Debating on getting RDR2 for PC

KVNknowsbest

So I heard about it being released for PC and my first thought was to get it right away. I been thinking it over though and I did completely the story (which was amazing by the way!) and played plenty online as far as the console version goes. So, what would be the point of getting it on PC for me? I was reading over some of what we know about the game thus far and it is no different. There is no real intensive here to convince me it is worth another $60 for the same game.

I didn't get GTA V on console, I actually decided to wait it out for a PC port and they did deliver on that. I did play GTA at a friends though on console and in comparison, the PC version had way more issues with the game. Issues with lag on servers. Issues with hacking and cheating. I mean I got burned out on it fairly quickly after completing the campaign. 

Couple that in with the fact that they never did and DLC and well, I just felt like I would have been better off getting it on console and skipping PC all together. So I mean, I don't know here man. Are there any logical reasons to actually buy the game again?

TLDR; I bought RDR2 for console and loved it but because of how GTA V was handled on PC, I am not sure it is worth buying RDR2 for PC.

I am debating on it for a few different reasons. I brought up the issue of hacking in another thread and it does indeed happen on console as well so I am kind of just hoping it isn't as bad as GTA V was. It is far easier to hack PC games and that can become an annoying problem. 

I feel like at this point, it is most certainly not worth the preorder. I will have to wait and see how online runs and then make my decision from there. 

On 10/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, KVNknowsbest said:

So I heard about it being released for PC and my first thought was to get it right away. I been thinking it over though and I did completely the story (which was amazing by the way!) and played plenty online as far as the console version goes. So, what would be the point of getting it on PC for me? I was reading over some of what we know about the game thus far and it is no different. There is no real intensive here to convince me it is worth another $60 for the same game.

I didn't get GTA V on console, I actually decided to wait it out for a PC port and they did deliver on that. I did play GTA at a friends though on console and in comparison, the PC version had way more issues with the game. Issues with lag on servers. Issues with hacking and cheating. I mean I got burned out on it fairly quickly after completing the campaign. 

Couple that in with the fact that they never did and DLC and well, I just felt like I would have been better off getting it on console and skipping PC all together. So I mean, I don't know here man. Are there any logical reasons to actually buy the game again?

TLDR; I bought RDR2 for console and loved it but because of how GTA V was handled on PC, I am not sure it is worth buying RDR2 for PC.

I guess the question is, what do you expect to get out of the PC version that you couldn't get out of the console version that is worth it to you to buy it again on PC?  

There are obvious graphic advantages and the ability to mod if they allow it.  Hacking will be a problem as it is for many online games on PC but for PC players, this shouldn't be a shock.  

You're not even making a case for the purchase of RDR2 on PC so I'm having a hard time understanding why it's even a dilemma for you to be honest.  

• Like 2

Like Kean mentioned, if you are having trouble deciding and do not see any positives in getting it, you likely shouldn't. 

The biggest reason to me worth getting the game again on PC is down to the graphics and the fact that I did only play the story once. I cane easily play it again and get so much more out of it because I know I missed a lot of details and easter eggs. I am not the type to 100% a game either so I can do all the smaller missions and such I didn't do on console on PC which will lengthen the game for me as well. There is also the fact that most of my friends are PC gamers and will be getting a copy so I will have plenty of people to form a gang with. 

Mods are something as well but I am not counting on that as a reason cause it may be blocked entirely. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, Kean_1 said:

I guess the question is, what do you expect to get out of the PC version that you couldn't get out of the console version that is worth it to you to buy it again on PC?  

There are obvious graphic advantages and the ability to mod if they allow it.  Hacking will be a problem as it is for many online games on PC but for PC players, this shouldn't be a shock.  

You're not even making a case for the purchase of RDR2 on PC so I'm having a hard time understanding why it's even a dilemma for you to be honest.  

