the toxic community that stabs and shoots you in the back for no reason, losing all your hunting pelts and other materials because of players shooting you

That's my major issue with the game. I'm hoping that when the "spring update" comes and the offensive/defensive changes are implemented, the griefers that are killing the regular gamers will be stopped. Until then, I agree with you that it's a broken mess, really only playable in glitched solo/passive lobbies. 

6 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

That's my major issue with the game. I'm hoping that when the "spring update" comes and the offensive/defensive changes are implemented, the griefers that are killing the regular gamers will be stopped. Until then, I agree with you that it's a broken mess, really only playable in glitched solo/passive lobbies. 

Where are those griefers ppl talk about??? For me its Sasquatch of some kind i cant find it !   I play almost every day since feb. Sure there are some ppl sticking a knife in Your neck from time to time while afking ar selling in town but its normal. Dont expect to roam in the wild and nothing happening to You from other players. Expect to happen, anticipate, be ready.  The game is about killing. Killing other players and killing animals. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There are certainly some issues with the game but I don't think its as bad as you make out. You may have just been a bit unlucky with sessions you've joined as, while I've had my run-ins with idiots, I don't feel griefers have made the game unplayable for me. Also, I agree with James, I think I'd struggle to find anyone who didn't feel they'd got their value for money from the story mode, the online is a bonus.

I'm more and more thinking that R* need to implement 2 free-roam option modes. The first is like a passive lobby, or "Westworld" mode I like to call it, where you can auto-aim and kill NPCs but you can't inflict any damage on other players. The other is free-aim altogether or free-aim for pvp and auto-aim only allowed on NPCs. Perhaps the spring update will bring this about anyway in some acceptable form, we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Where are those griefers ppl talk about??? For me its Sasquatch of some kind i cant find it !   I play almost every day since feb. Sure there are some ppl sticking a knife in Your neck from time to time while afking ar selling in town but its normal. Dont expect to roam in the wild and nothing happening to You from other players. Expect to happen, anticipate, be ready.  The game is about killing. Killing other players and killing animals. 

It really boils down to what people define as "griefing". Most people are softies and any shooting they don't "consent" to is considered griefing to them. Hell I got reported the other day for interrupting some posse's mission. They felt that because of my rank that I was griefing them (I'm 181 and they were in the 40s-50s, 3-4 of them). When you got people like that, it's hard to pinpoint what's actually going on because everyone's perspectives is vastly different.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ghostreaper240 said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Is extremely broken in so many ways. From the toxic community that stabs and shoots you in the back for no reason, losing all your hunting pelts and other materials because of players shooting you or you disconnecting, dying and having all your cores back down after having just used $15 worth of food items, the large amount of players level 300 (figure of speech) having unlocked extremely over powered ammo that is able to over power any new player, and finally the worst thing, spawning, getting locked on and killed instantly. If Rockstar is so desperate to have an auto aim system, at Least make it so that players don't instantly die after walking five feet from spawning from some guy that sits on their ass all day long. It's just so Unskilled to be able to so all this. They not only have auto aim, they also have bloom. A very annoying system that makes no sense. There are just so many things wrong with this game. I know it's a beta, but you as a developer need to get this stuff fixed. It's annoying a lot of players I can see that all over the Internet and it's really stupid. I paid $80 for this game and I expect it to be functioning properly and in a good state. 

P.S. If you as a reader disagrees, let's have a civilized conversation with out saying "your bad at the game" (since you really can't be) or "its just a beta". 

I agree with you on several points.

The community at large isnt toxic, although it sure can feel like it some days, I get a lot of

"oh my bad, I am working on my daily challenges" excuses.

