Physical Disc For PC?

SNAK3S

A buddy of mine was asking. He likes to still buy discs and I know GTA V had one for PC, I have not been able to find any information for this with RDR2 though.

Anyone know if it will have a physical disc (or discs) you can buy in store or is it fully digital? 

What made them actually decide to do away with them? I know a lot of people don't run disc drives anymore but it would still be nice to have a physical disc. I actually wondered a few years back why they didn't switch to USBs over discs but I am guessing it has to do with read time speed. 

21 hours ago, redscrew said:

What made them actually decide to do away with them? I know a lot of people don't run disc drives anymore but it would still be nice to have a physical disc. I actually wondered a few years back why they didn't switch to USBs over discs but I am guessing it has to do with read time speed. 

It costs money. I mean it is easier and cheaper to just do things digitally. Didn't you hear about consoles doing this in the future too? A lot of people were not happy about it so they put it off but eventually all gaming will be done via downloads. Less plastic and waste and saved money. Maybe they will use the savings and invest in free DLC or games in general will come down in price. 

I am one of those people who don't need the physical copy of any game, be it console or PC. 

I do have a friend who is an avid collector and doesn't want to get any game without having a physical copy of it. He said that it is a classic attribute to gaming that should never be done away with. 

I have not seen the option anywhere in store so I am assuming there is not going to be a physical disc like others have said. 

I really don't see the point. If you are going to play a game like this on your computer, chances are your computer is stocked enough to handle the data and game being saved directly onto the system. 

I remember getting my first external CD-ROM player for PC gaming. I think it was a NEC 2x or 3x speed, that I got from COMPUSA. It was a really nice improvement from installing games instead of using floppies. Now a days I prefer having digital copies of games. For both PC and Console. With a fast enough internet connection, getting and installing games is convenient and PDQ. My hone internet is 100megabit per second (ISP may have increased that to 200mbs), and no data caps. So i think it took a hour or so to pre-load RDR2 (around 100Gigabytes).

When I got my PS4 in 2015 I bought a couple of disc games. I think it was Bloodborne, Destiny and Diablo 3. But I got impatient with having to get up off my couch to swap out discs when wanting to play something else. It seemed such a slower process than playing with digital copies on my PC. Perhaps the best benefit with Console gamin with discs, is you can lend/borrow games out with your buddy. Since you buy the disc game, and are able to play it on any console that has that disc in it.  You can also sell/trade in your old disc games with some stores, and other people. But I don't know how well Gamestop is doing theses days.

I upgraded to a PS4PRO and wanted to try out co-op gaming with both consoles at home. I soon learned of an added benefit to having a digital copy of the game. You can set it up so that 2 people, on 2 different machines can effectively share that 1 digital copy of the game. I'm pretty sure you can also do this on XBOX. At my home, it's great fun to play co-op like that. Dying Light and Overwatch are pretty cool played like this.

If my internet connection was poor, or non existent, then I would need to use discs. 

Edited by Volt
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, Volt said:

I remember getting my first external CD-ROM player for PC gaming. I think it was a NEC 2x or 3x speed, that I got from COMPUSA. It was a really nice improvement from installing games instead of using floppies. Now a days I prefer having digital copies of games. For both PC and Console. With a fast enough internet connection, getting and installing games is convenient and PDQ. My hone internet is 100megabit per second (ISP may have increased that to 200mbs), and no data caps. So i think it took a hour or so to pre-load RDR2 (around 100Gigabytes).

When I got my PS4 in 2015 I bought a couple of disc games. I think it was Bloodborne, Destiny and Diablo 3. But I got impatient with having to get up off my couch to swap out discs when wanting to play something else. It seemed such a slower process than playing with digital copies on my PC. Perhaps the best benefit with Console gamin with discs, is you can lend/borrow games out with your buddy. Since you buy the disc game, and are able to play it on any console that has that disc in it.  You can also sell/trade in your old disc games with some stores, and other people. But I don't know how well Gamestop is doing theses days.

I upgraded to a PS4PRO and wanted to try out co-op gaming with both consoles at home. I soon learned of an added benefit to having a digital copy of the game. You can set it up so that 2 people, on 2 different machines can effectively share that 1 digital copy of the game. I'm pretty sure you can also do this on XBOX. At my home, it's great fun to play co-op like that. Dying Light and Overwatch are pretty cool played like this.

If my internet connection was poor, or non existent, then I would need to use discs. 

That is something I think people overlook. It is just annoying when you are deciding between games to have to take out the disc and put the other one in. Then you have to worry about it getting scratched and God forbid you have cats or dogs, they might just bump the console and cause the disc to fall into the console.