Black Friday PS4 Specials

SageNinja

Best Buy is going to have a load of  PS4 deals going on this year. Likely because the new console will be coming out next year and they want to get as many last chance sales as they can. Anyways, here is a list of some of the deals:

Console Bundles

• Sony PS4 1TB bundle with The Last Of Us, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn plus one controller $199. That’s $100 off the console plus three great video games. Not too shabby at all.
  • PSVR bundle for $100 off. This includes “a headset, camera, multiple games, and more” and the picture shows two motion controllers as well. There are “multiple bundles” so I’m not sure which games this comes with or how much the total price is, but it does sound like you get everything you need to get started in virtual reality gaming. The PSVR is a surprisingly capable system for the price.

Accessories

• $20 to $25 off of various Sony DualShock 4 controllers in various colors.
  • $30 off Sony Gold wireless headsets. I own one of these and like it quite a lot. It’s blue, but they have rose gold and black in the picture. You can also use this with a PC.
  • Astro Gaming headsets are listed but not priced.
  • Save $200 on Logitech racing wheels.
  • Save 50% on Turtle Beach Stealth 300 headsets

Video Games for $29.99

• NHL 20 ($30 savings)
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 ($20 savings)
  • Control ($30 savings) [Note: this was a very good, very underrated single-player game!]
  • Video Games for $27.99 ($32 off)
  • Borderlands 3
  • Ghost Recon Breakout
  • FIFA 20

Video Games for $24.99

• Red Dead Redemption 2 ($35 savings)
  • Mortal Kombat 11 ($25 savings)
  • Video Games for $19.99
  • Days Gone ($20 savings)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy ($20 savings)
  • MLB The Show 19 ($10 savings)
  • MedEvil ($10 savings)
  • Dragon Quest XI ($30 savings)
  • NieR: Automata GOTY Edition ($20 savings)
  • Rage 2 ($40 savings)
  • Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville ($20 savings)
  • Concrete Genie ($10 savings)
  • Ace Combat 7 ($40 savings)

More deals and information here.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:42 PM, CrabApples said:

Some of those are pretty good deals but like you said, they want some last time sales before next year's launch. This is great for people who couldn't afford the console in the beginning but I feel like getting a new console this late is kind of a waste. 

They do this the year before every next gen release. I don't think it is a waste though. My buddy didn't get his Xbox 360 until 2012 and had a good 4 years of fun out of it.

With the PS5 supposedly being backwards compatible it might be better just to wait it out.

On the other hand, we really dont know what this new backward compatible really means. If it means that we can just pop in our old games and play, that will be great. It's not that I have any distrust of the gaming industry, but what if they do something like, say....."You can use your old games, but we need to have a small $10 fee to send you a patch to make that possible." (I am a "thrifty" old guy and would tell them to stick it, and play it on my PS4 out of spite.)

I was happy that I kept my old PS3, and didnt sell off my old games, and I was able to play the original Red Dead Redemption again. I could play online, without going through the Playstation Plus network and paying their fee. Sure....the old network wasn't as slick the newer game version, but it was free and I could piss away a little time playing poker before they added it to the new game. I also have games that I would like to revisit that I havent played in 10 years.

For me, I still see some value in owning a PS4. It still doesnt seem that outdated and there are plenty of cheap, good games available.

12 minutes ago, buttlint said:

With the PS5 supposedly being backwards compatible it might be better just to wait it out.

On the other hand, we really dont know what this new backward compatible really means. If it means that we can just pop in our old games and play, that will be great. It's not that I have any distrust of the gaming industry, but what if they do something like, say....."You can use your old games, but we need to have a small $10 fee to send you a patch to make that possible." (I am a "thrifty" old guy and would tell them to stick it, and play it on my PS4 out of spite.)

I was happy that I kept my old PS3, and didnt sell off my old games, and I was able to play the original Red Dead Redemption again. I could play online, without going through the Playstation Plus network and paying their fee. Sure....the old network wasn't as slick the newer game version, but it was free and I could piss away a little time playing poker before they added it to the new game. I also have games that I would like to revisit that I havent played in 10 years.

For me, I still see some value in owning a PS4. It still doesnt seem that outdated and there are plenty of cheap, good games available.

The backward compatibility is almost certainly regarding PS4 titles.  The big question mark in most articles is regarding the PS3, etc.  

The reason Sony didn't (or couldn't) make the PS4 compatible with PS3 was due to the hardware apparently.  That isn't the case with the PS5.  

I read an article recently that Sony's strategy will involve trying to get current PS4 owners to jump into buying PS5's sooner rather than later.  I can see backward compatibility being a huge part of that and a reason I will likely buy the PS5 upon release.  If folks can take advantage of the new hardware while still being able to play their favorite PS4 games, I can see that as a huge draw.   .....especially with some big PS4 releases still yet to come in 2020.

Personally, I highly doubt they will charge a fee to play your old games as part of their backward compatibility strategy. 

On 11/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, Kean_1 said:

I read an article recently that Sony's strategy will involve trying to get current PS4 owners to jump into buying PS5's sooner rather than later.

That is a slippery slope that could backfire if they do it wrong. They must know by now that a lot of people will sit on older consoles at least 2+ years before buying the new one. Not everyone needs the new console right away and not everyone wants to pay full price. If they start forcing it or wrongly encouraging it, they will piss people off and might do so enough to make them jump ship to Xbox. 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:01 AM, Jammin Jim said:

They do this the year before every next gen release. I don't think it is a waste though. My buddy didn't get his Xbox 360 until 2012 and had a good 4 years of fun out of it.

I guess that is a fair point. It isn't like you won't have anything to play on it. Maybe this is just more the case for online gaming then. In which, kind of dies out after 2 years on old consoles.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Thanks for the info. I understand that Gamestop has the Glacier White PS4 Pro and the regular PS4 Pro for $299.99 USD. 

I hardly ever see those around here. A friend of mine was looking for one just in August. I will let him know. He can check the stores in our area if he wants one bad enough.

• Like 1