But I have gotten a few apologies, and a few people even went out and hunted me pelts to replace what they cost me, and that was great and definitely non toxic, yeah they were jerks to kill me and my horse in the first place, but it is easy to see how SOME people can get caught up in that and get carried away, especially if they were or are playing with friends and having fun, shooting at eachother and just having a crazy spawn in and kill eachother kind of session, now I have never had one of those because I play alone 99% of the time, But I do see people do it all the time, some times I get killed because I wander into a group fighting, albeit sometimes they are 5 feet from the butcher they often just kill me because I am there, BUT there is the occasional super douche, that did target me, at the butcher or when I was fishing, etc.. and they too felt it was harmless because they talked themselves into it , they said, its free roam, I can play it anyway I want,if they dont want me to kil people they wouldnt let me kill people or they certainly woudlnt have daily challenges, etc.. but again, these people need to know you can do your daily challenge kills in pvp you never need to kill anyone in free roam if you dont want too.

I hate being killed when I am hunting and minding my own business, it really irritates me a lot, more than it should, but it is only because I want the game to be great and I like playing it "my way" which is what everyone says, the difference is my way, doesnt hurt you in anyway it doesnt affect you in anyway, in almost every case I was killed by some person in free roam, I had a chance to shoot first, but I never did even when I suspected the worst was coming, I just have a principle about respect and I hate to change that out of frustration.

For every jackass, there are 25 people playing I have never met, and those people are often like me, looking to do their own thing, get leveled up, not bother anyone and they dont want to be bothered by anyone either, now some of them do get messed with and then in turn take it out on others, these guys I really dislike, but I cant blame the whole game, its a small percentage of players and Rockstar for their part could end it all tomorrow if they chose too and I for one hope they do.

The other stuff like disconnects, and bugs, ARG!! im with ya, super frustrating but however late this game is to market it is still in Beta, yeah I know it is a microtransaction disaster at the moment, but it is still a beta and until they apply the Spring update and the fixes we just have to hang in there or bail for a time and come back to it later.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Renascent said:

It really boils down to what people define as "griefing". Most people are softies and any shooting they don't "consent" to is considered griefing to them. Hell I got reported the other day for interrupting some posse's mission. They felt that because of my rank that I was griefing them (I'm 181 and they were in the 40s-50s, 3-4 of them). When you got people like that, it's hard to pinpoint what's actually going on because everyone's perspectives is vastly different.

I figured out that as well bcoz really i havent seen any real griefing in game since i started. I played Lineage 2 (Korean hardcore MMORPG for PC) for a lot of years and when  You got on some clan/ally/party KOS list (kill on sight) there were ppl waiting for You everywhere in the world and killing you constantly over and over again making Your gameplay impossible. They would have PK chars (karma chars for killing only) logged off on multiple locations ready to go when needed and watchers (dead characters logged in on multiaccounts so You can scan most popular areas on 2nd monitor). In more severe cases Your account would be hacked by some russian Mr. Robot and all Your items stolen along with Your character being delvled. 

This is what I consider "griefing".      But as You said it's hard to pinpoint what's actually going on because everyone's perspectives is vastly different.

• Like 1

The Auto Aim combined with Ability cards really does suck the life out of pvp and pve in this game..   Don't think R* was thinking too far ahead when it came to online.

Soon everyone will also have explosive ammo too.

R* started off on the wrong foot..and just kept running.  

This game needs a Hardcore mode.  No ability cards, no auto aim..   

Edited by HuDawg

2 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

See that attitude leads to griefing, you said you dont see griefing then you said "Sure there are some ppl sticking a knife in Your neck from time to time while afking ar selling in town but its normal" 

No, thats not normal, free roam is a place to explore, role play, level up, get your tonics, crafting materials and meats, etc.. play stranger missions, replay story missions, etc.. even posse up and go find other posses that want to fight and have gun fights, sure, but seeing a player not bothering anyone, and going out of your way to shoot them when they arent looking , or sneaking up on them while they fish to kill them is not part of the game, or just how it is, its a choice, and the whole reason we are getting a hostility system.

People can have all the fun they want, but as soon as their fun is ruining other peoples time online and it isnt fun for all parties then it is txic and not fun for the player getting needlessly killed.

Its a matter of treat people the way you want to be treated,  problem is too many people are bored and they actually want confrontation, while other players are newer and do not, they just want to hunt, fish, level up, play missions, etc.. so they can get equipped for the real reason to play this game, the pvp as it gets going more and more, if your playing is upsetting people and costing them time and money by taking their carcasses via shooting them and their horse then its not the way it is supposed to be.

