Updates on DVD?

rpiche

Question

I feel silly asking this question but I'm desperate. I finally decided to purchase Red Dead Redemption 2. I received it today and I was very excited, couldn't wait to install it. At the beginning of the installation I got a message about a huge update (14.4 GB) .  I apparently cannot play the game without that update . Problem is I live in a very remote area and my data is very limited.  Is it possible to get those updates on a DVD somehow and install them without having to download directly to the Xbox? I hope someone has a solution for me, as I mentioned, I'm desperate!

14 answers to this question

No, the only ways would be to download it directly from Xbox Live or possibly onto a thumb drive from a computer.

You think 14.4 gb is big? I bought the new CoD last week and had to download a 65 gb update, plus the 15 gb "Season 1" update that released a few days after that.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Parzival said:

No, the only ways would be to download it directly from Xbox Live or possibly onto a thumb drive from a computer.

You think 14.4 gb is big? I bought the new CoD last week and had to download a 65 gb update, plus the 15 gb "Season 1" update that released a few days after that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Size is relative. That's why I felt silly asking the question. A year ago and for many years I had fast & unlimited internet access. Now, it's slow at best! It's unreliable, very spotty, and I'm limited to 50 gb a month. It'll take probably about 12 hrs to download BUT I have to wait until my next billing cycle starts because I have only about 6.5 gb left this month.  So yeah, it's big from my current perspective. 🤷

On 12/7/2019 at 3:10 AM, Parzival said:

I bought the new CoD last week and had to download a 65 gb update, plus the 15 gb "Season 1" update that released a few days after that.

Whelp, I won't be getting that game. LOL

On 12/6/2019 at 11:39 PM, rpiche said:

I feel silly asking this question but I'm desperate. I finally decided to purchase Red Dead Redemption 2. I received it today and I was very excited, couldn't wait to install it. At the beginning of the installation I got a message about a huge update (14.4 GB) .  I apparently cannot play the game without that update . Problem is I live in a very remote area and my data is very limited.  Is it possible to get those updates on a DVD somehow and install them without having to download directly to the Xbox? I hope someone has a solution for me, as I mentioned, I'm desperate!

I know you can do this stuff on computers, it is a no brainer but there are a lot of restrictions on consoles. I don't think they release this kind of stuff online to download anywhere either and even if they did, you would still have to download it and then burn it to a disc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KoiiBoii said:

I know you can do this stuff on computers, it is a no brainer but there are a lot of restrictions on consoles. I don't think they release this kind of stuff online to download anywhere either and even if they did, you would still have to download it and then burn it to a disc.

You can use external storage devices to store and/or transfer files I use an ext SSD to play games from). You can even download and install PS4 system updates this way.  No need to burn a disk.

......but yeah, I don't think R* offers a way to update the game on console using this method.

OP, you could always contact R* Support and ask them just to make sure.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

That would probably be the best course. I know Sony offers firmware updates online for download to USB or other storage because my PS4 got stuck in a safe mode loop a couple weeks before Ghost Recon Wildlands released in 2017 and I had to reinstall the then-latest firmware to fix it. But I've never heard of game updates being released online, and I've especially never heard of them being offered on a physical disc.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, rpiche said:

Size is relative. That's why I felt silly asking the question. A year ago and for many years I had fast & unlimited internet access. Now, it's slow at best! It's unreliable, very spotty, and I'm limited to 50 gb a month. It'll take probably about 12 hrs to download BUT I have to wait until my next billing cycle starts because I have only about 6.5 gb left this month.  So yeah, it's big from my current perspective. 🤷

Damn, I'm sorry . that must be a PITA.

But don't you have any friends or relatives or maybe a workplace with better internet that you can bring your xbox too and let it update?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 3:13 PM, Foxtrot said:

I don’t think it’s possible to download a patch and get it onto a usb stick and get that applied on another console. You’re probably stuck with having to download it by leaving your console on overnight. 

My biggest issue is the size and not necessarily the time it'll take to download.

Edited by rpiche
Typo

On 12/9/2019 at 7:12 PM, KoiiBoii said:

Whelp, I won't be getting that game. LOL

True, but if it could be done I would download the file on a mobile device while I'm somewhere with better speed & unlimited data. I could then save it on an external device, burn a disc, ...

Edited by rpiche

On 12/9/2019 at 7:18 PM, Kean_1 said:

You can use external storage devices to store and/or transfer files I use an ext SSD to play games from). You can even download and install PS4 system updates this way.  No need to burn a disk.

......but yeah, I don't think R* offers a way to update the game on console using this method.

Yes, using any kind of external device would be best for me, it doesn't have to be a disc. It was the only thing I could think of while under the influence of the anger I have towards the provider of my internet connection at home. 😡😤😠

So, where would I find the file? Would the xbox automatically recognize the file if I plug in the external drive? Or did you mean that RDR support would give all that info?

4 hours ago, Anteronoid said:

Damn, I'm sorry . that must be a PITA.

But don't you have any friends or relatives or maybe a workplace with better internet that you can bring your xbox too and let it update?

Enough of a PITA for me to change provider... It's in the works. I have extremely limited options here - no fiber optic runs here 😭

I just moved here so friends are none existent, relatives are in the same boat or worst than me (if you can beleive that) and I'm on extended sick leave BUT, I reached out to the community AND the local community center invited me to go later today with my xbox, plug it on their TV, and use their wifi (they have fiber optic there). Happy dance & merry xmas 😂🙆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpiche said:

Enough of a PITA for me to change provider... It's in the works. I have extremely limited options here - no fiber optic runs here 😭

I just moved here so friends are none existent, relatives are in the same boat or worst than me (if you can beleive that) and I'm on extended sick leave BUT, I reached out to the community AND the local community center invited me to go later today with my xbox, plug it on their TV, and use their wifi (they have fiber optic there). Happy dance & merry xmas 😂🙆

Wow, that's kind of them :)

Glad you got it sorted!

Merry Xmas!