That's a fair observation. I didn't say any of the perks because I am not seeing a lot of them. Like I want the game but I haven't found enough reasons for me, personally, to be buying it. It will be another $60 and right in the midst of the holiday season where I am stuck buying people gifts they will more than likely hate. Money is going to be tight. Just trying to weigh in some options. But you are making a fair point. 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:06 PM, shiverz said:

Like Kean mentioned, if you are having trouble deciding and do not see any positives in getting it, you likely shouldn't. 

The biggest reason to me worth getting the game again on PC is down to the graphics and the fact that I did only play the story once. I cane easily play it again and get so much more out of it because I know I missed a lot of details and easter eggs. I am not the type to 100% a game either so I can do all the smaller missions and such I didn't do on console on PC which will lengthen the game for me as well. There is also the fact that most of my friends are PC gamers and will be getting a copy so I will have plenty of people to form a gang with. 

Mods are something as well but I am not counting on that as a reason cause it may be blocked entirely. 

Hoe much better can the game realistically look? I am sure they will release some more pictures or video showing the detail in the near future but I feel like it won't be that big of an improvement. I can be wrong though so I am not saying this is factual.  I tend to approach things with a glass half full. It'd probably be a way easier choice for me if I knew people who were getting it on PC. As of now, only one friend of mine is and he won't be playing it much since he is still in college. 

14 hours ago, KVNknowsbest said:

Hoe much better can the game realistically look? I am sure they will release some more pictures or video showing the detail in the near future but I feel like it won't be that big of an improvement. I can be wrong though so I am not saying this is factual.  I tend to approach things with a glass half full. It'd probably be a way easier choice for me if I knew people who were getting it on PC. As of now, only one friend of mine is and he won't be playing it much since he is still in college. 

That's really subjective.  I say subjective because even though we can quantify just how much better RDO could look on PC than console, there are still those who don't notice such differences.  ....or perhaps even care.  

....but for those that do, it will look absolutely amazing IMO.  You simply can't compare the limited performace of a console to the power and features of a good gaming PC. 

In case you missed it, the PC version will also include:

New graphical and technical enhancements for deeper immersion include increased draw distances for better navigation; higher quality global illumination and ambient occlusion for improved day and night lighting; higher quality snow trails, improved reflections and deeper, higher resolution shadows at all distances; tessellated tree textures and improved grass and fur textures for added realism in every plant and animal.

Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC also offers HDR support, the ability to run high-end display setups with 4K resolution and beyond, multi-monitor configurations, widescreen configurations, faster frame rates and more.

....so yeah, in answer to your question I would say "a lot better".

• Like 2

Just wait. Don't preorder it. Since you already played the game, just decide after you see others playing it on PC. You will be able to see the graphic differences first hand and be able to decide from there. If you are tight on money though, I wouldn't waste the money seeing as you already fully experienced the game. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:09 PM, Kean_1 said:

That's really subjective.  I say subjective because even though we can quantify just how much better RDO could look on PC than console, there are still those who don't notice such differences.  ....or perhaps even care.  

....but for those that do, it will look absolutely amazing IMO.  You simply can't compare the limited performace of a console to the power and features of a good gaming PC. 

In case you missed it, the PC version will also include:

....so yeah, in answer to your question I would say "a lot better".

You are right, it is a subjective importance. I didn't know all of that was being updated, I assumed it was just a basic upgrade. It sounds like they are going all out for PC gamers which is good. 

You still have time to preorder and get the deals or you can wait it out and buy later. Either way, if you think you are going to get it, it is best to just do it sooner rather than later so you can get all the free stuff included, get more for your money ya know? 

Just gate the game mate, seriously. I was in the same boat when I first heard about the PC release and I just decided to go for it. Yeah, I enjoyed the game and played it all but I can relive it again with better graphics and in the comfort of my office instead of fighting over the PS4 with my sons to play the game. 

Well, I ended up buying the game. I didn't get the great preorder deal from a few weeks ago but I still go something. I was debating on it, debating on waiting for Steam... Waiting to see how the game goes. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I am going to have a week off work now in November so I can use that time to really invest in playing the game.