Sure there is something to say about the dangers of being out there alone, but at the same time if you cant go to ANY butcher because people are just hanging around them looking for unsuspecting players then the game starts to just suck, only the people doing the ambushing are having any fun, everyone else gets frustrated or just quits, people are literally being chased off the servers and out of the game over it, so whatever your opinion might be, when your behavior impacts someone else in a negative way its not cool.

Thankfully by mid June I believe we will have the fully implemented hostility system that should all but eliminate this, some people will always chose to play aggressively and so you will have people to kill and ambush, others will chose to play passively and they will be able to go to the butcher without any anxiety over losing their pelts and carcasses.

It is when you see a person coming, you tell them in your mic, hey Im just trying to get to the butcher, can I get in here please? and they act like "sure go ahead" then as you turn your back they shoot you and then run into a mission or another session, these are maybe the most frustrating, and a good example of what we really dont want, I know some players welcome it, now they have something to do and I can totally appreciate that, why cant others appreciate that some went to be left alone and your not a better player because you chose to shoot them in the back and then call in 2 friends to try and spawn kill them for the next 15 minutes, its just lame and sad behavior.

I think its great that R* decided to handle it this way so everyone can find a happy medium, if in fact they do implement it this way.

Stating an opinion about it one way or the other makes no difference at this point, other than to say things are changing and hopefully for the better.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lumper said:

See that attitude leads to griefing, you said you dont see griefing then you said "Sure there are some ppl sticking a knife in Your neck from time to time while afking ar selling in town but its normal" 

No, thats not normal, free roam is a place to explore, role play, level up, get your tonics, crafting materials and meats, etc.. play stranger missions, replay story missions, etc..

It is normal when it comes to Red Dead.  

Just look at single player campaign.  Theres tons of ambushes that happen from NPC gangs.  In online, the players fill that role.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Interesting how some say they never have any problem with griefers...while some people say they have actually stopped playing the game because of them.

I've played this game since it first went online and I have experienced griefing 95% of the time when I'm in free roam (when I play for long lengths of time) unless I play in a glitched solo/passive lobby which I do on a pretty regular basis now.

Just because you say you haven't been griefed does not mean that others haven't been. There are people on this forum board that love this game but even they admit that there is griefing and advise people to "posse or weapon up" to avoid them. 

I guess maybe the way you play the game, you can simply describe it as "the game is about killing."

For me and for some others, "the game is about being a cowboy/cowgirl."

So, yes, that does probably entail having to kill animals--but certainly not people, especially people who want nothing to do with griefers.

One of the reasons I didn't like the offline version is because I felt that, even though I played only a smattering of it, I felt the main character was reprehensible (by the way, as a bit of a response to a poster above, I and some others purchased the game because of the online component, knowing that it would eventually be added to the game). It seems to come as a surprise to some here that the majority of people actually made it thru the Wild West without murdering anyone.

EDIT: Of course, one has to understand the definition of both murder and griefing to understand my point.

Edited by Netnow66
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, lumper said:

No, thats not normal, free roam is a place to explore, role play, level up, get your tonics, crafting materials and meats, etc.. play stranger missions, replay story missions, etc.. even posse up and go find other posses that want to fight and have gun fights.

I disagre with You. 

Online mode generally is NOT a PvE gameplay its PvP - Player versus player. Getting killed by other players is normal in pvp games and beeing killed while skinning or fishing is NOT GRIEFING, its just part of the game. There is nothing stopping You form doing those activities that You mentioned all You have to do is take care of yourself. 

Personally i would be against pve lobbies and would rather see some kind of karma system. 

I remind You that there is still story mode where You can hunt and do whatever You want uninterrupted by other players. I consider it the PVE mode. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

It is normal when it comes to Red Dead.  

Just look at single player campaign.  Theres tons of ambushes that happen from NPC gangs.  In online, the players fill that role.

Nope, if you remember npc's still do ambushes in online, the gang all through the story says things like, we dont steal from regular folk, hard working normal folk, and they are thieves with honor, they steal from people like Leviticus Cornwall not joe shmoe, 

Charles and Arthur especially had a lot of honor when it came to farmers, ranchers, etc..

