Out of ammo and cash

LadyMaal

Question

I have gold bars but no cash. I had assumed you could purchase anything with gold but apparently not. I am out of ammo and out of cash.

I cannot hunt things to sell because I am out of ammo

I cannot join missions (?) because I am out of ammo.

I cannot convert gold to cash in the online game. Fence does not accept gold in online game.

Brand new player totally frustrated.. any suggestions as to what do do because I see no way to continue playing.

TY

PS I am terrible at shooting.. have not figured out how to react quickly, however when I try to wave at people I usually am hitting or shooting at them. I have ordered a game controller to try instead of keyboard and hoping that will help.

Edited by LadyMaal
  • Like 1

17 answers to this question

You've got a knife, right? 

Just off the top of my head....  You can kill someone and steal their money. You can trample on fish in the shallows of rivers and collect them in the water or as they wash up on shore. You can get up close and kill animals in a pen on farms. 

Obviously, some of those actions come with consequences of their own.

.....or how about this....  Pick herbs and sell them to the doc / shop. There's plenty of them and you can get enough money to buy some ammo so you can hunt.  

Build up your ammo next time and keep an eye on it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the suggestions. Killing is a no for me lol. I want to be a good girl.  How do I find herbs? I have read something about using dead eye but I have yet to figure out HOW to access dead eye. I am only level 5, could that be why?

Trample fish.. will try it.

Lasso a deer.. will try but so far I have not been able to get close to any animal since they run away. . except wolves! They always find me.

• Like 1

What you want to use is eagle eye and look for the little particles floating up from pick-able herbs... I don’t know the PC buttons to turn it on. As for lassoing deer, the only real way is to charge after them on your horse with no regard for breaking his leg (he won’t break his leg, though you may crash into something).

• Like 2

You don't use dead eye looking for herbs. You use Eagle Eye or simply look for them without it.  

With Eagle Eye, they will appear in fields with columns of highlight firefly's if sort rising above them. 

....sorry, don't know the functions on PC.

EDIT: looks like @The_Liquor beatme to it. :)

• Thanks 1

for dead eye just press middle mouse button that is the default.

Once you are in Dead eye assuming you have eaten and maintained your Dead eye core. (check cores by double tapping left ALT , if they are orange/red or empty you need to eat the beer in camp is great for dead eye. Then press middle mouse to go into dead eye look around and you will see like magic seeds rising from the ground (those herbs you can pick by holding R over them. Also when you get a Treasure map you can use Dead eye to find it it will also glow like the herbs but its going to be orange.. makes finding anything really easy! 

GL

• Like 1

Thanks!

I got my lasso out and naturally a cougar jumped me lol. I have to get more familiar with what keys bring up what weapons.

A friend has started this game too and just advised me to go back and do the single player story first to learn things and THEN do the online so.. I am off to try that now

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LadyMaal said:

Thanks!

I got my lasso out and naturally a cougar jumped me lol. I have to get more familiar with what keys bring up what weapons.

A friend has started this game too and just advised me to go back and do the single player story first to learn things and THEN do the online so.. I am off to try that now

That is excellent advice and what R* recommends as well.  In fact, part of the reason they delayed to the released of RDO with the console was to allow some time for players to get immersed and enjoy the campaign first.  

For some reason a think a good portion of folks jump right in to online with the idea that if they don't, they'll be left behind, etc.  

• Like 1

The doc pays a surprising amount for some of the herbs.  I drop in every now and then if I have started  getting the 'you are already carrying the maximum amount of this' prompt and sell off my excess and there are a good few dollars in it.  Plenty for some ammo.  Hunting and gathering herbs pay plenty well enough to keep yourself in ammo, weapons and a happy horse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LadyMaal said:

I found and sold some herbs but did not use dead eye (nor a lasso)

I think they're messing with you, a bit.

You don't need those things to hunt herbs, but using Eagle eye (the dead eye type thing that you can do without a gun) makes finding herbs much easier.  Just go stand in a prairie, engage eagle eye, and look for the clouds of glowing dust.

Every herb is worth 25c at the doctors - 5 minutes will get you enough for a healthy stock of ammo, and then you're back in business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1