So I bought a map off a guy in the woods

Dissention

So I was headed North (see long story below) into the woods and sitting on top of  a rock was a guy offering to sell me a map for a couple of bucks. He had one offer and then immediately cut the price in half..so I bought it…

Thinking I might have just got suckered I opened the map and went searching…

When I found the treasure it was a very decent payout, on par, little better gold, with a normal map.  Just wondering if anyone else had this happen before and if they actually found a treasure that was well worth the price or bogus?

The long story.. the other night I had someone sneak up behind me and try to take shots at me thinking I was AFK. Aggravated me so I proceeded to kill them and all the Pinkertons trying to break it up repeatedly for a while, ate dinner, logged back in and someone who was invisible/passive mode started to try to lasso my horse. WTH. First time I couldn't shoot them, second time my horse kept kicking them down, 3rd time I was able to shoot them in the head.   Moral of the story I turned glowing bright red/high hostility …. 

Don't know if the passive mode exploit is back, if this was compensation for having to deal with the BS and..

I should file this under questions and answers.

55 minutes ago, Dissention said:

So I was headed North (see long story below) into the woods and sitting on top of  a rock was a guy offering to sell me a map for a couple of bucks. He had one offer and then immediately cut the price in half..so I bought it…

Thinking I might have just got suckered I opened the map and went searching…

When I found the treasure it was a very decent payout, on par, little better gold, with a normal map.  Just wondering if anyone else had this happen before and if they actually found a treasure that was well worth the price or bogus?

The long story.. the other night I had someone sneak up behind me and try to take shots at me thinking I was AFK. Aggravated me so I proceeded to kill them and all the Pinkertons trying to break it up repeatedly for a while, ate dinner, logged back in and someone who was invisible/passive mode started to try to lasso my horse. WTH. First time I couldn't shoot them, second time my horse kept kicking them down, 3rd time I was able to shoot them in the head.   Moral of the story I turned glowing bright red/high hostility …. 

Don't know if the passive mode exploit is back, if this was compensation for having to deal with the BS and..

I should file this under questions and answers.

I bought a map from a random dude on a hill for $5, led me to a chest with some gold and over $80 in it, as well as a miracle tonic, so yes I have done this and always will again.

Liked your story.  But what is 'AFK', sorry?  I had similar last night - I was skinning a deer, some guy started shooting at me with a rifle from within his own camp, I couldn't shoot him back.  I think he was just messing with me as he was hitting the turf right next to me, never actually hit me.  But still, I'd have shot off his hat or something had I been able.

1 hour ago, SimonTemplar said:

I bought a map from a random dude on a hill for $5, led me to a chest with some gold and over $80 in it, as well as a miracle tonic, so yes I have done this and always will again.

Liked your story.  But what is 'AFK', sorry?  I had similar last night - I was skinning a deer, some guy started shooting at me with a rifle from within his own camp, I couldn't shoot him back.  I think he was just messing with me as he was hitting the turf right next to me, never actually hit me.  But still, I'd have shot off his hat or something had I been able.

AFK ....away from keyboard. 

I don't care anymore I just do what I have to in town and if they want to shoot at me, let them.  99% don't try to grief

25 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

Why buy the map when you can shoot the  guy and take it. LOL!😉

Yeah I thought of that but he went down to  $2.50

10 minutes ago, DNMNetTech said:

Then I would have to kill a few deer and skin them to bring my honor back up. lol :/

Killing one NPC once in a awhile is going to have virtually no effect on your honor. It's only when you kill a bunch in a row that it really starts to drop your honor. You don't even really have to kill the guy. All you have to do is point your gun at him and he'll give it to you and run off. On the other hand $5 isn't much at all, so whatever floats your boat.😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

Killing one NPC once in a awhile is going to have virtually no effect on your honor. It's only when you kill a bunch in a row that it really starts to drop your honor. You don't even really have to kill the guy. All you have to do is point your gun at him and he'll give it to you and run off. On the other hand $5 isn't much at all, so whatever floats your boat.😁

Well.. I figure once I kill one I may as well kill many. It is kind of fun to have the law chase you down once in a while. Besides, I don't see honor really meaning that much to have it max. No real benefit.

Never had the random map offer.  But my honor is usually all the way good, and I have no problem just randomly murdering someone, or even fifteen or so lawmen at one time.  I tried a few times just murdering random wagon drivers I passed on the road but the lockboxes on the wagons were always empty. 

I always just shoot the map people (I've run into several, there's a lady sometimes as well near Valentine) and loot them and take the map. It hasn't affected my (maximum) honor level at all, and even if it were to drop it slightly I'd easily bring it up again by just feeding or brushing my horse. :)

I was just worried that if I shot them there'd be no map to loot, so as $5 is chump change I wouldn't chance it.  Honour is so easy to raise in this game that an honour loss in and of itself is not going to stop me doing what I want.