There is no reason to EVER sneak up on a guy fishing and kill them, none, its not honorable, its not necessary, it gives the killer nothing for it, no reason to do it other than to ruin someone elses time, go ambush npc's if you must, or go to pvp where everyone expects a gun fight, if you are one of the people who are an opportunist, and you just shoot at anyone that you happen to come across then you are part of the problem, you are trying to force others to play with you, to play the way you want too and not letting them play the way they want too, that is the behavior of a spoiled kid acting like a brat, bwahh I want it my way and now im going to shoot you in the back just because I like that yay me!! its poor behavior.

There are so many examples in the story mode where the characters make it clear they dont ambush regular people, good people people they dont know for no reason are off limits

Edited by lumper
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lumper said:

Nope, if you remember npc's still do ambushes in online, the gang all through the story says things like, we dont steal from regular folk, hard working normal folk, and they are thieves with honor, they steal from people like Leviticus Cornwall not joe shmoe, 

Charles and Arthur especially had a lot of honor when it came to farmers, ranchers, etc..

There is no reason to EVER sneak up on a guy fishing and kill them, none, its not honorable, its not necessary, it gives the killer nothing for it, no reason to do it other than to ruin someone elses time, go ambush npc's if you must, or go to pvp where everyone expects a gun fight, if you are one of the people who are an opportunist, and you just shoot at anyone that you happen to come across then you are part of the problem, you are trying to fice others to play with you, to play the way you want too and not letting them play the way they want too, that is the behavior of a spoiled kid acting like a brat, bwahh I want it my way and now im going to shoot you in the back just because I like that yay me!! its poor behavior.

There are so many examples in the story mode where the characters make it clear they dont ambush regular people, good people people they dont know for no reason are off limits

Not all players chose the honorable path. Some choose the dishonorable one. That is why some missions will not kick off if your honor is too high. Nix that thought. I run honorable but never back down.

• Like 1

Just now, lumper said:

Nope, if you remember npc's still do ambushes in online, the gang all through the story says things like, we dont steal from regular folk, hard working normal folk, and they are thieves with honor, they steal from people like Leviticus Cornwall not hoe shmoe, 

There is no reason to EVER sneak up on a guy fishing and kill them, none, its not honorable, its not necessary, it gives the killer nothing for it, no reason to do it other than to ruin someone elses time, go ambush npc's if you must, or go to pvp where everyone expects a gun fight, if you are one of the people who are an opportunist, and you just shoot at anyone that you happen to come across then you are part of the problem, you are trying to fice others to play with you, to play the way you want too and not letting them play the way they want too, that is the behavior of a spoiled kid acting like a brat, bwahh I want it my way and now im going to shoot you in the back just because I like that yay me!! its poor behavior.

Just because one gang may be honorable doesn't mean they all are. Look at the O'Driscolls, the Skinners, the Murphree brood. Not everyone is gonna be a good villain. Again, griefing is all down to perspective. Where as I feel I've only been griefed a handful of times, you and many others consider everything short of looking in your general direction as griefing. I've been randomly killed many times for no reason, griefing? Nope. Just part of the game. It's when they go out of their way to follow you around and across sessions is when I consider it griefing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

Interesting how some say they never have any problem with griefers...while some people say they have actually stopped playing the game because of them.

I've played this game since it first went online and I have experienced griefing 95% of the time when I'm in free roam (when I play for long lengths of time) unless I play in a glitched solo/passive lobby which I do on a pretty regular basis now.

this 

1 hour ago, Renascent said:

Honestly !!! Do you really want to ride around in the WILD West with no chance of hostility?? You wanna run stranger missions without being attacked??  Snoozer !!! Most play the game for for run ins with bandits. Its a fricken outlaw game ! I understand when your outgunned that will happen but please don't turn this in to farm all 2019

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

Honestly !!! Do you really want to ride around in the WILD West with no chance of hostility?? You wanna run stranger missions without being attacked??  Snoozer !!! Most play the game for for run ins with bandits. Its a fricken outlaw game ! I understand when your outgunned that will happen but please don't turn this in to farm all 2019

If I run a stranger mission, I would consider that a "mutual combat' situation. Any problems I encounter when I do that are my problem.

You griefing me when I'm spawning in, fishing or running to the butcher with an animal over my shoulder isn't a mutual combat situation.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lumper said:

NPCS barely ambush in online compared to single player.   Theres only a few areas where they do online.

And online has nothing to do with Dutch..  Even tho Dutch is full of sh*t.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lumper said:

There is no reason to EVER sneak up on a guy fishing and kill them, none, its not honorable, its not necessary, it gives the killer nothing for it, no reason to do it other than to ruin someone elses time, go ambush npc's if you must, or go to pvp where everyone expects a gun fight, if you are one of the people who are an opportunist, and you just shoot at anyone that you happen to come across then you are part of the problem, you are trying to force others to play with you, to play the way you want too and not letting them play the way they want too, that is the behavior of a spoiled kid acting like a brat, bwahh I want it my way and now im going to shoot you in the back just because I like that yay me!! its poor behavior.

You dont seem a reason for this but remember that other player might have a reason. 

IRL for most of us there is no reason for stealing or killing a person BUT there are ppl that have their resons to do it. 

And finally even if You get killed and loose some pelts or a fish the game doesnt punish You for that. You dont loose your guns, you dont loose exp, you dont loose money. You just spawn near the point were you were killed. The pelts or game lost can be farmed fast. Its not that you loose weeks or even months of play upon death like the games i used to play.    Its E-Z.

Anyway im of work now so CYA in game - no more forum for me today. 

Edited by James Hickok_1837

8 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

If I run a stranger mission, I would consider that a "mutual combat' situation. Any problems I encounter when I do that are my problem.

You griefing me when I'm spawning in, fishing or running to the butcher with an animal over my shoulder isn't a mutual combat situation.

So you basically don't want to have to look out for yourself? I mean God forbid that you have to plan a route to the butcher or whatever.

I've only ever been killed twice at the butcher because I'm not dumb enough to just run straight in expecting people to be nice and honorable. It's the wild West, even they were wary back then. Rockstar effectively created that feeling.

Edited by Renascent
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

100% Any one who would SHOOT you at butcher selling your goods is an OUTLAW and should pay for there wrong doings. And they will most times ! Lol

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

NPCS barely ambush in online compared to single player.   Theres only a few areas where they do online.

And online has nothing to do with Dutch..  Even tho Dutch is full of sh*t.

YEA !!! And don't be talking sh$# about Arthur ! Dems fighten words there partner !!! Lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Renascent said:

So you basically don't want to have to look out for yourself? I mean God forbid that you have to plan a route to the butcher or whatever.

I guess the problem we have stems from your apparent belief that I should have to plan a route to a butcher to avoid a griefer.

I don't believe that should be the case.

I guess we'll see what Rockstar comes up with in terms of that when offensive/defensive drops.

In The Road Ahead, Rockstar specifically mentions "cowboys, outlaws and gunslingers." All players are only one of those...but not all three.

Edited by Netnow66

3 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

In The Road Ahead, Rockstar specifically mentions "cowboys, outlaws and gunslingers." All players are only one of those...but not all three.

I guess R* isn't in charge of RD O.

If they where, they would know that statement is 100% bs.   RED DEAD is a cowboy, outlaw, gunslinger game.  Its the entire base concept..

4 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

I guess R* isn't in charge of RD O.

If they where, they would know that statement is 100% bs.   RED DEAD is a cowboy, outlaw, gunslinger game.  Its the entire base concept..

I see Rockstar's base concept is that we all play as cowboys but they acknowledge that every cowboy is not an outlaw or a gunslinger.

25 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

I guess the problem we have stems from your apparent belief that I should have to plan a route to a butcher to avoid a griefer.

I don't believe that should be the case.

I guess we'll see what Rockstar comes up with in terms of that when offensive/defensive drops.

If you didn't want to make plans and use your brain then next time you load up red dead, press L1.

• Haha 3